Jon Snow's true parentage...

I just need a new book to read so I don't continue to harrass you guys with same old junk. And I don't mean any book, I mean ADWD. I just reread Dan Simmon's Ilium and Olympus... in my experience they are the most ambitious political intrigue, historical, mythological, fantastic, philosophical sci-fi I've ever come across.

Have you tried Stephen Donaldson's The Gap series? Pretty awesome stuff and called ASoIaF in space by more than one person.

Wert has any progresss been made concerning a compilation thread of Who exactly is Jon Snow?

On the Westeros board there is a sticked thread dedicated to this. Two, actually, each one about 20 pages long. No definitive answer has been found (obviously, as GRRM hasn't given it to us yet).

Apparently I am a powerful wizard. With a simple summoning spell, Wert came to answer my question.

Wert, thanks for the referral to Donaldson. I read his Thomas Covenant stuff long ago. Though I don't remember his work fondly, perhaps I've grown as a reader in the intervening twenty-five years... I'll check The Gap out.

Also thanks for the referral to the Westeros boards. I registered there over two years ago, yet I've posted only a few times. I guess I'm getting old, but black type against the white, off-white and beige backgrounds of Chronicles adds to my viewing pleasure more than blue type on white.

Hello Nefala... Welcome! I'd never thought of the Sword of the Morning and the Blue Rose together. What connections did you make in the books to come up with this idea?

Supposing Arthur and Lyanna are Jon's parents...

1. Then if Ned took Jon thus denying Ashara contact with Jon... would this lend more credence to Ashara's suicide? Or would this lend more credence to the theory of Ashara faking her death to go into the shadows to prepare for some distant future?

2. No one seems to know what happened to Dawn, the Dayne family Valyrian Steel sword. What if Ned took it with Jon? What if Ned kept it hidden and gave it to Benjen or to the Old Bear to give to Jon when he was ready? We never really saw Jeor's blade before he had it reforged... he could have had Donal Noye redo the pommel from anything... a bear head or a star. Thus the Old Bear gave Jon's father's sword to Jon. Donal would have known where this sword came from and this helps explain Donal's deferrence to Jon.

3. If the title of ASOIAF revolves around Jon, then a Dayne would do as well as a Targaryen. Dragonfire or Starfire.

As usual I've put the cart before the horse. The whole problem is how to explain AD+L=J, I can't do it...

Yet.

Hello Nefala... Welcome! I'd never thought of the Sword of the Morning and the Blue Rose together. What connections did you make in the books to come up with this idea?

Supposing Arthur and Lyanna are Jon's parents...

1. Then if Ned took Jon thus denying Ashara contact with Jon... would this lend more credence to Ashara's suicide? Or would this lend more credence to the theory of Ashara faking her death to go into the shadows to prepare for some distant future?

2. No one seems to know what happened to Dawn, the Dayne family Valyrian Steel sword. What if Ned took it with Jon? What if Ned kept it hidden and gave it to Benjen or to the Old Bear to give to Jon when he was ready? We never really saw Jeor's blade before he had it reforged... he could have had Donal Noye redo the pommel from anything... a bear head or a star. Thus the Old Bear gave Jon's father's sword to Jon. Donal would have known where this sword came from and this helps explain Donal's deferrence to Jon.

3. If the title of ASOIAF revolves around Jon, then a Dayne would do as well as a Targaryen. Dragonfire or Starfire.

As usual I've put the cart before the horse. The whole problem is how to explain AD+L=J, I can't do it...

Yet.

1) How could it give more credence when that would make her no more then an aunt.

2)Dawn is not valyrian steel. That is one of the reasons why there is speculation of Dawn being the sword of the first Azai. Though i dont take it as true. Dawn is said to be milky white, valyrian steel is black (if i remember correctly). How would Donal Noye where it came from, the Daynes owe their allegiance to Dorne, the archnemesis of the stormlords whom Donal served.

3) I think the title encompasses the the whole story, every inch of it, with many important characters. Not just one like Rheagar interpreted.

4) Go to the asoiaf boards. There is plenty of speculation there, with various explanations.

Kiwi, I'd forgot that Dawn is not Valyrian. Thanks. And thanks for the referral to the Westeros boards.

As for Ashara, if she knew Jon was her nephew, then would her suicide make even more sense... after losing her brother, his son, and knowing her love was gone back to his wife? Or would knowing she had a nephew that she loved and wanted to protect yet was prohibited from really seeing, would this give more weight to the theory that she faked her death to go off and become a powerful watcher... watiting for the day to show up and protect Jon?... someone like Quaithe.

Ashara loves Ned, Ned kills her brother and returns to his wife – now tell me that is not a good reason for suicide.

I don't know that it's a good (morally speaking) reason for suicide, but it's a strong reason for despair. So you're saying that the kidnapping of her nephew did not alter her mind... that's fair.

