Lovecraftian Criticism

j d worthington

Oh, I knew letting me loose on one of these newfangled machines was gonna be trouble!:p

Looking up some other information, I came across the following site, that may be of interest to those fans of HPL who enjoy some litcrit that varies from very serious to outright slapstick:

Crypt of Cthulhu Index Page

Enjoy!

Well, I'm already catching it for that last one, so I may as well add to the list (as well get hanged for a shoggoth as a Deep One....):rolleyes:

The following article was published in the Spring 1997 Lovecraft Letters

Now that was just funny.

[FONT=book antiqua,times new roman,times][FONT=book antiqua,times new roman,times]And I am calling in your aid right now in the case of old ‘Dolph! He’s too gordam [sic] fussy to make his work a paying proposition for me -- for his fiction is unspeakable, his paying ability meagre, and his demands for revision - after his first version - extensive.

LOL

I've had clients like that.
[/FONT][/FONT]

It's been quite a while with this thread; and, as Hippocampus has just updated with information with a bunch of new and forthcoming publications, thought I'd throw this one out there:

The Unknown Lovecraft- Hippocampus Press

One of Faig's (along with R. Alain Everts) specialities is research on Lovecraft's background (and that of his family), making immensely valuable contributions to our understanding of the man, and the importance of these things in Lovecraft's writing. To me, it is wonderful that these pieces are being brought back into print again....

There's not very much about the contents of the book, though.

Unless I'm misreading it, each of the pieces listed is going to be included, as well (I would expect) as others he has written over the years....

What exactly is The Unknown Lovecraft about?

As j.d. said, Ken Faig has written tons about Lovecraft's background, most of which hasn't been widely spread outside the EODapa. Among his articles of late has been a piece on Lovecraft's family, which indicates that a) Lovecraft wasn't related to the Fulford family, b) there probably never was a Minster Hall and no great-great-grandfather who spent the family fortune, c) that Lovecraft is related to George W. Bush (something like seventh cousins a few times removed or something). Another piece dealt with an amateur press club in Providence, about which very little research has been done previously.

Hence, I expect to see lots of stuff I haven't seen before, and even the stuff I have seen will be great to see again.

Once again, it's been a while for this thread, so I decided to bump it by going in a (slightly) different direction.

I've read a reasonable number of books on the subject of HPL and his work, some of which have become perennial rereads either because of the insights they bring to the subject, the writing itself, or the sheer joy of the intellectual challenge they represent.

However, I'm always on the lookout for further pieces of interest, hence would like to enlist the aid of any out there who may be aware of/have read things which I have not, and therefore can point me in the right direction. In addition, for anyone interested, I'd like to put out some suggestions on books worth giving a go, as well.

Don't be put off by the fact we're talking literary criticism here -- quite a few of these pieces are rich, thought-provoking, and often just plain fun (if in a sometimes -- though not always -- rarefied manner); especially if you enjoy having your brain tickled.

So... among those I'd recommend (though not always without a caution or two, either due to the contents being rather old and therefore superceded, or because they occasionally get a bit esoteric at times) would be:

H. P. Lovecraft: Four Decades of Criticism, ed. by S. T. Joshi
A quite good introduction to the subject of Lovecraft and Lovecraft criticism, featuring some of the earliest articles written for general consumption, going through the 1970s. The writers include Fritz Leiber, Matthew H. Onderdonk, George Wetzel, and (on the opposing side) Edmund Wilson with his "Tales of the Marvellous and Ridiculous", which has been credited with perhaps doing more than anything to retard critical examination of Lovecraft's work for several decades.

HPLA - H.P. Lovecraft: Four Decades of Criticism

The Roots of Horror in the Fiction of H. P. Lovecraft, by Barton L. St. Armand
A fascinating and challenging in-depth reading of "The Rats in the Walls"; despite the Derlethian influence, one of the most thoughtful examinations of themes and motifs in Lovecraft's fiction.

Lovecraft: A Study in the Fantastic, by Maurice Lévy (trans. by S. T. Joshi)
A very provocative book, likely to alienate those who cannot abide a look at some of Lovecraft's less pleasant ideas, yet one which is not at all unsympathetic to him as an artist and writer, and certainly a book which will add to one's appreciation of much of his achievement and its status as genuine literature.

HPLA - Lovecraft: A Study in the Fantastic

H. P. Lovecraft: A Critical Study, by Donald R. Burleson
Certainly among the best general introductions to Lovecraft's work, with some wonderful interpretations and examinations of various techniques, themes, and backgrounds; the major drawback here is that, despite its length, it would have been nice to see Burleson's examination of even more tales (as well as poems) in greater depth.

HPLA - H.P. Lovecraft: A Critical Study

H. P. Lovecraft: Disturbing the Universe, by Donald R. Burleson
Deconstructive reading of several of Lovecraft's tales. Though this particular critical approach tends to get backs up, I find it immensely rich in adding to layers on which to enjoy a piece, and Burleson's book is one of the most easily-readable deconstructive texts I've come across. A tendency to repeat certain points of the methodology, but this is a minor flaw in a book which otherwise rewards rereading.

