Dawn Dragon - the whole Prologue

Eragon sprang to my mind as well when I read it, although of course with many differences. However, if I am thinking correctly, Mr Robson mentioned a story involving dragons and world war one aeroplanes. I'm sure that's what he mentioned when he visited our school. In which case I believe it will be VERY different to Eragon and also a very interesting read!
Nicola x

Sorry to keep banging on about Eragon.. lol, but I have just started reading it, too, and i can safely say your prologue is a darn sight better than the one in there. Altough you can probably see that for yourself.

I'm intrigued by your proposed theme, Mark.. and am curious - do you intend to have the dragons play a part in the war itself?

MJRevell said:
I'm intrigued by your proposed theme, Mark.. and am curious - do you intend to have the dragons play a part in the war itself?

Indeed I am. I've bought several books on the Royal Flying Corps and intend to do my research thoroughly ... to the point that I intend to go and fly a biplane in order to get a feel for how they handle. My background is in flying jets, so I imagine the really old aircraft handle considerably differently to the ones I'm used to. I may even take a trip to France to see where they flew from.

Of course the whole dragon involvement will be highly top secret. We wouldn't want the honourable enemy knowing we had allies they were not aware of, would we?

Mark Robson said:
Indeed I am. I've bought several books on the Royal Flying Corps and intend to do my research thoroughly ... to the point that I intend to go and fly a biplane in order to get a feel for how they handle. My background is in flying jets, so I imagine the really old aircraft handle considerably differently to the ones I'm used to.

Mark,
This is probably a little like teaching your grandmother to suck eggs, but have you had a go on a flight simulator on your home PC? I know it doesn't reproduce the physical effects of flying (unless you've got one heck of a PC!), but Microsoft Flight Simulator (all the versions) has a simulation of a Tiger Moth, I think. Might be a fun way of warming up for the real thing perhaps?!

Cheers,
Patrick.

Patrick Mahon said:
Mark,
This is probably a little like teaching your grandmother to suck eggs, but have you had a go on a flight simulator on your home PC? I know it doesn't reproduce the physical effects of flying (unless you've got one heck of a PC!), but Microsoft Flight Simulator (all the versions) has a simulation of a Tiger Moth, I think. Might be a fun way of warming up for the real thing perhaps?!

Cheers,
Patrick.

A good idea, Patrick, but simulation - particularly on a PC is not going to answer the questions I have. It's not the mechanics of the flying that I want to get the experience of - I've flown many light aircraft. What I'm more interested in is the sensations one would experience flying in something made out of wood, paper and wire. The smells, the sounds, the size of the cockpit - that sort of stuff. I've only ever flown open cockpit in a glider ... actually that's not quite true. I did fly a jet provost with the canopy open on a few occasions to see what it would feel like. Even with a modern helmet on it was incredibly noisy! I digress, my motivation towards flying a biplane is more to gain a tactile feel for what it must have been like to fly one in combat.

Thanks, Mark. Sorry - should have realised that you were likely to be looking for a more authentic experience than that offered by a simulator. So how are you planning to do this? If this were a Cessna we were talking about, you'd presumably just go to the nearest airfield and hire one for a couple of hours. But I presume most biplanes, with the exception of the 'wingwalker' display types, are presumably in collections these days. So how does one go about getting to fly one?

Reading this i am as impressed as i always am by your writing Mark. i started reading your books less than a week after the darkweaver legacy appeared, and that series fast progressed into my 'most read' few series of books. I must have read the whole series about 8 times now, and it is never any less exciting and gripping than before. This series promises to be just as gripping, with little i, with my little knowledge of fictional writing, can find to criticise. Just about all of my questions have been asked and answered by the people before me, however i do have one question:
Will there be any more different types of dragon than the ones already mentioned, that Elian has never heard of? or are the dark, day, dusk, and dawn dragons the only types?

Reading this i am as impressed as i always am by your writing Mark. i started reading your books less than a week after the darkweaver legacy appeared, and that series fast progressed into my 'most read' few series of books. I must have read the whole series about 8 times now, and it is never any less exciting and gripping than before. This series promises to be just as gripping, with little i, with my little knowledge of fictional writing, can find to criticise. Just about all of my questions have been asked and answered by the people before me, however i do have one question:
Will there be any more different types of dragon than the ones already mentioned, that Elian has never heard of? or are the dark, day, dusk, and dawn dragons the only types?

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad to hear that you have enjoyed my work so much. It always brings me great pleasure to hear from readers who have immersed themselves in my little world.

I should say to begin with that the story here is unique, as I ditched this scene in favour of a more dramatic opening, so the finished book will see Elian meet Ryshell under very different circumstances. However, those who read this small snippet will be able to say that they've seen the birthplace of the idea for the series.

The four types of dragon mentioned are the only dragons in my new world who (traditionally) bond with riders. There are two other types of dragons in the world I'm creating: ice dragons and water dragons. I'm already beginning to see possibilities of stories beyond the planned four book series, but I don't want to get drawn too deeply into those at this stage. I have enough problems ahead without projecting that far into the future!

Wow Mark! :)
That is great, and i think dragons popping up in the middle of history is such a good idea for a plot...
I really enjoyed that snippet and if you ever need someone to proof read for you, you know where i am! That reminds me of a mistake in imperial spy something like a name mix up, i will try and find it...:D

M@

Thanks, Mark. Sorry - should have realised that you were likely to be looking for a more authentic experience than that offered by a simulator. So how are you planning to do this? If this were a Cessna we were talking about, you'd presumably just go to the nearest airfield and hire one for a couple of hours. But I presume most biplanes, with the exception of the 'wingwalker' display types, are presumably in collections these days. So how does one go about getting to fly one?

Can't believe I missed this for so long - sorry, Patrick. There are several Tiger Moths still available to be hired. They have one at Duxford that I intend to have a go in, but there are many more around at various airfields around the UK. I'm really looking forward to the experience.