Fantasy cliches that make you want to kill someone

Isn't there a Star Wars game in which you get to hunt down the Ewoks?

This is basically the plot of Wrath of the Lemming Men.

The fact the "heroes" wife is always raped and murdered. Zzzzzz Can't it just be that she's far away and his struggle is to reunite? Oh no, she must be dead, preferably murdered and of course raped.
Nobody's spouse in a fantasy novel dies while the hero is away doing a menial household chore. Can't the hero be tortured by the fact that he forgot to replace the light in the basement, or put a slip resistant rug in the shower?:unsure:

The brave and generic Prince /Peasant/ Magician apprentice armed with the stand issues magic sword /enchanted pitch fork/ Multipurpose Wand and coffee grinder , does battle with generically fearsome Dragon/Witch / Wizard living in a stereotypical run down Gothic Palace with a Piranha gator infested moat with no drawbridge. :D

The brave and generic Prince /Peasant/ Magician apprentice armed with the stand issues magic sword /enchanted pitch fork/ Multipurpose Wand and coffee grinder , does battle with generically fearsome Dragon/Witch / Wizard living in a stereotypical run down Gothic Palace with a Piranha gator infested moat with no drawbridge. :D
You forgot to mention there's gonna be a trip through a sewer.

Last edited:
You forgot to mention there's gonna be a trip through a sewer.

There's always a sewer in those places . I knew I forgot something important, And very likely it will be infested with supersized humankind like rodent creatures armed with slightly rusted swords:confused:

Last edited:
Chosen one syndrome. "You, my child, are the only person in all the universe that can defeat this evil/king/barber despite the fact that we have whole armies trained to fight this thing."

I think that particular trope IS going to outlive the whole fantasy genre. :D

Last edited:
The protagonist is a good guy, and good always triumphs in the end (well about 99% of the time). Don't get me wrong, I like novels this way, but it would be nice to have some question over whether the hero will win through.

Interestingly in this month's Writers Magazine there is an article about fantasy tropes.

The Frogtrollwerewolve who is really a handsome prince who , had the misfortune of running in a moderately wicked witch who having a bad day needed to take out her anger and frustration on the first person she ran happened to run into on the road, which in this case , was the aforementioned handsome Prince who, really should have stayed home on that particular day. :D

The missing royal heir kidnapped as a Child comes back to the kingdom to reclaim the throne from the dastardly Usurper who usually turns out to be a relative. :)