Read an E-book Week 2007

I have read dozens of books on my Palm III, which has a screen only slightly bigger than that on a smart phone. You'd think it would be slow, but I find that my brain can grab the entire page at once, so I can continue paging through. It doesn't take longer to read this way than to read a traditional paper book. In fact, since the page turning is easier, it can actually be faster.

It's not the tempo, but how much of a strain it is on the eyes. I've tried it on a PDA and that made my eyes beg for mercy. Using something even slightly smaller could only be worse.

However, I expect to be able to buy the GP2X I'm planning to buy, soon, and I'm told that reading e-books on it is pretty gentle on the eyes.

Much of what I need to enjoy a good book is the environment that I'm reading in. 90% of my reading is done in bed; the rest in the bath or outside (in my garden, by the lakeshore, on a boat, etc.). I'm not keen on reading from a small screen either. It would have to be at least the size of a paperback. One day there might be a device that will be cheap enough to risk the moisture, or comfortable enough for me to see and hold in the prone position, but otherwise I'll pass and stick with the paper variety.

It's not the tempo, but how much of a strain it is on the eyes. I've tried it on a PDA and that made my eyes beg for mercy. Using something even slightly smaller could only be worse.

However, I expect to be able to buy the GP2X I'm planning to buy, soon, and I'm told that reading e-books on it is pretty gentle on the eyes.

Nikitta, if your PDA (or your future PDA) is a Windows type, you probably have "Cleartype" already built into it. Go to Start, Settings, System, and tap the Screen icon. You will see a box labeled "enable Cleartype," and you should check it. The screen fonts will be re-rendered in such a way as to be much easier on the eyes.

Don't forget, PDAs can also let you resize the text to a more comfortable size. It's the wide range of presentation choices that make PDAs such wonderful e-book reading devices.

Much of what I need to enjoy a good book is the environment that I'm reading in. 90% of my reading is done in bed; the rest in the bath or outside (in my garden, by the lakeshore, on a boat, etc.). I'm not keen on reading from a small screen either. It would have to be at least the size of a paperback. One day there might be a device that will be cheap enough to risk the moisture, or comfortable enough for me to see and hold in the prone position, but otherwise I'll pass and stick with the paper variety.

I read in bed, on the sofa, on my patio, on a hotel patio, at the beach, in a waiting room, even hanging in my car when the wife is shopping. (Sorry, I shower.) I do all that with my PDA. It's lighter than the lightest paperback I have, held (and page-turned) with one hand, comfortable in any position, and they even have relatively waterproof covers for many of them. Personally, I just keep mine dry. ;)

I know a lot of people think the screens are too small for comfortable reading. They used to say that about paperbacks. If you've never actually tried one, you should give it a fair shot. As many people have said, once you're engaged in the content, the method of delivery really doesn't matter so much. (There's a reason black-and-white, and even silent, movies are still watched.)

Can you just buy an E-book reader? I do not use cell phones, PDAs, Ipods, blackberries, etc. I don't even have a laptop, just my good ol'desk model. :eek:

Nikitta, if your PDA (or your future PDA) is a Windows type, you probably have "Cleartype" already built into it. Go to Start, Settings, System, and tap the Screen icon. You will see a box labeled "enable Cleartype," and you should check it. The screen fonts will be re-rendered in such a way as to be much easier on the eyes.

Don't forget, PDAs can also let you resize the text to a more comfortable size. It's the wide range of presentation choices that make PDAs such wonderful e-book reading devices.

The PDA I had was admittedly an old model, so the news ones probably are better that way. However, since I'm looking at buying a new device in any case, I'll rather go with the GP2X, as I can also use it for gaming and music. I can even watch movies on it if I want to.

You can see it here: GP2X.co.uk official site - Buy the GP2X Linux console

However, that's rather a question of personal preferences.