Lyanna gave birth to a child whose father is a Kingsguard Knight - he is not allowed to hold lands, have children, marry. Arthur Dayne broke a Kingsguard "code", so he is a traitor. I think that is the reason Lyanna asked Ned to promise her something - that he would not say who is the father of her child. So I belive Ashara did not know nothing about the child (Jon), or Ned told her that Jon is dead.

Okay, Nef, that could be Lyanna's demand of Eddard, but please connect Lyanna and Arthur. I'd love to have a new real theory, a plausible explanation for a different version of Jon's existence.

Dayne probably had a whole lot of pull in the Kingsguard. It would explain why he, Hightower, and the other one who's name escapes me were at the Tower of Joy.

Arthur Dayne, Oswell Whent and Gerold Hightower were at the Tower of Joy. Why??? Their king, and prince are dead, Viserys and Dany are seiling for Braavos. So then why are they there? Dayne, Whent and Hightower had been absent from the battles on the Trident, Kings Landing and Storms End - again why? O.K. maybe that was Rhaegars command, but I think there is more to the story of Arthur Dayne that it seems.

Look, it's patently obvious that Jon Snow is in fact the third Skywalker sibling, who was separated at birth from his brother and sister to keep him from his father, Darth Vader.

The reason we've yet to see Howland Reed is, of course, because he is in fact Jedi Master Yoba, younger brother of Yoda, who fled with the baby through a rift (helpfully opened by his pen-pal Pug) to the haven of Westeros (obviously, the tourist brochures neglected to mention that trifling Others business). Howland/Yoba has yet to show his face because he's spent the last 5 years searching for his ship, which unfortunately sunk into the swamps on landing, and, even more unfortunately, he can't remember where exactly he parked it.

But what about mera and jojen, you cry? How can they be Yoba's children - They can't be! No, they are in fact early draft versions of the characters who would one day become Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, who, under threat of some serious editing, fled Rowling's PC in the dead of night and at last came to rest in greywater watch, where they were adopted by Yoba and subsequently changed their names to protect themselves from legal action from Rowling's crack team of lawyers who were by now combing the cosmos in search of copyright infringements.

So what next for Jon? He wasn't needed to defeat the Empire, and as Lucas has, as yet, no plans to milk the franchise with yet another trilogy, surely poor Jon is surplus to requirements? Not so! For Jon has a destiny! It was written, in the dawn of time, that there would come a man, one day, who would revolutionise domestic furnishing, providing consumers with a hitherto unknown range of choice and style, and all at low, low prices!

Yes! Jon snow is destined to open Westeros' first Ikea store!

Many Bothans died, to write this post.

P.S For those in doubt of the veracity of this theory, the texts provide conclusive proof once translated into Swahili, mixed up in a blender, glued back together and read upside down at the full moon whilst standing on ones head and watching Jerry Springer. Really!

BBWAAHAHAHAHAHA...

Bothans...that was funny.

Seriously, if Jon saves the Kingdom from Stannis by killing him then he has served a great purpose. Actually, I think Melissandre will kill Stannis as she will see Jon as Azhor Ahai reborn.

Look, it's patently obvious that Jon Snow is in fact the third Skywalker sibling, who was separated at birth from his brother and sister to keep him from his father, Darth Vader.

The reason we've yet to see Howland Reed is, of course, because he is in fact Jedi Master Yoba, younger brother of Yoda, who fled with the baby through a rift (helpfully opened by his pen-pal Pug) to the haven of Westeros (obviously, the tourist brochures neglected to mention that trifling Others business). Howland/Yoba has yet to show his face because he's spent the last 5 years searching for his ship, which unfortunately sunk into the swamps on landing, and, even more unfortunately, he can't remember where exactly he parked it.

But what about mera and jojen, you cry? How can they be Yoba's children - They can't be! No, they are in fact early draft versions of the characters who would one day become Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, who, under threat of some serious editing, fled Rowling's PC in the dead of night and at last came to rest in greywater watch, where they were adopted by Yoba and subsequently changed their names to protect themselves from legal action from Rowling's crack team of lawyers who were by now combing the cosmos in search of copyright infringements.

So what next for Jon? He wasn't needed to defeat the Empire, and as Lucas has, as yet, no plans to milk the franchise with yet another trilogy, surely poor Jon is surplus to requirements? Not so! For Jon has a destiny! It was written, in the dawn of time, that there would come a man, one day, who would revolutionise domestic furnishing, providing consumers with a hitherto unknown range of choice and style, and all at low, low prices!

Yes! Jon snow is destined to open Westeros' first Ikea store!

Many Bothans died, to write this post.

P.S For those in doubt of the veracity of this theory, the texts provide conclusive proof once translated into Swahili, mixed up in a blender, glued back together and read upside down at the full moon whilst standing on ones head and watching Jerry Springer. Really!

This is genius. How did I miss this in 2007? We really need to force Edd to post more often...