(Found) Please Help...

ericzuerch

This is probably a long shot, but I was hoping someone could help me identify the name of a short story I read a long time ago. I don't remember the name of the author, only the basic premise of the story. If anyone could help me I would greatly appeciate it!

If I recall, the story was set in a school on another planet. The main character was a boy who (I think) grew up on Earth and was always used to seeing the sun. When he moved to the new planet it greatly affected him because the clouds always covered up the sun. He was cast adrift by his fellow classmates because of his odd behavior due to this problem. Weather patterns predicted a showing of the sun, which the boy was very excited about. During the course of the day leading up to the sun coming out the classmates lock him in the closet and forget about him. He remains locked inside when the sun comes out, with all the other classmates getting to see it except for him:(

It has probably been 16 years since I read this, but it has always stayed with me. I wanted to used it in my classroom as part of a short story unit for 7th graders. Any help would be most welcome.

Wow. I haven't thought about that one in a while. I read it in third grade -- I distinctly remember it, and I remember how rotten it made me feel for the rest of the day. (Thanks, Mrs. Selick.) Unfortunately... I can't remember the title or author. Sorry...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! Waves of gratitude flow over the internet towards your unknown location!

Yep Bradbury is correct. There is a film of this story. Prob a tv movie but I remember it well from years ago so it must have made an impression.

Yep Bradbury is correct. There is a film of this story. Prob a tv movie but I remember it well from years ago so it must have made an impression.

Yeah I saw that, it was an episode of the eighties TV series 'The Ray Bradbury theatre'