Can you just buy an E-book reader? I do not use cell phones, PDAs, Ipods, blackberries, etc. I don't even have a laptop, just my good ol'desk model. :eek:

Yes, there are dedicated e-book readers out there. Sony just introduced a Sony - Reader that's becoming quite popular, mainly because it uses the new e-ink technology that looks more like ink on paper than any screen. If you are near a Sony store or a Borders bookstore, you might be able to see one in person and try it out for yourself.

There are other readers, but unfortunately, few places where you can physically go to see one. The iRex Iliad may be the next most popular reader out there. Check out the eBook Reader Devices Library to see other readers. Finally, go to MobileRead Networks - the resource for mobile geeks seeking information and advice for keeping their gadgets happy to find more information about e-book readers.

Last edited:
I think if I was going to start reading E-Books seriously I'd want a decicated device. I have a PDA/Phone, but the battery drain is heavy when you use it as a pda, and its not really suitable for reading an hours worth of text.

Thanks for the info. The Sony reader seems ok. I'll have to keep this in mind for the future.

On a related note, I would like to be the first to congratulate the creator of Read an E-book Week, Rita Toews, and partner Alex Domokos, for winning this year's Eppie award with their historical fiction novel The Centurion! Rita and Alex are inspirations to us all!

I read about as many ebooks as I read hard copy. For me, the only drawback is that I cannot kick back in a comfy chair with a PC.
I have found that for the really old literature (H. Rider Haggard for example) that ebooks are about the only easy way to get copies (Thank you Gutenberg project Browse By Author: Z - Project Gutenberg )
Baen books has even made it a marketing tool. If I find a "free library" ebook or author that I like I end up getting a hard copy, (and if the author/story is poor I can save a buck (or 8)).
I have to agree that the costs for purchased ebooks are much too high.

Enjoy!

10 bucks will get you an old Palm or something, too. Fits in your pocket, so available for any chair.

:)

On that front, one-handed, with autoscroll, a pda can actually be more comfortable. I can read a paperback one handed, but I imagine people with smaller hands might have some problems, with the bigger books.

But nothing will ever appeal to me on all those levels the way a book does... in order for it to do so, it would literally have to become a book (preferably one with a wonderful old musty smell and slightly browning pages;) ).

Soon to be followed by fading text, crumbling pages, loosening glue, broken spines, and a book that takes more effort to hold together than read. A lot of my paperbacks come under this description right now. If I could convert them all to digital files, I'd do it in a hot minute!

Then, maybe we can prevail upon Glade to create "That Musty Old Book Smell" fragrance to spray on your e-book reader... ;)

Then, maybe we can prevail upon Glade to create "That Musty Old Book Smell" fragrance to spray on your e-book reader... ;)

I'm seriously damaged by my job: the first thought through my mind upon reading that was "But - that will create a moisture damage and warranties never cover that".

I'm scared that my mind now works in that way :eek:

As far as e-books lasting longer goes, I'm wondering if they really do since technology develop so fast and how soon new technology becomes obsolete. We'll see. I don't really know enough about it to do more than wonder about it.

I'm seriously damaged by my job: the first thought through my mind upon reading that was "But - that will create a moisture damage and warranties never cover that".

I'm scared that my mind now works in that way :eek:
Just sit down, close your eyes, take a deep breath, and turn off Comedy Central for at least an hour. ;)
As far as e-books lasting longer goes, I'm wondering if they really do since technology develop so fast and how soon new technology becomes obsolete. We'll see. I don't really know enough about it to do more than wonder about it.
It's true, new tech becomes obsolete. However (and fortunately), as technology becomes obsolete, someone creates a way to make sure new tech can read old data... and the book itself is data. That's why Windows PCs (and quite a few e-book readers) can still read ASCII text.

Once books are made into data (and a few reliable backups are made), they can be converted to new text formats at any time. You may have to replace your e-reader a few years down the line, but it won't make your books unreadable.

By the way, with so many people attesting to the fact that they read in the bath, I'm positive that sooner or later an e-book maker will make the thing waterproof. Then you can spray away! :D