How to Write a Best-Selling Fantasy Novel

LOL!!! That is a very cynical - but often sublime - dissection of bad fantasy. :)

Let's hope there are plenty enough good fantasy writers out there who can challenge such bad stereotypes. :)

Lacedaemonian said:
I love it! :D Which of your novels do you recommend I read Mark?
I'd start at the beginning if I were you - they all follow the example given above. :D The Forging of the Sword was the first, and sadly you will laugh at a few of the similarities with the above - the cave with the flat floor for one!

If anything the above example shows us what not to write, however their is a place in my heart for David Eddings styled fantasy.

That's a keen little guide to the genre, yes indeed!

It reminded me, in my animation career we used to suspect that the executives had three big wheels in a secret room somewhere that they would spin to come up with their new animated movie ideas. One wheel would have things like "Barnyard animals, martians, toys, bugs, etc." for the cast of characters, then another would have "outer space, ancient Egypt, darkest Africa, remote island, the big city, etc." for settings, and then the third would have all the plots from all the great works of literature and lore, and other movies too, like, "Taming of the Shrew, Pygmalion, The Incredible Journey, MacBeth, Lost Horizon, etc." Then they would simply spin the big wheels, wait for them to stop, and end up with, "Zoo animals in the big city making an incredible journey to get back to the wild" - which, BTW, is currently in production at Dreamworks. :D