What comic books/graphic novels are you reading at the moment?

Fullmetal Alchemist, Hiromu Arakawa which I'm greatly enjoying.:)

Cheers, DeepThought

Just finished Maus - Superb, I am converted....

Have ordered Watchmen and The Crow, but also looking at getting Fables -

Thanks DeepThought!!

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Both books are very good, although a sort of cynicism creeps into the second, as though Alan Moore was getting tired of it. I think the Martians could actually have been more exciting, and that Moore concentrates too much on Mr Hyde as a character, when the other members of the League are just as interesting.

But it's high-quality steampunk, and you can't go wrong with that. Hurrah!

Still reading Y. I'm all out of Fables graphic novels, so I've moved onto Jack of Fables. Not as good, but still pretty entertaining.

Just finished Maus - Superb, I am converted....

Have ordered Watchmen and The Crow, but also looking at getting Fables -

Thanks DeepThought!!
You're welcome!:)

Just wait till you read something like the Watchmen or Sandman!, if they ain't great literature I don't know what is...:D
Hehe i told you so :)

Are you reading the books or hm the scans ?
Thanks connavar, I'm seriously thinking of gettting the mangas for the ones you recommended earlier; Berserk and Death Note. It seems that a friend of mine had already watched the Anime for the aforementioned pair and he too is raving about them.:D

By "Books" you mean manga?, if so, yes. :)

Cheers, DeepThought

The books i mean the collections of the manga. Manga's fame in the west is mostly thanks to great collections by TokyoPop,Dark Horse,Viz etc

Berserk was licensed years ago so you can find it in any comic shop.

DONT watch the anime of Berserk or Death Note. Both are dark mangas that got butchered when they were censored, totaly rewritten to be more kiddie like in the anime versions....

That happens to must adult manga that becomes anime.

Yep, I'm holding in my hands, a collection published by a company called Chuang YI (the first volume) which contains the FMA mangas:

The Two Alchemists
The Price of Life
The Coal Mine Town
The Great Railroad Heist

"DONT watch the anime of Berserk or Death Note. Both are dark mangas that got butchered when they were censored, totaly rewritten to be more kiddie like in the anime versions...."

I actually don't like Anime, in fact Akira (it blew my six year old pampered mind at the time, not surprising since I was initially fed a stable diet of D&D: the animated series, Tom & Jerry, Scooby Doo etc.:eek: well you get the picture...), Ghost in the Shell and a few random episodes of Cowboy Bebop are the only three Japanese cartoons/Anime I remember watching, all fantastic, mind bending in their own way. I learned (the hard way) a long time ago that art, may it be TV, Novel/Fiction or the myriad of other mediums it is presented in, is at it's greatest in the form/medium it was originally conceived; take Starwars for example, the movies were great, in a swashbuckling romantic sort of way (atleast the original three, not the prequels:D) but the novelizations are pure crap etc. etc. So, I have no intention of watching Anime if it is derived from Manga, but on the other hand if it so happens that it's the other way around then I might be tempted...perhaps a re-watching of Cowboy Bebop is in order. :)

Cheers, DeepThought

Last edited:
Yep, I'm holding in my hands, a collection published by a company called Chuang YI (the first volume) which contains the FMA mangas:

The Two Alchemists
The Price of Life
The Coal Mine Town
The Great Railroad Heist

"DONT watch the anime of Berserk or Death Note. Both are dark mangas that got butchered when they were censored, totaly rewritten to be more kiddie like in the anime versions...."

I actually don't like Anime, in fact Akira (it blew my six year old pampered mind, not surprising since I was initially fed a stable diet of D&D, Tom & Jerry, Scooby Doo etc.:eek: well you get the picture...), Ghost in the Shell and a few random episodes of Cowboy Bebop are the only three I watched, all fantastic, mind bending in their own way. I learned a long time ago that art, may it be TV, Novel/Fiction or any other medium, is at it's greatest in the form/medium it was originally conceived; take Starwars for example, the movies were great, in a swashbuckling romantic sort of way (atleast the original three, not the prequels:D) but the novelizations are pure crap etc. So, I have no intention of watching Anime if it is derived from Manga, but if it so happens that it's the other way around then I might be tempted...perhaps a re-watching of Cowboy Bebop is in order. :)

Cheers, DeepThought

Very wise of you to know the original form is always better. Very few fans of anime or manga knows that, they expect anime version to be as good and then complain about it.

Cowboy Bebop is one of the coolest anime ever. The music is legendary. Its also very special being the only really famous anime without an actual manga behind it. Heh a manga was even based on it, which is rare.

If Cowboy Bebop wont make you like anime, no other anime will ! Just be sure to watch in japanese audio and not the dub.

Yesterday I picked up Buffy Season 8 issues 5#-10#. They didn't have, but I put in an order for, the Serenity comics that were the prequel to the movie.

Yesterday I picked up Buffy Season 8 issues 5#-10#. They didn't have, but I put in an order for, the Serenity comics that were the prequel to the movie.

Heh i have read the Serenity comics too.

As fan of Firefly, i will get anything just to see Mal and co again :)

"Batman - Death and the Maidens"
still looking for a copy of Batman Black and White vol.3

I read Hellblazer: JOYRIDE trade

It was a classic HB story. Constantine was a wonderful ******* again :) Andy Diggle is a hero for making the series good again after Denise Mina who never should jumped over the comics medium.....

Planning a RuroKen reread soon (as soon as I've narrowed down my TBR pile), and possibly You're Under Arrest, as well.

Back