George R R Martin: Bibliography

The Short Stories
1. The Hedge Knight
2. The Sworn Sword

??

Is that a must read to understand the series? Or just a bonus thing?

I plan to start readng the series SOIAF.

Sorry if i sound noobish, i havent read that much fantasy and dont know the rules yet.

There aren't any rules, don't worry. ;)

The two short stories (novellas, really) are set in the same world and add something to the understanding of the books, but they're absolutely not necessary to understand the series.

I just crap my pants reading that they will mod a ASOIF of medieval TW2. I pretty much pwn that shiznat!1 I've found copy's of Hedge Knight here in Vancity at Golden Age comic books emporium they have alot of LE material, I've personally met GRRM and asked him about Ned's dream and am happily satisfied with his response and hope yall dig his conclusion, peace favor the hand of the strong,long live the brotherhood,god save our souls

Series

Song of Ice and Fire

1. A Game of Thrones (1996)

2. A Clash of Kings (1998)

3. A Storm of Swords (2000)

A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings (omnibus) (2003)

4. A Feast for Crows (2005)

5. A Dance with Dragons (2005)

Love this series so far im reading storm of swords at the mo...Character wise I love Jaime I know he's twisted and evil but unlike some characters he does not pretend to be something he is not. Tyrion the imp I like his humer...whats every one elses take on them?

I like Tyrion too. I think Jamie and him could make a truly great double act.

Some addendums to the above:

A Dance with Dragons will now (probably) be out in 2008, hopefully spring-summer.

The third Dunk & Egg short story will (probably) appear in a new anthology entitled Warriors, due some time in 2008.

The World of Ice and Fire by Elio Garcia, Linda Antonsson and George RR Martin is currently in the planning stages and will be released some time after A Dance with Dragons. This book will contain lots of historical, cultural and political information not before released, never-before-seen maps of the eastern continent and possibly new castle and city maps. Elio and Linda run the westeros.org website, whose exhaustive concordance is sometimes used by GRRM himself as a reference guide.

A new version of The Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying Game is in development, following the previous version's folding. The new edition will use a whole new rules system and will be released by Green Ronin. A veteren of White Wolf and TSR, Anthony Pryor, is among the design team.

Testors lost the licence to the miniatures and miniatures game and a new company, Dark Sword Miniatures is now working on them. Figurines and busts are now being worked on by Valyrian Resin.

HBO have picked up the rights to produce a 13-episode live-action television series based on A Game of Thrones. A pilot script has been completed and HBO are currently looking at it. They haven't officially comissioned anything yet, and any potential TV series could be several years off. However, HBO generally use the options they pick up, even if they take a few years to get around to it.

Sorry, this might be out of topic, but have you guys read the latest new Ice & Fire sample on Jon Snow (it seems to be that this is all we get these days; baggers can't be choosers;)), it's pretty good...I just had a look at Martin's website today, don't know when it was last updated though, so this message might be way outdated and if so sorry in advance, just wanted to point this out.

Cheers, DeepThought

George announced a new Dunk'n Egg story in a forthcoming March anthology titled Warriors.

A team of modders are now working on a Song of Ice and Fire mod for Medieval 2: Total War. The mod will allow players to take control of one of several factions and fight for control of Westeros and the Seven Kingdoms.

The factions are:

House Stark
House Lannister
House Tully
House Arryn
House Tyrell
House Martell
House Greyjoy
Joffrey Baratheon/The Iron Throne
Stannis Baratheon/The Firery Heart
Renly Baratheon
The Night's Watch
The Wildlings

Players will be able to recruit mercenaries from the Free Cities, try to spread their religion through the land (the old gods versus the Seven versus the Lord of Light versus the Drowned God), lay siege to the castles and cities of the land, engage in naval skirmishes and face down the threat of the Wildlings, whilst winter advances from the north. At the moment there are no plans to include Daenerys or the Others in the game, but this could change. The mod is at a very early stage of development and could be a year or more away from completion. However, there will be releases before that.

The mod (which is naturally free, due to copyright issues) will require that the player have a purchased copy of Medieval 2: Total War.

I know this is like 3 years too late but, did this ever come into fruition? I have Medieval 2: Total War as well and would love to play the modded version.

Hey, in case you missed it... and I think we all did. GRRM posted on his Not A Blog regarding future audio recordings. Check out his June 9th, 2012 entry Audiobooks Times Three. Here's the nitty gritty... He's got three actors from HBO's AGOT to read for him. Ron Donachie, who plays Ser Rodrik Cassel and who sports Westeros' longest sideburns, is reading Fevre Dream. Michelle Fairley, who is awesome as Lady Catelyn Stark, will be reading Windhaven. And Iain Glen, aka Ser Jorah Mormont, will read Dying of the Light.

Imp, are you getting these when they're released?

Hey, in case you missed it... and I think we all did. GRRM posted on his Not A Blog regarding future audio recordings. Check out his June 9th, 2012 entry Audiobooks Times Three. Here's the nitty gritty... He's got three actors from HBO's AGOT to read for him. Ron Donachie, who plays Ser Rodrik Cassel and who sports Westeros' longest sideburns, is reading Fevre Dream. Michelle Fairley, who is awesome as Lady Catelyn Stark, will be reading Windhaven. And Iain Glen, aka Ser Jorah Mormont, will read Dying of the Light.

Imp, are you getting these when they're released?

Is there any update about this at all? :)

Eversummer, I don't have a clue. Unless, GRRM posts on his "Not A Blog" and actually happen to read it, then I am ignorant. But I did see on the January 22, 2013 post that his new anthology, Dangerous Women, is finished and going to the publisher. The last story in it is by GRRM and is titled, "The Princess and the Queen." It's about the origins of the Dance of the Dragons. This will be his first story of Westeros not involving the stories of ASOIAF or Dunk'nEgg tales.

I can highly recommend Sandkings.
One of my all time favourite short stories.