First Lines

She'd often heard men say how they wanted to die in bed but, having had one come and go like that, she knew the nightmares that awaited the surviving partner.

It was the repetitive sound of stone hitting glass that woke him - soft enough, certainly, but thrown with enough force to rouse him - and he got out of bed to see who was summoning him at such an ungodly hour.

(love the piano sequence, Tal, Cul, IM!)

As he put his second boot on, he remembered, with a sudden qualm, the advice about shaking them out first. With the sudden sharp pain in his toe, the advice, and everything else, became irrelevant.

"Okay, which of you clowns hit the big red button?" the controller of the nuclear bunker demanded.

Glass broke underfoot. The picture in the frame revealed a once happy family. The blood on my hands was a reminder of my genius; so why did my heart despise me?

Not technically a first line, but it could really swing as one: It's actually at the end of a paragraph, but well.

The coffin business was booming, but they were running out of places to put them.

Also, one I'm tinkering with right now for something that'll be exceedingly short:

Careful Notes on Time Travel: The most important thing one should note about time travel is to always, if you are able, to travel back. Customs, mores, and acceptable behaviours of past times are precisely cataloged, and you can read up to make your visit a pleasant one (visit your local library for more information).

Two sentences :-/ I cheated.

She had waited so long for something perfect and beautiful in her life, and when it came her elation was subdued by the utter horrors left in its wake.

Love is supposed to be something beautiful, something warm and safe and pure. This love isn't like that. This is a love to destroy worlds.

It was supposed to be the technological breakthrough of all time - after all, no-one else had been able to utilize the forces of magic as a power source - but although it provided free energy for all, the ulterior cost was far too high.