If there was a Farseer Film...?

Serin

Chasing a dream...
I have often thought that if there was a film, who could be cast as the main characters in the Farseer/Tawny Man series? I think that the books would translate quite well to the big screen, but finding a cast would be a challenge.

Who would you pick to play the likes of Fitz, The Fool and such?

I don't think a Farseer film would be as fulfilling as the novels. Most of the appeal in the books was the character development, and without Fitz's doubts and inner dialogues I think a film would fall short. Besides how would they portray the Wit and Skill without cheesy effects?

It's true that some parts would be difficult to bring to the big screen, without making them too flashy and overdone, but with the right director, it could be done. The Wit could be implied rather than shown, with descriptions rather than graphics.
As for Fitz's dialogues and doubts, there's no reason why there shouldn't be a narration of some kind. Very few films are as good as the books they're based on, but if handled correctly it could be good.
I agree about the fool, though. I'm not sure there's an actor capable of playing that role.:)

Well, I will be thrilled if they may a movie based on the book, but I don't think it would be as good as the book itself. As for the cast...well...I reckon the guy that plays Rocky Balboa can play the older Fitz, though he is a little bit too old now.

Seriously though, I rather not have them wreck the book by making the film.

Though...the Interview with the Vampire was one of the best films I've ever watched!

How about Tilda Swinton for the Fool? Did you guys see Orlando? She played a character that somehow changed genders halfway through in that movie too. I think she'd be good for the Fool.

No reason the actor would have to be male. :)

Now as for Fitz...someone dark and dangerous looking...not sure about that one. Although he's not dark or dangerous, Harrison Ford in his younger years would have been good. Think of his performance in the Fugitive. His face showed tons of emotion and inner turmoil. But he's too old and crusty now. ;)

I'd be devestated if they made this into a film but if they did I always imagine the Fitz as a sort of Ray Winston or maybe the way Bruce Willis was in 12 monkeys - sort of tragic and hard done by, but roughtytufty at the same time.

The fool would be harder I think - Maybe a girl would be better.

And as for Molly, I can't think of anyone annoying enough - possibly Jade Goody:)

How about Tilda Swinton for the Fool? Did you guys see Orlando? She played a character that somehow changed genders halfway through in that movie too. I think she'd be good for the Fool.

No reason the actor would have to be male. :)

;)

It would have to be a very feminine guy to play the fool for me even to consider it. Like you when I thought about casting the fool I started scrolling through women who might pull off a male character. Since the fool is a woman it only makes sense.

Well at least no-one is suggesting Orlando Bloom or Hugo Weaving for the fool. Small mercies indeed.

I'll literally go crazy if Orlando Bloom was the Fool, don't think he suits at all.

I never really liked Molly but I don't think this trilogy would work as a film, maybe a series?

I like the idea of a series. (Lots of fantasy books would seem to make better series than films, anyway.) That could work.:)

Thanks Talysia, though I doubt they would make a movie though.

Perhaps....that could work, though the person who plays Fitz better be good or else.....*takes out my pen and paper*

That's the good thing about a series, though, Kitera. The actors don't have to be famous, as long as they fit the role - and that is the most important thing, after all!:)

Still one of the most contentious aspects of Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy - the Fool's gender! Welcome to Chronicles, Greylin!:)

He's a male, You can tell, but it's very hard. There's lots of little things that point to both.

So do you cast a masculine looking woman or an effeminate looking man? This seems to have been one of the biggest questions we've had so far! There's been a poll started about it, too, and opinion seems to be divided.:)