Moral issues on signed copies

Sorry, that's the one I meant! Dammit, spoiled the joke...must check sources, no good relying on memory any more, ...too many dead brain cells....

Bit chilling (hah) to see that Ebay have it listed under Non-fiction Books!

To attempt to drag the topic back towards... somewhere;)

I own a signed slipcase hardcover of David Gemmell's "Troy". I got given this as a present, but not being the world's biggest Gemmell fan, I have no particular desire to read it. Now, I imagine it's worth a little bit (I dunno, £30/40?) because it's a signed edition. Considering the recent demise of the author, it might even fetch a bit more. I think that selling it on eBay or something, with the knowledge of his recent death, would make me feel rather bad. Should it?

If it is a book you have no desire to read, why should you feel bad selling it to someone who will value it more? While it sad that he recently died, I think a Gemmell fan would be thrilled to own a signed copy of his work, especially now that there are a finite number of them.

It may upset the gift giver though. I tend to keep gifts for incredibily long periods of time whether I like them or not because of the emotional attachment to the giver.

As far as reading signed books - of course, read them. I would just be more gentle witht hem. They are a treasure after all.

Yes, you do!
I collect 1st editions and signed editions. If the book is truely good and stands on it's own merits absolute pristine condition won't matter. If you have a slightly better than reading copy hardcover first of Ender's Game you can still sell it for several hundred dollars. Their are large numbers of signed 1st editions out there that are not worth the cover price.
If you read this title and it completely blows your mind then head back down and buy a pristine copy. It helps the author and then you can have one to reread as well as one to set aside.
I enjoyed the first Robert Jordan so much I ran out and bought three hardcover firsts. I was able to trade two of the copies for a Snow Crash 1st edition and a Neuromancer 1st edition.
Collect what you enjoy, Enjoy what you collect!

Dang. I am jealous of your cyberpunk firsts.

I can see why people would want to collect books in pristine condition to sell them on later, but personally speaking I think if you buy a book you should read it. That's what it was printed for in the first place, and I'm pretty sure that was what the author intended its purpose to be. That's my opinion, at least.:)

Well, whats the point of having a book you can't read? I mean all a signature is is just a bunch of scribbling on a piece of paper. I mean, if you are buying the book to stare at the pretty scribbling, or to resell later, then you might want to consider not reading it, but honestly, its not like it's morally wrong to read a book just because someone signed it.

Lots of people collect toys and don't take them out of the packet / box. I know there's money to be made doing this and I can always see the point of making money but it somehow feels like sacrilege. Not sure I could do that. Toys are to be played with, cloths are to be worn, cars are to be driven and books are most definatly to be read.

I don't own any signed copies, but I know well that if I did that wouldn't stop me from reading them. As someone said earlier, a worn book shows that it was enjoyed. That's not me saying people shouldn't keep signed copies away if they want to, I just don't see the attraction of it myself.

I have a few signed books.

I also have a few first editions (early 20th century) - still read them rather than collect.

One signed book is a paperback copy of Mort which has been read many time and is now dog eared.

The sig doesn't matter as much - books are made to be read - thats why there are words in them....;)

DO what YOU want

If I had a choice between having a signed book I couldn't read or an unsigned one I could read till it fell apart there is no question which I would choose. There isn't a book in this house that hasn't been read more than once.

It's not always about re-selling -- it's about keeping safe something that has a lot of personal value. After all, I'm a collector, not a re-seller -- books check in, they don't check out.

I happen to think that an old book, as well as the story it contains, is cool. It's like a bowl -- a bowl exists to hold soup. But when that bowl is 1,000 years old, suddenly it develops a life of its own brought on by all sorts of aesthetic and cultural factors. And while it's fine to use a new bowl until it cracks, it seems a shame to destroy a bowl that's survived 1,000 years.

I have a first edition paperback of Fahrenheit 451 that I recently had signed by Ray Bradbury. It's more than 50 years old. It's delicate. I value it for the story. I value it for the amazing Joe Mugnaini cover art. I value it for its tangible connection to the past -- 50 years ago, a science fiction fan just like me was reading this very book! How cool is that?

It's also a finite commodity -- there are only so many copies of this edition left in the world, and destroying one would irreversibly drop the count. So for all those reasons, I keep my copy safe in a plastic bag. But because it's also one of my favorite science fiction books, I own a reading copy, too.

If it were the ONLY copy I could read, then yes -- I'd read it. But since I can get other copies, I don't see what's so bad about keeping this one safe.

But that's just me. Maybe it is a better idea to read it until the pages fall out... Though there's no small irony in destroying a book that rails against the destruction of books... ;)

No, I don't think there's anything wrong with collecting for the sake of collecting and preservation, and I'm glad there are some who do so. I'm also glad that there are those who can both collect and read old books without doing them any noticeable damage, so that they can still be passed on to further generations... I've come to have a fair number of books in the last few years that date to from between 1780 to the 1930s-1940s, all of which are now rather rare; these are also fairly delicate books, and are certainly showing the aging process (browning paper, etc.) ... yet though I read them, they're likely to be passed on in the same shape in which I got them. But had some people not simply put them aside to preserve them, chances are I wouldn't have them today; so there's certainly room for both. I think the problem comes in (as here) when someone else tells you what to do with your copy, rather than deciding what to do with their own....

