Looking for a short story

snooziums

Hiya.

I am looking for a science fiction story for a relative, however they do not know the title or the author, so I will provide a description below from what they remember.

In "Amazing Stories" or "Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction" magazines in between 1965 and 1985, there was a story about a wilderness guide that was hired to take a wealthy arrogant client to find dangerous winged creatures that lived in caves. Basically, it was like a safari, but looking for these extreme exotic creatures.

They passed a local native village, and one of the aboriginal tribe members looked closely at the guide and stated that he would probably survive during an attack by these creatures (although his client likely would not).

The guide and his client entered the cave where these creatures resided, and sure enough, they were both attacked, with the massive talons of these creatures grabbing into the flesh of both of the people. During the attack, the guide thought to himself "The Way runs deep," and surrendered to the attack, but the client resisted the attack, and was ripped to death.

Basically, these creatures would rip the skin off their prey. It turns out that the creatures had taste organs in their talons and that human flesh was poisonous to them, but because the client struggled, his struggling caused a reaction in the creature attacking him to rip harder. Since the guide did not struggle, after the talons "tasted" him, the creature let him go, and he survived.

At the end of the story, the guide joined the aboriginal tribe and lived a subsistence life.

Any ideas as to what the title and author of this story is?

I'm not too good with sci-fi authors, being more of a fantasy person myself, but if it was a publication of this short story, then you might try asking in the book search section. I'm sure that someone will be able to help you.:)