HPLA - Lovecraft: Disturbing the Universe

An Epicure in the Terrible: A Centennial Anthology of Essays in Honor of H. P. Lovecraft, ed. by David E. Schultz and S. T. Joshi
A wide variety of approaches, from the biographical to thematic studies to those dealing with Lovecraft's use of language and his place in the pulp field (and relationship to Jorge Luis Borges), including yet more thought-provoking pieces by Burleson and St. Armand, as well as some fresh views by the likes of Will Murray, Jason C. Eckhardt, Peter Cannon, and David Schultz.

HPLA - An Epicure in the Terrible

H. P. Lovecraft: The Decline of the West, by S. T. Joshi
An examination of the philosophical underpinnings of Lovecraft's work; thought-provoking, intelligent, challenging, and well worth pondering. Discusses the development of his thought on issues political, social, ethical, and metaphysical, and how this development is reflected in (and how it directed the development of) his fiction.

HPLA - H.P. Lovecraft: The Decline of the West

There are others I'd like to suggest, but some are rather difficult to find (even using interlibrary loan), so I'll leave it at this for now.

Anyone else have suggestions to put out here? Any discussions on those mentioned, or other pieces, more than welcome....

I would like to ask , J.D., which ones did you find to be the worst or least entertaining ?

The worst? Houellebecq's Against the World, Against Life. Some interesting points here and there, but too few and far between, and frankly his arguments don't hold up all that well; he also was terribly prone to either seriously misquote or completely cobble up supposed "quotations" from Lovecraft which don't actually exist in order to support his claims. After that... I'd have to say some of Derleth's interpretations or (though I like much of his later work) Darrell Schweitzer's Dream-Quest of H. P. Lovecraft, which I found to be often rather shallow and poorly thought-out. (On the other hand, he has done some very good Lovecraft criticism since, and his Discovering H. P. Lovecraft is a rather good anthology of essays, containing some very important pieces, such as Dirk Mosig's "The Four Faces of the Outsider", Tierney's "The Derleth Mythos", and Leiber's "A Literary Copernicus" --the latter of which is also included in FDOC.)

"The least entertaining"... that one's a good deal more difficult to say, as what constitutes "entertaining" with literary criticism is even more widely diverse between individual readers than what is so described when dealing with fiction. In fact, I'm not sure I'd be able to answer that very well. Robert M. Price's more frivolous essays can be quite a hoot, but that's just it: they are quite insubstantial. (His serious essays are another matter, often well worth reading.)

I suppose, if you're looking at "entertaining" in the usual sense of the word, most of the "meatier" discussions are less so than the lighter things, simply by dint of requiring a great deal more from the reader. They can be fun, but not in a rollicking, fast-paced sort of way; more in the sense of intellectually stimulating, surprising, sometimes startling, and in the ability to elicit that more cerebral pleasure one gets from the mind working at a high level (hence the "rarefied" remark).

But if you're looking for things that make you think, and that may allow you to see new levels not only in Lovecraft, but in much of the other literature you read... then I'd say these are at the top of the list for valuable ways to spend your time....

Returning to the subject of Kenneth Faig's new book: anyone even slightly interested in Lovecraftian biography should get it. Faig's work is always fascinating, and written with an engaging dry wit.

I'm crossing my fingers that the present collection includes Faig's "Howard Phillips Lovecraft: The Early Years (1890-1914)", the most illuminating (and entertaining) study of HPL's youth which I have ever seen. Seen in part, I should say--when the essay was serialized in Nyctalops many years ago, I was only able to obtain the second half. To the best of my knowledge, it has not been reprinted in the past thirty-five years.

Agreed. I would very much like to see that as well. I've not had the chance to read a lot of Faig's pieces, but those I have, have impressed me tremendously not only with his ability to convey these things well, but the enormous amount of research done, and his perseverance and ability to ferret out details and documents long thought lost beyond the ability to retrieve.

Just got word from the publisher that "The Unknown Lovecraft" will NOT include "Early Years"--Drat!

However, he says he will suggest to Mr. Joshi that it be included in an upcoming Lovecraft Annual, so there's still hope.

Should (I hope) be receiving my copy fairly soon, along with some other recent releases.

In the meantime... has anyone out there read Lovecraft Studies 44 -- particularly Robert Marten's essay "The Pickman Models"? I'd love to see some discussion of this piece, as it carries some of the same atmospheric eeriness of Lovecraft's fiction itself... and oh, my, the new layers it adds to our understanding of Lovecraft's use of genuine history in his work! I don't think I'll ever quite see Boston the same way again.....

In the meantime... has anyone out there read Lovecraft Studies 44 -- particularly Robert Marten's essay "The Pickman Models"? I'd love to see some discussion of this piece, as it carries some of the same atmospheric eeriness of Lovecraft's fiction itself... and oh, my, the new layers it adds to our understanding of Lovecraft's use of genuine history in his work! I don't think I'll ever quite see Boston the same way again.....

I think I have that particular issue... somewhere... but I haven't read it in years.

Slightly off-topic: Another Joshi book -- Classics and Contemporaries -- has just been released.