Alright if you buy a rare old copy and then choose to keep it safe by reading it less then yes ... please go ahead. It's a personal choice you made and I'm glad the book has found a good home. I have some books like that too hence the multiple copies.

Though I do take the more valuable one ones and stroke them and look at them and turn the pages and ... you get the picture. :eek:

It's when other people come along and make decisions on what I can do with my books that it gets aggravating, especially if the person in question does not read and does not in any way appreciate the book beyond its monetary value.

It's when other people come along and make decisions on what I can do with my books that it gets aggravating, especially if the person in question does not read and does not in any way appreciate the book beyond its monetary value.

Well, I think there's only one sensible response to that sort of thing...

"BURN THE HERETIC!"

:p

But why shouldn't other people be able to collect books the same way they collect anything else and treat them as untouchable artifacts if that's what they want to do?

It's a lot better than people who turn books into lamps and tables, which I've seen designers do on television. That does raise my hackles a bit. Especially because they use old books to do this, and some rare gem may be rendered unreadable (or uncollectable) because of it.

I've seen some of those designers on TV... it's like they have no understanding whatsoever of what you're supposed to do with a book. There was one who, with a straight face, recommended to a homeowner that she make a small display of books on her coffee table or shelf -- not choosing them for their titles or even the subject matter. The designer thought they would be good to include because their covers were a particular shade of blue! :eek:

I've been collecting science fiction and fantasy books for over 30 years. Some of my books are literally falling apart, and some are in mint condition. Most are somewhere inbetween. I definitely take better care of them now than I did before. Mind you, when I started collecting, I could only afford second-hand books. Still, I preferred to get ones that wouldn't fall apart as soon as I touched them (as is often the case with new books due to shoddy binding).

Likewise, those I have that are autographed range from well-used to pristine. I recently pounced on a Robert Silverberg book because the copy I'd had him autograph was not in great shape, and it's one that hasn't been in print for over 20 years (Up the Line). So now I have the autographed one to keep safe and another one to read.

I have a hardcover edition of The Darkover Concordance. I wasn't lucky enough to get one of the 200 copies that were autographed, but it's still rare enough. Only 500 hardcover copies of this were ever printed, and I've got one of them. There is NO WAY I would dream of treating it shoddily -- considering the amazing fact that I found it at a convention in Calgary, of all places, it's pretty much irreplaceable. And I didn't buy it for its value, although I suspect I could probably sell it for a lot more than what I paid. I've read every word of it, more than once. For a Darkover fan, it's a good reference for the novels published prior to 1978.

The most special occasion I ever had when asking an author to autograph one of his books was with Frederik Pohl. The book I'd chosen was his autobiography, The Way the Future Was. It was a hardcover edition I'd found in a second-hand bookstore, minus its dust cover, and had been well-read. I found it a fascinating account of the early days of fandom, and it was interesting to read about several events that I'd also read about in Isaac Asimov's autobiography. When it was my turn to ask him to autograph a book, he looked a bit curiously at it; after all, it wasn't one of the usual paperbacks that were all over the dealers' room downstairs. And when he saw that it was his own autobiography, his eyes lit up and he leafed through a few pages... and lingered at a page of photographs. There he saw himself, around age 8 or so. I don't know what memories came to his mind at that moment, but it made me very glad I'd chosen this book. Right now, it has a place of honor on one of my bookshelves, and you may be sure that I will do everything possible to preserve it. :)

The most special occasion I ever had when asking an author to autograph one of his books was with Frederik Pohl. The book I'd chosen was his autobiography, The Way the Future Was. It was a hardcover edition I'd found in a second-hand bookstore, minus its dust cover, and had been well-read. I found it a fascinating account of the early days of fandom, and it was interesting to read about several events that I'd also read about in Isaac Asimov's autobiography. When it was my turn to ask him to autograph a book, he looked a bit curiously at it; after all, it wasn't one of the usual paperbacks that were all over the dealers' room downstairs. And when he saw that it was his own autobiography, his eyes lit up and he leafed through a few pages... and lingered at a page of photographs. There he saw himself, around age 8 or so. I don't know what memories came to his mind at that moment, but it made me very glad I'd chosen this book. Right now, it has a place of honor on one of my bookshelves, and you may be sure that I will do everything possible to preserve it. :)

I've had a couple of interesting incidents with writers, giving them cause to grin; but this one is really nifty! While I'm not a Pohl collector, I do think the man contributed an enormous amount to sff, and that is a very neat book... and I, for one, offer a thanks to you for giving him such a wonderful moment....

Your flatmate has a collector's mentality and you do not. I could see two possible courses of action. 1. You could have sold the book to him at an inflated price and bought a new copy, plus a case of beer (or some really good coffee). 2. You could have stuck a slice of ham in it, dropped it in the soup, then slapped your flatmate with it.

Books are for reading, people, not for locking away somewhere out of sight.