On Stranger Tides

polymorphikos

Scrofulous Fig-Merchant
I keep hearing a lot of praise for his urban fantasy, but this is the only book by Powers that I’ve read. It’s quite fascinating, set as it is in pirate times around the later life of the infamous Blackbeard. Powers takes the fact that the pirates were in amongst the slaves and the voudoun, and posits that Blackbeard may have been a bocor (if that’s the right word) or voudoun mage. The result is lots of duppies and loas and a Shakespearean puppeteer who gets caught-up in all the magicality going-on.

I was wondering if anyone else had read this and, if so, whether it was fairly representative of the quality of Mr Powers’ work.

After watching "Pirates of the Carribean", I believe TP should sue them... they ripped off a lot of his ideas....

To answer your question, OST is more "accessible" than his other work, but if you liked it a lot, try to track down "The Drawing of the Dark" as well... a medieval swashbuckler with beer, vikings, reincarnated warrior kings, more beer, and Merlin.... it's brilliant.

Willie

I liked the book a lot, as I've mentioned elsewhere in a more recent thread, but seeing this old one revived, I'm intrigued by the notion that it could be described as "urban fantasy." The setting isn't urban, the mood and the sensibility aren't anything like any of the books I would categorize as urban fantasy, and it's more like an old-fashioned swashbuckler than anything.

If Polymorphikos is still around (haven't seen him for awhile), I'd love to discuss this with him.

Or you, willie, if you agree with him.

Teresa Edgerton said:
I liked the book a lot, as I've mentioned elsewhere in a more recent thread, but seeing this old one revived, I'm intrigued by the notion that it could be described as "urban fantasy." The setting isn't urban, the mood and the sensibility aren't anything like any of the books I would categorize as urban fantasy, and it's more like an old-fashioned swashbuckler than anything.
Teresa Edgerton said:

If Polymorphikos is still around (haven't seen him for awhile), I'd love to discuss this with him.

Or you, willie, if you agree with him.

I don't think that's what he was saying.... he started "I keep hearing a lot of praise for his urban fantasy, but" ... so he already knew that OST wasn't the same as, say, Earthquake Weather :)

My favourite Powers is still "The Anubis Gates" ... and that's not urban fantsy either :)

I've recently read 'On Stranger Tides', definitely not urban fantasy... maybe they give that name to any kind of fantasy that's in 'this world' in a post-medieval time.
It's a straightforward story, but I really liked it; the combination of historical places and people with voodoo and magic was great. It would be a great movie, however, I can imagine (non-book-reading) people saying this would be a rip-off of Pirates of the Caribbean... ;)

I can imagine (non-book-reading) people saying this would be a rip-off of Pirates of the Caribbean...

i'm a book reading person, and I almost thought that. . . until i looked at the publishing year of OTS. and yes, Powers would have quite the case for sueing over that movie, although i doubt it would going anywheres.

that said, i really enjoyed OTS. Blackbeard raised by freed/escaped slaves and taught voodoo magic, the fountain of youth, him needing a bride who (i'm not gonna say, it would be a spoiler), crazy brits with mummified goodies. . . all my favorite stuff. but what is it with Powers and mummifed bits? he just loves that stuff.

maybe i should change my user title to "Can't get enough Powers"?

Oh Phoee!!...I had a chance to buy that book a couple of months back but missed the chance and now it's no longer there. I'll need to order it in again....BTW I'll be picking up his book Stress Of Her Regard reprint at the end of this week.

Oh Phoee!!...I had a chance to buy that book a couple of months back but missed the chance and now it's no longer there. I'll need to order it in again....BTW I'll be picking up his book Stress Of Her Regard reprint at the end of this week.

Have you read his older books ? Are you new or seasoned Powers reader ?

Stress of her Regard sound good like most of his books but its not in the top of my next Powers books to get.

Have you read his older books ? Are you new or seasoned Powers reader ?

Stress of her Regard sound good like most of his books but its not in the top of my next Powers books to get.
Huh? You mean you need to ask such a question of moi?....;)

Yes, I've got most of his works and will probably end up with all of his stuff in the end. He's one of my favorite authors and Stress Of Her Regard does look great, can't wait to read the copy. I've enjoyed Last Call, Anubis Gates, Declare and Drawing Of The Dark and have several others still to read. His story collection Strange Itineraries is also worth seeking out.

Cheers.....

Huh? You mean you need to ask such a question of moi?....;)

Yes, I've got most of his works and will probably end up with all of his stuff in the end. He's one of my favorite authors and Stress Of Her Regard does look great, can't wait to read the copy. I've enjoyed Last Call, Anubis Gates, Declare and Drawing Of The Dark and have several others still to read. His story collection Strange Itineraries is also worth seeking out.

Cheers.....

Good to know. I was thinking like "Surely Gollum of all people cant have missed Tim Powers " ;)

Last Call,Anubis Gate im starting to itch after.

And you would be right.....;)

Anubis Gates is very good, I think you'll like that one in particular. There's a Masterwork edn. of that too.

I still consider 'Drawing of the Dark' to be a remarkable book.

I still consider 'Drawing of the Dark' to be a remarkable book.

It is by far the best of his i have read so far and one of my favorite fantasy book overall. The characters,the historical feel,the supernatural side,mythology.

Every TP book i read will be compared to it. Shame there arent other TP books in similar to it or other great historical fantasy like it.

Let's all help Tim get to the POTC: On Stranger Tides premiere

CALLING ALL FANS: I received direct word from Tim that he has not received a direct invitation to attend the premiere to POTC: On Stranger Tides. I have created this petition to gain influence on Tim's behalf. Please consider signing and passing it on to other related forums.

I apologize for not having 15 posts yet and since time is limited, please forward this link as well.

Let's get Tim tot he premiere in style.

www[DOT]petitionspot[DOT]com/petitions/powerspremiere/

Thanks to all!

~ Grendel_Blitz

\m/

Heh they did give him credit for the suggestion for the film why not some free tickets.

I dont really care about POTC movies anymore specially this one that totally will ruin a potentially great story.

Heh they did give him credit for the suggestion for the film why not some free tickets.

I dont really care about POTC movies anymore specially this one that totally will ruin a potentially great story.

Shoot, Conn. It's all about the ride, not the destination.;)

Haha very funny, the first film was fun but the last two was weak. I dont think even the always great Johnny Depp will make me see the film this time.

I just wish someone did a historical fantasy as supernatural,dark as this novel. Not just some big action,adventure without any smarts.

It is entertaining if you like pirate adventure or historical adventure with supernatural twist.