Ender's Game

I read this series with many gaps. Read Ender's Game , speaker for the dead and xenocide. Any recommendations for the next one?

I read this series with many gaps. Read Ender's Game , speaker for the dead and xenocide. Any recommendations for the next one?

Next one should be "Children of the Mind" - and the quartet is finished.
Then ther're spin-offs, but that's another story ;)

I just finished "Ender's Game" because I wanted to read the book before seeing the movie. I had a very strong emotional reaction to it, but I haven't read any reviews or posts from others with any similar reactions. Several times I had to put the book down and take a break for a while because I became too angry or got too caught up in it.

Its one thing to say a book is boring, or you don't relate to the characters, or don't like the writing style, or whatever. But its rare for me to find myself getting really emotional over a book I actually don't like.

Ender's Game is full of child abuse, abuses of authority, and power hungry, selfish people doing things for their own gain. Ender was a tool, nothing more, and his character redeemed himself through his psychic connection to the bigger queen's egg and his attempt to make things right. But the adult characters all got away with the atrocities they committed - both to the young soldiers and the bugger - with the whole philosophy of "the end justifies the means". They never saw any negative repercussions for what they did.

Ender's Game did make me think, and it made me realize how passionate I am about certain ideals. But I disagree with enough of it that it won't hold much re-read value to me. I found that it pushed buttons in me, and I dont like getting that stressed over works of fiction.

I just finished "Ender's Game" because I wanted to read the book before seeing the movie. I had a very strong emotional reaction to it, but I haven't read any reviews or posts from others with any similar reactions. Several times I had to put the book down and take a break for a while because I became too angry or got too caught up in it.

Its one thing to say a book is boring, or you don't relate to the characters, or don't like the writing style, or whatever. But its rare for me to find myself getting really emotional over a book I actually don't like.

Ender's Game is full of child abuse, abuses of authority, and power hungry, selfish people doing things for their own gain. Ender was a tool, nothing more, and his character redeemed himself through his psychic connection to the bigger queen's egg and his attempt to make things right. But the adult characters all got away with the atrocities they committed - both to the young soldiers and the bugger - with the whole philosophy of "the end justifies the means". They never saw any negative repercussions for what they did.

Ender's Game did make me think, and it made me realize how passionate I am about certain ideals. But I disagree with enough of it that it won't hold much re-read value to me. I found that it pushed buttons in me, and I dont like getting that stressed over works of fiction.

This book views the "win at all costs" mentality. And some very questionable ethical behavior was considered "necessary" to make victory possible. If you are not familiar with Orson Scott Card, I think you might profitably read "Speaker for the Dead" and "Xenocide" to see his social thinking more clearly. --- At least in his writing --- There are some who feel his public stand on homosexuality makes him a pariah. But as far as I have read/remember his books not a breath of this is seen in his writings.