Myblack

rubixcubix

( apologise if this has already been discussed - Search yielded no results )

I was a little disappointed he never communicated with her - I felt everything was leading up to it. I really missed the animal insight that Nighteyes gave.

Myblack was said to be more of a solitary creature, happier with her own kind but I always thought that they'd have a semi-bond at least, in which their independency prevails.
I think I just feel ripped off that they had the conversation about them eventually revealing their names and she always remained "Myblack".
However writing this has been rather cathartic and I think I understand it - there would be no point in bonding and her presence was more symbolic and necessary, though I'd still like to read other opinions!

Hello and welcome to Chronicles, Rubix!

Hmmm, to me when Fitz had Myblack, he still shared the bond with Nighteyes and Fitz always bonded with canines, not horses; Smithy and Nosy.

When Nighteyes died, I wanted Fitz to bond again, but I know it was selfish and was glad (although a little disappointed) when he did not bond again. Myblack just doesn’t suit Fitz, well that’s what I think though. Remember, Fitz shared a very deep bond with Nigtheyes and they had been together for many, many years. I don’t think it’s fair if Fitz bonded, because no one can ever replace Nighteyes.

I'll add my welcome, too. Good to see you, Rubixcubix!

As for Myblack, well as Kitera said, I don't think anyone could have replaced Nighteyes - perhaps even for Fitz.

I thought there was going to be something else about Myblack though. . . a bit more of a story. Maybe that she was already bonded to somebody else. Wanted him to rename her though!!

i certainly wanted Myblack to be renamed. i think she was worthy of a noble name

Personnally i think Myblack suits the horse perfectly

*spoilers*

This is another reason why I love Robin Hobb so much. The continuity. She didn't forget about Myblack at all. Near the end of Fool's Fate when Fitz and the Fool are talking about how he put himself into the dragon, the Fool says, "Even after you came back to Buckkeep, you held yourself apart from it. No matter what I did or offered. Myblack. You couldn't even connect to a horse." This is in chapter 30, "Whole" on page 738 in the version of the book I have, at least.

Fitz got rid of his pain by putting it into the dragon, but had all his joys dulled as well so couldn't enjoy anything or connect to anyone.

yeah I agree that bonding with Myblack would be demeaning and i'd probably feel cheated but still, i thought she'd be named. Myblack is so impersonal and cold.. I remember how it was said Burrich took great care in naming animals -no Blackies or Spots - something like that.

This is a little off topic but did anyone feel depressed over Fitz's and Nighteye's bond in Fool's Errand? It seemed to give both little joy and they didn't seem to value each other as much.. Was this the numbing of Fitz.. or were they just so comfortable and used to each other? Argh I need to stop overanalysing the books.

Back