do I need Liveship Traders?

spartan_pwns

Dual-wielding is better.
So i just wrapped up the end of the Farseer trilogy, and must say, i absolutely loved it. I love the story with Fitz so much that i realy want to skip straight to the Twany Man set, but I'm wondering if this would be a vast mistake.

So is the Liveship Traders vital for my understanding of the third trilogy, or is it something i can read at a later time, without missing crucial informaton?

thanks

You won't miss anything really crucial if you don't read it but Tawny Man does allude to it at times and you'll miss the subtle jokes :D Like...the name of Fool's horse which made me giggle.

Also, I recommend Liveship Traders because it's pretty good. It's my favorite of the trilogy in most ways. Also, certain things about it will be spoiled if you read the Tawny Man trilogy first. But yeah, don't worry too much about it. I read the first book of Tawny Man first then went back into Liveship Traders

i found the horse name thing bizzare! even after reading liveships im thinking, why did he name his horse after that girl? it seemed so totally abstract. malta was a pain, i find it offensive to the horse!

Malta (the girl) also did whatever she got it in her head to do. I believe the horse was also rather stubborn hence the name :)

Allright, sweet. Well I'll definitely read it, just maybe out of line. ;)

I agree with what others have posted in here - its not necessary to read, but is a brilliant series & definately one worth reading at some stage (its my fave of the 3 trilogies as well)...

Well I was like you before and I did jump straight to the Tawny Man series because I was so in love with the characters. I won’t say I made a mistake, but given the chance, I would like to have read them in order, since they link. The Liveship Traders books are just as enjoyable and the characters are sophisticated and real. I’m sure you will enjoy it just as much and it is still one of my all time favourites.

I started off by reading the Liveship Traders. It doesn't matter if you miss them, but like a lot of people have said, it is a good series.

As opposed to most i never really liked the liveship traders book as much as i did the farseer and subsequently tawny man trilogy. It where good reads, and better then most books out there though.

As for her latest series, whell, i am letting it all depend on the third book, the series to me are still lots better then lets say Eddings, but they are up till now not of the same standard as the 9 books of her before.

can someone put a sticky and consolidate this thread? it's seems to pop up as a new thread every few months.

ya sorry Scott, i def should have searched the other threads better. only after i posted this one did i see the others :eek:

no worries. I'm glad people can come here for answers (or debate) just requesting a sticky from the mods so folks can see the thread when they click on the link. I had the question myself on another forum. I read a few chapters of Tawny then had to stop and read liveships (my favortie of all her stuff) before I could go on.

im around half way through the first liveship book and loving it. very original ideas and not read a book like it before.

I found the liveship trilogy to be a great add on to the farseer trilogy. I wish Ms. Hobb/Lindholm would start another line of books following the stories of the Dutchies and beyond.

I have definately messed the whole thing up. I read Farseer tilogy first then i read Assassin trilogy. I didn't know Liveship even existed so thats my excuse

theres another one, about the fool. golden fool, fools fate and another which i cant remember. i never finished the liveship, it got a bit long and i eventually ended up shelving it...maybe ill finish it someday

fools errand, and for some reason im thinking The Tawny man trilogy...?

Last edited:
Tawny Man before Farseers is definitely wrong but it's OK with Liveship which can be read alone. Well you can always re read in the right order later.