Perdido Street Station

Hello everyone. This is my first time here and I would really appreciate it if someone could answer these questions of mine. I recently read PSS and I was wondering if someone could explain to me what Yagharek did at the end of the book.
SPOILERS (please highlight to see)
What I understand happened is that he removed the feathers from his body so that he could look human. Is this correct?

My second question is, do the characters from PSS appear in the Scar? I bought the Scar today and I'm just curious. Anyway, thanks in advance for your answers!

In answer to your spoiler - yes, I think that was the intention. It was also because he wanted to change his identity a bit after what he'd done - he'd tried to achieve redemption and to return to what he had been, and when that failed, he needed to become something new, something that could fit into the society he would have to live in.

The Scar has mostly different characters - the main character in the Scar is Bellis Coldwine, who has a very minor role in PSS, but other than that, I can't really think of anyone else who is in both.

Also, I think it had to do with two other things: self-punishment, and a loss of status that yet was another way of attempting to regain status. At least, that's how I read it....

Good point - there was definitely an element of self-punishment to it. I think it's the condemnation coming from his friends which really makes him consider what he's done properly for the first time.

Thanks for the answers Brys and j.d.
That's an interesting explanation about why Yagharek did what he did.
It's a shame that the characters from PSS do not return in the Scar because I would have liked to know more about their story. I would also want to know more about the Construct Council and why it has so much power over its followers.

I have just finished reading 'The Scar' and I think it is a much better read than PSS. The Scar also gives you a lot more background into the history of Bas Lag than PSS did.
I felt with PSS that I had been dropped into this place which I didn't know it's history yet there was constant references to it as if I was supposed to know it, at least in The Scar there was some explaination of origins.

I'm reading the Scar right now and I'm enjoying it far more than I enjoyed PSS. However, people who read the Scar first, seem to have a hard time "getting" it.

In answer to your spoiler - yes, I think that was the intention. It was also because he wanted to change his identity a bit after what he'd done - he'd tried to achieve redemption and to return to what he had been, and when that failed, he needed to become something new, something that could fit into the society he would have to live in.

The Scar has mostly different characters - the main character in the Scar is Bellis Coldwine, who has a very minor role in PSS, but other than that, I can't really think of anyone else who is in both.

Brys you say that Bellis was in PSS? Now that I'm reading the Scar I can see how the two stories are connected, but I would appreciate it if you could me point me to the pages/chapters in PSS where she is mentioned. If that is possible of course :)

I finished this quite recently, read it in three days due to being at home without any distractions (bloody internet :p), and I was very pleasantly surprised (I'm not sure what I was expecting but it wasn't what I got). I thought his writing was excellent, at times he seemed to capture unusually complex moods through use of tone, and found his descriptions effective in creating some quite bizarre images in my head (I didn't have the same problems as J.D).

This is also one of the more imaginative works I've read, I agree with whoever said that at times it makes you think "what the hell inspired him to come up with that?!" I thought the garuda story was fascinating from start to finish, and very unusual. The initial evolution and escape of the moth was a big surprise for me, I wasn't expecting the story to take a turn like that. I was certainly caught up in it though, and the moths really struck a chord with me because I have somewhat of a phobia myself.

Criticism-wise... a few of the ideas seemed less imaginative and a bit gimmicky, I can't say I enjoyed reading about the constructs too much and it almost seemed a bit silly. Certain sections were a little bit slow going for me, especially in the latter half - the part where they're setting up for the last climax springs to mind. I can appreciate those people who say "strong writer, but not for me", 'cause it's definitely inaccessible in places.

Still, 'twas a grand read, and I'll be hunting down more of his stuff in the near future.

I've just bought Perdido Street Station, and now find there are conflicting opinions on whether I should read this or The Scar first.
What should I do, go ahead with PSS, or buy The Scar? Help!:confused:

Get both, of course. PSS was written before The Scar and contains a more thorough description of the world of New Crobuzon which is referred to at various times in The Scar, so if you want to got he chronological way, read PSS first. I also like it better.

PSS was released before the Scar, and is chronoloigcally earlier too, like ravenus said - theres mo point reading them in the wrong order, imho.

I've just finished this book and was blown away but the imagination and complexity of the society. Loved the relationships and would definately recommend it. It's got to be high on my favorite list.

*Spoiler*

If I did have any complaint it would be the long descriptions of building the crisis engine thingy at the end. It seemed to go on forever and whilst I am not very technical I found it all very improbably and a little tedious. The moths were amazing though.

I haven't read any other Mieville novels - although it was King Rat that first caught my eye, and I'm planning to read Un Lun Dun next - but I had something of an idea of what to expect from a couple of reviews and browsing these forums. It took me a while to get into the book, but after that I was hooked. I loved Mieville's combo of sci-fi, fantasy and horror, and some of his creations were fantastic. I have to say I feel that the plotline was secondary to New Crobuzon itself, which was fine be me, since it's such an amazing and immersive place. A lot of people have commented on Mieville's writing style: I honestly can't remember stopping to consider the writing once, which is good and bad - good because unobtrusive writing doesn't distract from the story, bad because I enjoy lyrical, experimental language.

It wasn't my favourite book of all time, but I did enjoy it, and will definitely be reading some of Mieville's others.

I've been reading this for about six months and I'm only 170 pages in! It's not that it's boring, or that I don't get the characters, mainly it's that nothing much happens. So, I keep reading other things inbetween. I'm off on holiday tomorrow and I'm taking it with me, so possibly I might even finish it! If I do, I'll come back and post.

I've been reading this for about six months and I'm only 170 pages in! It's not that it's boring, or that I don't get the characters, mainly it's that nothing much happens.
Me too - as you say, so little seems to happen that I get distracted, and books that I know are more exciting are waving at me and shouting "Read Meee! Read Meee"
Still, it's going on holiday with me shortly, too - perhaps I'll get caught up in it more with less distractions....;)

It took me about 3 months to finish for the same reason and I actually quite enjoyed it. It's like some rich food you can eat only a bit at a time. Yes please let us know what you think once you are done and have a good holiday, Dave.:)

Pyan you holiday too? Jeez I'm greener now!:D Well hopefully I'll be going somewhere in September...

I have read Iron Council, the Scar and Perdio St station.

The city reminds me of an eighteenth century Edinburgh. A sort of University town yet with deep conservative elements. I found the detail to be the most fascinating thing about these books, I think I've said before I'm a detail junkie, things everyone else finds boring I kinda love!:eek:

They take some reading but the Scar is better to get into as other posters have said it's a more polished book. Iron Council though was a slog which once things got going was un putdownable, but percivere it's a hard read!

I think the best description I've been able to come up with, in telling a friend about this, is that it's like walking through a landscape done jointly by Hieronymus Bosch and Salvador Dali while watching the latter part of 2001: A Space Odyssey after taking a massive dose of LSD.

I'm about 100 pages from the end of PSS and, I must say JD, this is the most fabulous and accurate description of the experience I have when reading the book. Every morning I stumble off the train into the bright light of the station, but my mind is still about 3 paces behind me desparately trying to piece together what I've just read.

I'd say I'm enjoying PSS, but not loving it. It's great fantasy, but far from a page turner. Maybe when I get to the end I'll have a different perspective on it.