Wilkie Collins

I've recommended The Woman in White as a good entry book for some readers into the realm of the long Victorian novel.

I recently finished a languid reading of The Woman in White. Rather good, with good characters and a super plot, though I've been a little spoiled by the eccentricity and verve that Dickens brings to his characters, that Collins' novel seemed a little 'straight' to me, if can see what I mean. To be recommended though, if you like Victorian dramatic novels. This is the classic mid-Victorian 'sensational' novel, and in some ways one of the first 'detective novels' perhaps. I thought Laura Fairlie was a complete drip lacking in any interest or appeal, but the heroine often was in such books. Dicken's heroines were often the least interesting and appealing characters in his books too. In contrast, Fosco is great, and the weak and indolent Frederick Fairlie was a very interesting and inventive caricature.

I'm sorry to disagree with everyone, but I read both The Moonstone and The Woman in White many years ago, and found them very dull.
I don't remember much more about them than that.
That I read them both must imply that there was something in TM to encourage me to read TWIW but I can't remember.

The fact that I can't remember much makes my negative review somewhat worthless perhaps. So you'd probably do well to listen to the enthusiasts rather than me. :)