What comic books/graphic novels are you reading at the moment?

Read the first two issues of THE RETURN OF BRUCE WAYNE mini-series by Grant Morrison. Good stuff so far. The superstitious quagmire of the Puritans in issue 2 really made me angry.

X-files/30 Days of Night...

I normally don't read comics or Graphic Novels (with the exception of the Dark Tower series), however this mini-series seems too good to miss. Also I am a huge fan of Adam Jones so it's like icing on the cake!

Last one I read was:
Amazon.com: Epileptic (9780375423185): David B.: Books

This was actually one of the first graphic novels I've ever read by choice. I was blown away. I really love the artwork and the content is interesting. I actually had trouble putting the book down; it actually hurt to stop.

The first graphic novel that I read was for school. And I'm extremely glad I was introduced to it. It's amazing. It was Art Spiegelman's MAUS series. Also couldn't put that down.

I'm not reading any at the moment, but I am open to suggestions. :)

Just read Warren Ellis' Ocean. A UN weapons inspector goes to Jupiter.

Had a read through Mezolithic today -- the story of a boy on the verge of manhood 10,000 years ago, and his adventures. Very impressed by the stories and the art.

Finally tracked down part of the manga based on the Suikoden III series, and I've been reading that. Hoping to get the rest of the series soon.

Just finished a Hellblazer Constantine trade by Mike Carey, and two Boom! Studios trades, one called Station, a murder mystery on the international space station, and one called The Foundation, about a group created by Nostradamus to make sure none of his predictions every come true and so far they've succeeded, people think he was just a crank.

Just finished the fifth and final part to the "Batman and Superman Versus the Undead" arc in BATMAN CONFIDENTIAL. Great story, super art, perfect this time of year being so close to Halloween. Recommended if you can find all five parts.

I'm ashamed to say I'm not reading anything at the moment, though I have a big stack of stuff prepared. I'm trying to muster my courage and get through the last couple of years of Marvel events, everything after 'World War Hulk'.
Can I say how worried I am of another bomb like 'One more day'?

I just finished Volume 1 of Kevin SMith's Green Hornet (this is the story he wrote for the movie that he himself decided he wasn't good enough to direct, and backed out of). I liked his treatment, as well as the interesting and sexy choice of a female "Kato," and after KS saw the graphic treatment given to it by Phil Hester and Jonathan Lau, he decided that it would have made an excellent movie.

I recommend it to anyone who likes the pulp-heroes of old.

Just recently finished Hotwire: Requiem for the Dead. I figured - despite my love for Daredevil, Spiderman, and the Hulk - that I'd really like to read something I hadn't seen before, and I'm really glad I picked it up. Awesome story, beautiful artwork.

And for school, I had a class where we only read comics - can't beat that! Sure, it was still the kind of work you'd expect to read in a college class but in comic book form. I was quite engrossed in both Persepolis and Logicomix.

Hi everyone,
To answer the question, I have read Maus I and II, Persepolis as well as Watchmen. I am actually going to be an English teacher next year and I wanted to know what all of you guys think about using graphic novels in the classroom? Why would they work and how do you think students would react? What is it about the graphic novels that you guys enjoy? The feedback will be greatly appreciated! :)

Hi Michael 01,

I see that you are the most recent user, so I was wondering if you could answer the questions in the post that I added below your last one. It would be really helpful and I'd appreciate it so much! By the way, it's high school English I will be teaching if that makes a difference for the questions. And to add to my other questions, why were you so "engrossed" by Persepolis?

Well...maybe answering your question about Persepolis will help me get started on my final paper, eh?

First, as far as teaching comics in a high school class, I really wouldn't know. I've heard that, at least in the states, teachers really don't have much freedom over the curriculum - they have to stick with what the Board advises (or something like that). I don't know if that's true, because it's hearsay. Sounds plausible, though.

What's not to like about Persepolis? At the very least, it exposed me to a different viewpoint that I couldn't possibly imagine alone. And learning what it was like to live in Iran during the Islamic revolution through eyes of a little girl? Priceless! It also provides some history for the region, her experiences living in Western societies, etc. etc.

Yes, I will question everything, although it's hard to question something with which you have no experience. Oh, I can relate to some things Marjane experienced as a teenager, just not within the same context.

Yeah I agree with you on all of that. Do you think if it was a novel without pictures you would enjoy it just as much? What effect do the pictures have on your interaction with the text? By the way thanks so much for your reply!

No problem! You know, with a question like that, you're already starting to sound like a teacher. It's a good question, and I'm not sure I can answer it with confidence. I think - offhand - maybe not, because it isn't the sort of thing I usually read. Most often, even if I'm not reading SFF, I'm at least reading fiction, although I also like to read nonfiction books about science. Autobiographies, though...not my thing.

On the other hand, I think the comic book form made the autobiography more accesible to a reader like me. Satrapi's artistic style, in some ways a little unusual (as you would expect for someone who grew up in a different culture), and her sometimes humorous portrayals really drew me in. Mind you, I'm also partial to color in my comics, but I can ovelook that sometimes.

Edit: Effect the pictures had? Hmm. I bet that just reading the words "We didn't really like to wear the veil, especially since we didn't understand why we had to," while interesting and provacative, would not have the same effect as reading them and seeing a picture of a schoolyard full of girls playing with their veils. Putting them together helped me to enjoy it more. That particular panel is funny, informative, thought-provoking, and in some ways even a little nostalgic.

Last edited:
Not yet but soon... Transmetropolitan Volume Six (Ellis, Robertson) and The Killing Joke (Moore, Bolland).

Back