1.03: Hair of the Dog

The episodes are getting stronger.

For me, that's saying something, because I don't normally like werewolf episodes of TV shows. Generally, that's because the werewolves look atrocious. Can't say these were great, but they were better than BtVS and Harry Potter. I know - low budget, but really.

Anyway - aside from the 'almost too shippy' scene with Murphy wanting to buy Harry a beer, this episode was pretty darn good.

It played a lot like elements of "Fool Moon" (book 2 of the Dresden Files), but it worked nicely.

Bob's connected to the skull - by a rather short leash. That scene in the park was amusing. *g* Bob's got some neat tricks.

Mostly - I'm psyched we get to see Morgan next week! :)

Yes, I enjoyed this one too. We got to see Harry do some magic and also fail at some magic (though I'm still a bit annoyed that he relies on Bob so much) as well as the neato 'trick the evil thing into killing it's own partner' gig.

I wish they had made the werewolves a bit more like they are in the book, able to control their 'problem' and use it to their own ends - the ones with good hearts, that is. It would be nice to have a recurring werewolf role. Though I guess it is possible Heather will be back in some shape or form.

I was quite startled by the werewolf when Bob 'showed' it. That's a good thing.

What's up with Murph asking him out for a beer?? That was way too cheesy.

I wish they had made the werewolves a bit more like they are in the book . . .

This bothered me too; I kept expecting him to say, let me introduce you to my buddies in the local pack--they'll help you. but I suppose I'll just have to quit comparing the show to the book.

also, I let out a loud SQUEE! when Harry snorted some substances to increase his scent-tracking capability. He referred to it as "Dialing my nose up to 11"

A The Sentinel reference if I ever heard one!

also, I let out a loud SQUEE! when Harry snorted some substances to increase his scent-tracking capability. He referred to it as "Dialing my nose up to 11"
My immediate reaction was: Harry doesn't do drugs!!! I sheepishly admitted to myself later that mine was a pretty silly reaction and I should have known better.

Coupla questions Cloud: what is squee? I've seen it several places and can pretty much get the meaning but what is it from? What is the sentinel?

'squee' is that sound you make when you're really happy / excited about something

and The Sentinel was a TV show - section on Chronicles for it here - SciFi has run it in the past. Starred Richard Burgi as Jim Ellison - 'The Sentinel' -

Back to Harry -

Yes - 'dialing my nose up to 11' was a fun line, and when he was getting her scent - I wasn't sure if he was just smelling her or if he was getting off on her - it was weird and kinda hot.

And I agree about the 'cheese' bit with Murphy - I just didn't get that. Not only that, but I *really* don't want them to put Murphy and Harry together... I hate that stuff. Don't 'ship ppl who shouldn't be shipped... grrrr.

"squee" is a gleeful squeal.

and yes, The Sentinel was a TV show about a cop with super senses. A tribal guardian or watchman. He had a sidekick, a guide, who helped him cope, and one of the coping mechanisms was to picture a dial for each sense that the Sentinel can adjust.

So, it makes me wonder--just when has Harry run across a sentinel or his guide?

Part of the allure of monsters is their sex appeal--you don't know whether there's going to be f**ing or fighting.

AND . . . it bugged me they kept referring to the werewolves as "licens" and "thropes."

I'm not sure why you are objecting to the byplay between Murphy and Harry. There's a certain amount of that in the books, after all.

actually - they referred to the werewolves as 'lycanthropes' - which is from the books

My only objection to the Harry and Murphy stuff is if they OVERplay it. I'm an 'anti-shipper' for fandoms in general, b/c too often the writers don't work relationships into the shows very well. So, my objection is more a 'fear of what they'll screw up later' if they push the 'ship angle too hard at the beginning.

Also, the scene was just awkward and seemed forced, like they shoved it in to make the show longer. It could have been saved by a few more lines of dialogue, but the way it played was like Murphy was going to ask Harry out on a date, but hedged and went for the beer thing - which just didn't come across very well in the scene. Not for me anyway. And maybe that's how they wanted it to play, but I'm afraid the writers are going to cater too far to the extremist group that wants Harry and Murphy to be a couple and kill the show with schmoop. I like Harry and Murphy as friends.

I thought this was the best of the three epsiodes I've seen. I won't be seeing anymore as I can no longer get Sky One. :(

It reminded me of the X-Files because it contained so many similar elements.

I agree about the Harry-Murphy drink, and here we had yet another young attractive female throwing herself at Harry. That potion he was buying ingredients for at the start sure works well!

The thing that bothered me about this episode was that we had an entire book about werewolves. Fool Moon anyone?

And yet the first exposure to werewolves in the series throws that all out the window in favor of B-Movie standard werewolf schtick.

I'm just sort of ticked in general that the TV series isn't following the book, and that they STILL haven't shown the pilot movie, which is a direct adaptation of Storm Front.

There are reasons for that.

Robert Wolfe - one of the exec producers - posts regularly on Jim's message board and has talked about a LOT of this stuff. He'll even answer direct questions. :)

The reason they haven't shown "Storm Front" yet (which is NOT a direct adaptation of the book) - is b/c they had to reshoot it after they made changes in casting and stories, etc. It's currently slotted to be episode 8.

Even the original pilot - (the 67 minute version, not the 2 hr one) - isn't a direct adaptation of "SF" (yep, I have sources, I've seen the 67 min version - I don't think anyone's seen the 2hr one) - there were a LOT of changes made just for the original pilot ep. And the opening titles were way cheesier.

This episode wasn't meant to be a retelling of "Fool Moon"; the series itself is NOT supposed to be a retelling of the books. It's 'based on' the books, it's not a replica, but it keeps the flavor.

The best way I can describe how it's working is to use "The Prestige".

If you've read the book, you know that it is VASTLY different from the movie that was released in October 2006. However, the movie kept the 'flavor' and 'themes' of the book when it went to the big screen. There's no way the movie could've recreated the book in a visual format - the thing's long enough as it is. There are changes that have to be made when moving from one medium to the other.

The same happened w/ Dresden. They've taken the mythology of the books and reshaped it for the TV series - mostly so it works w/in their budget constraints and w/in the limitations of visual media.

As long as the flavor and themes keep going, I'm all good w/ what they've done. Except that stupid drumstick. ;)