Ender's Game

I don't know whether I should shout for joy or wail in sorrow. Can Hollywood possibly do justice to Ender's Game? I mean, look what they did to Dune, and so many others.

A great movie, would be one of the few I would have to have the DVD for, a poor one would be a tragedy!!

Gavin Hood is one of South Africa's export just like Charlize Theron. I am sure it would be a good movie, Rendition and Wolverine were both directed by him and both were good.

I dread to think what they do with Ender's game. I cannot see how they are going to get the whole concept across. It could probably end up being another starship troopers.

Even if they manage it, how would they deal with Speaker for the dead

I think the movie will turn out better than I anticipate (because I anticipate it not being very good). Primarily the reason is because there will be a lot of kid actors in it, and the more kid actors the harder the film is to make. There are some talented ones out there, and I can only hope that they managed to get them all together on this project.

Although i really enjoyed Enders Game, i really had difficulty getting into the others in the initial series. (I did enjoy the Shadow series though.)

I must reread this before the film comes out though.

I'm very interested to see how the movie comes out. I'm one of the minority who was not very impressed with the book.

I just finished the book. As long as they don't stray too far or Harry Potter-fy the film, then I think an adequately funded film should be able to do it justice.

I read Ender's Game about a month ago. I found it a solid, four star work and liked the ending, but I didn't feel the magic that many seem to. I'm definitely glad to have read it, though, since it is so popular in certain SF circles. :)

I read Ender's Game about a month ago. I found it a solid, four star work and liked the ending, but I didn't feel the magic that many seem to. I'm definitely glad to have read it, though, since it is so popular in certain SF circles. :)

I thought it was just alright. @@@ out of @@@@@ for me. Still, looking forward to the film!

Harrison Ford is a good pick. Ben Kingsly is a good actor and may be a good pick for Mazer. I heard this movie is combining elements of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow so I recently read the later. I read Ender's Game years ago. I thought Shadow was just as good, if not better.

The "sequels" I felt weren't really sequels because they took place like 20 years after the events of Ender's Game. Speaker for the Dead was completely different and didn't have that soul that EG had therefor it was more disappointing. I stopped reading OSC's books because he seems very in love with himself and he tries to push his philosophical beliefs onto you.

Ender's Game was first written as a novella (Hugo award winner if I'm not mistaken). It was later made into a book when OSC wanted to write "Speaker for the Dead" in Ender's world. It was only after the incredible success of the novel that the sequels and prequels and all other such were put into the hopper.

*I am positive that it has never been out of print!

... I stopped reading OSC's books because he seems very in love with himself and he tries to push his philosophical beliefs onto you.

Agree, Biodroid, he seems to be very glad for himself, and that's a little funny as his books aren't very well composed.
There being good sequences, bur also sequences very he suddenly's condensing a lot - typically in the end, and there being direct holes too.
That an authour as Scott Card actually has written a book about how to write SF - that's almost blasphemic ;)
But as you said he's very much in love with himself - and likes to invent worlds with a lot of rules, for the inhabitants to live limited lives.

Agree, Biodroid, he seems to be very glad for himself, and that's a little funny as his books aren't very well composed.
There being good sequences, bur also sequences very he suddenly's condensing a lot - typically in the end, and there being direct holes too.
That an authour as Scott Card actually has written a book about how to write SF - that's almost blasphemic ;)
But as you said he's very much in love with himself - and likes to invent worlds with a lot of rules, for the inhabitants to live limited lives.

How we all differ. :) I like Card's work, a lot. Particularly his short work, but also Ender's Game, (and I quite like Speaker), and Songmaster. I like his crisp prose and the way he shows a lot more than he tells. He can lack a bit of emotional depth, I grant you, but, honestly, he's probably my favourite sci fi author, from a purely writing perspective.

In terms of his viewpoints, I don't support them. But I still like his writing.

And the Alvin Maker series was wonderfully fantastic... I must be missing something in his writing, because I read it for enjoyment, and don't see any proselytizing. (Goodkind, now that's a different story altogether...)

I'm looking forward to the film - considering how long ago the book came out, it's taken forever to reach the screen. Which must be a good thing - Look at Eragon the movie...:mad::eek: (shudders...)