Jack Vance

Thanks for the warning though regarding the collections, I will try to make sure that they aren't stories extracted from the Dying Earth series (that I want to collect separately and in full).
To the best of my knowledge the Fantasy Masterwork edition by our friends at VG collects the entire set of stories. I'm hoping to revisit the book after the inspiring Vance discussion I attended at this year's WroldCon, which included George RR Martin on the panel.

@Conn: Mockingbird and Pavane are certainly worth reading....:)

To the best of my knowledge the Fantasy Masterwork edition by our friends at VG collects the entire set of stories. I'm hoping to revisit the book after the inspiring Vance discussion I attended at this year's WroldCon, which included George RR Martin on the panel.
Unfortunately, I ended up picking up the first book "Tales of Dying Earth" individually so now I'm looking for the rest individually. The same happened with Gene Wolfe's "Book of the New Sun Vol. 2" as I picked up book three on it's own and now can't find book four! :rolleyes:

Connavar

When I say I haven't come across them, I mean second hand. Sure, I could get "Emphyrio" new easily enough (although not the "Jack Vance Treasury" or "Wild Thyme, Green Magic") but there's so many books I'm after and so little money to spend on them that I have to make hard choices (you know how it is). "Emphyrio" was one of the books I considered recently when I decided to buy a couple of SF Masterworks new but it lost out to other choices ("Pavane" by Keith Roberts and "Mockingbird" by Walter Tevis).

Thanks for the warning though regarding the collections, I will try to make sure that they aren't stories extracted from the Dying Earth series (that I want to collect seperately and in full).

You are in UK i was hoping you could get lucky with real second hand stores even if Jack Vance is american he shouldnt be too hard to find specially with recent collections,novels. Also there are places like Play.com that have cheap euro,no shipping cost. Abebooks that have many UK sellars.

If you cant afford new books there is good cheap second hand places online close to where you live shipping wise. You can get books that cost as much what a pizza will cost you.

I see what you mean by not affording new books, i just went back to the University and i cant dream about spending money even on my fav author. Funny how you go from high book spending only months ago to cheap student livestyle :p

You are in UK i was hoping you could get lucky with real second hand stores even if Jack Vance is american he shouldnt be too hard to find specially with recent collections,novels.
Well, I do see quite a bit of Vance second hand but mostly stuff I've never heard of/wasn't looking for. And even though buying second hand is cheaper, I still have to limit my purchases. For one thing, there's not much point in buying books faster than I can read them.

Anyway, I'll take a closer look at those Vance collections when I'm back there next time and may pick one up...

I agree there is no much sense in buying books faster than you can read. Even my top authors i buy books only when i have only one or two their books unread at home. I only pick second hand books of JV when i need. To Live Forever from 1956,Blue World,The Five Gold Bands i picked from bookmooch because i had to before i lost them to other members. Free Jack Vance can break my rule.

Gollum: Pavane is a known book to me and highest on my list of next SFM book hual. Tevis books is not high on my list. I have books by Sheri S. Tipper,Christoper Priest,John Sladek books after Pavane.
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/20560.Sheri_S_Tepper

Because I have nothing else to do,I'll heartily recommend some good Jack Vance for anyone who is interested and who hasn't already got it...
Yesterday I finished an early story from 1952 that I'd never read before called,'Abercrombie Station'...I reckon this is Jack at his best! It's a really funny and different little story. Normally I'm not a huge fan of 'funny' science fiction (Kuttner's silly robots and hillbillies etc...Frederic Brown's silly stuff about Dancing Sandwiches...:rolleyes:) but Jack Vance can do it without trying to be funny. All his stuff is like that. This 'Abercromie Station' story is the sort of thing that all of a sudden you will just burst out laughing at some droll line...even if you are in the house alone,you know? A warning though...if you are like,really fat,maybe you won't think it's that funny! Ok?
Some other favourite stories:
'The Son of The Tree','The Blue World','The Brains of Earth (also called 'Nopalgarth')...etc etc.
There's a 70's paperback collection called 'Phantasms And Magics' that has some of the WEIRDEST (and best,I think) science fiction ever!
Of course,the Dying Earth stuff is all really good,even the 80's ones...my favourites were 'The Eyes of The Overworld' and maybe 'Cugel'.
As has also been mentioned a lot here,The Lyonesse Trilogy is also excellent...in my view,it's way better than anything else from the 80's or since in the fantasy scene...bar none.
All the 60's and 70's series,Star Kings,Durdane,Big Planet,etc etc are also mostly pretty good IMHO.
I was not overly impressed with,'The Gray Prince' or 'Araminta Station' though.

