• Male

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • Female

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 20 24.7%

• Total voters

Warren Kramer

I did not vote, since the answer I've long suspected is not among the choices.

As you can see, I chose an older Fitz as my avatar. Obviously, the series—and this question—means something to me. So before I tell you my longtime suspicion, let me make a few points.

1. This is a purposeful mystery by the author. If, after 9 Farseer books, she does not reveal the answer, she wanted this exact type of discussion to occur. Therefore, the Fool may be neither or both by design.

2. Robin Hobb still had something in mind besides the mystery though. She envisions the Fool as some gender.

3. Fitz cannot possibly NOT know the answer. Not only did Fitz (as others have pointed out) save the Fool on multiple occasions in situations in which it would've been difficult for Fitz not to discover the answer, Fitz also shared minds with the Fool. For a stretch of time, they knew each other's every thought. Fitz could not have linked minds with the Fool without knowing whether he "dangles or dimples" as the Fool once put it.

4. I see this discussion has been going on for a long time (years), with no definitive word one way or the other, as Hobb likely hoped. I have not read every post, but I don't think my view on this has been mentioned...

So, what is my view? What if the Fool is a hermaphrodite? This would explain why the Fool is so shy about anyone seeing him/her naked. That would also explain how Fitz could be of a single mind with the Fool, yet come away with no better insight into this question than before this mind link.

So does the Fool dangle or dimple? The answer is both. The Fool is either a hermaphrodite or the equivalent of this, peculiar to the species from whence the Fool comes.

Warren Kramer

Hello Warren and welcome to the Chrons ! :)

I suppose you didn't read the last series and see how it ends, did you ?

Hi Alexa, Yes, I've read all nine of the Farseer books. Did I miss something? Am I mistaken in concluding that the author left the question open?

Alexa

traveller space dreamer
It depends what kind of books you've read. We have The Farseer Trilogy (3 books), The Livership Traders Trilogy (3), The Tawn Man Trilogy (3), The Rain Wilds Chronicles (4) and the last one ended last year, The Fitz and the Fool Trilogy (3).

If you still wonder about the Fool's gender, I suspect you have a few more books to read. :)

Warren Kramer

It depends what kind of books you've read. We have The Farseer Trilogy (3 books), The Livership Traders Trilogy (3), The Tawn Man Trilogy (3), The Rain Wilds Chronicles (4) and the last one ended last year, The Fitz and the Fool Trilogy (3).

If you still wonder about the Fool's gender, I suspect you have a few more books to read. :)

I've read all but the Liveship Traders Trilogy and came away with the impression that Robin Hobb never fully committed to an answer on this question. Readers all over the web, including many who've read all your listed books, continue to discuss this issue as if it were unsettled. So either I (we) missed something, the definitive answer is in the Liveship trilogy, or your reference is to some information that other readers do not consider the definitive word on the subject.