I read one "short story" of Vance's that was actually a chapter from one of the Dying Earth books. The short story was in a "Wizards and Witches" compilation, edited, I think, by Asimov. Anyways, the story was very good, and, encouraged, I just bought the Dying Earth omnibus. Looking forward to reading it once I finish a few other books!

Because I have nothing else to do,I'll heartily recommend some good Jack Vance for anyone who is interested and who hasn't already got it...
Yesterday I finished an early story from 1952 that I'd never read before called,'Abercrombie Station'...I reckon this is Jack at his best! It's a really funny and different little story. Normally I'm not a huge fan of 'funny' science fiction (Kuttner's silly robots and hillbillies etc...Frederic Brown's silly stuff about Dancing Sandwiches...:rolleyes:) but Jack Vance can do it without trying to be funny. All his stuff is like that. This 'Abercromie Station' story is the sort of thing that all of a sudden you will just burst out laughing at some droll line...even if you are in the house alone,you know? A warning though...if you are like,really fat,maybe you won't think it's that funny! Ok?
Some other favourite stories:
'The Son of The Tree','The Blue World','The Brains of Earth (also called 'Nopalgarth')...etc etc.
There's a 70's paperback collection called 'Phantasms And Magics' that has some of the WEIRDEST (and best,I think) science fiction ever!
Of course,the Dying Earth stuff is all really good,even the 80's ones...my favourites were 'The Eyes of The Overworld' and maybe 'Cugel'.
As has also been mentioned a lot here,The Lyonesse Trilogy is also excellent...in my view,it's way better than anything else from the 80's or since in the fantasy scene...bar none.
All the 60's and 70's series,Star Kings,Durdane,Big Planet,etc etc are also mostly pretty good IMHO.
I was not overly impressed with,'The Gray Prince' or 'Araminta Station' though.

Jesus you sound like a copy of me !

I read 'Abercrombie Station' two weeks in the brand new Hard Luck Diggins collection of his early stories. It was a real funny story and strong female character. It has a sequal story i must find.

Cugel stories of DE is what made me Jack Vance fan in 2007 and have not looked back since then reading over 20 collections,books of him. My alltime fv writer of them that i read often. Already read 3 books in janauri.

Gray Prince i thought was too bleak without a soul,not great enough to be Vance. Seemed like he got more bitter world view. Good to know Lyoneese series from the 80s when he was in his 70s is so hailed by so many fans,critics.

Jesus you sound like a copy of me !

I read 'Abercrombie Station' two weeks in the brand new Hard Luck Diggins collection of his early stories. It was a real funny story and strong female character. It has a sequal story i must find.

Cugel stories of DE is what made me Jack Vance fan in 2007 and have not looked back since then reading over 20 collections,books of him. My alltime fv writer of them that i read often. Already read 3 books in janauri.

Gray Prince i thought was too bleak without a soul,not great enough to be Vance. Seemed like he got more bitter world view. Good to know Lyoneese series from the 80s when he was in his 70s is so hailed by so many fans,critics.
:):eek: Well,I look a bit like your avatar...;)
Yes,good call,'Abercrombie Station' certainly has a very strong female character! What a girl!