ST: XI - The Menagerie

Re: Simon Pegg will be the young Scotty???

OK a yank with a lousy accent and now an englishman. D'you think the role will ever be played by a genuine scot ?:eek:
Okay, pernickety mode. Wasn't Doohan Canadian?:p

Oh, and no. Not until they give the directorial reins to a Scot. And even then...no.

No argument there. No argument at all. I do worry what Pegg might do in terms of accents, though.

I'm a little surprised at this, but like Joel I'm going to reserve judgement. Although I can't help but wonder a little...

OK a yank with a lousy accent and now an englishman. D'you think the role will ever be played by a genuine scot ?:eek:
I expected it to be given to a genuine Scot. The Sunday newspapers had been saying it had been given to James McAvoy from 'Shameless', (and 'Children of Dune') but it just shows they were as reliable as usual.;)

I was never really into TOS (although I loved the rest of the series) so the casting never really bothers me much (unless it's something stupid like that Robbie Williams for Kirk rumour his PR people put out).

So when I heard Simon Pegg my first thought was "he's not Scottish" (which, as been pointed out, neither was James Doonan) followed by "but I really like him" (in the sense that I like the stuff he does and he seems like a really nice fellow).

There are just too many things wrong with this film in concept. Looking to the past instead of the future, continuing to rewrite Trek history on a whimsy. It just says "cash cow". I'm sure it'll be a fun movie, but it seems the future of Trek is being badly planned.

Having just seen the trailer for something or other with Daniel Radcliffe playing an Australian I'll reserve judgement on anyone "doing" an accent...

Though why they have to re-invent the Star Trek wheel when they have the chance to take things forwards. There's no mileage for fascinating new explorations, just rehashing things we've heard about, have been mentioned in passing or rumour, etc. Who wants to wager we see (or hear about) the Kobayashi Maru incident...?

I just heard Jonathan Ross on 'Film 07' on BBC TV quoting someone saying how "every director in Hollywood wants to be the first person to remake something". This is a subject we've posted about at length on Chronicles. I've also posted at length how I think that a 'Star Trek' prequel is a bad idea (didn't they get that idea yet after canceling 'Enterprise'?) but for some reason Hollywood also likes prequels.

Given that this is actually being made, and given that I will go and see it whatever, I'm going to refrain from any more criticism on that front.

The rest of the cast has also been announced, but I've never heard of the others. It was the Simon Pegg casting that threw me.

Simon Pegg????

Just heard a rumour that Simon Pegg (Run Fatboy Run, Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead) is to play Scotty in the new ST film.

Anyone else heard this or is this like the whole Matt Damon thing?!

If it's true then I'm slightly worried. If they were going to make a parody or spoof of star trek then Pegg would be perfect. Similarly, if Scotty is to only make a brief appearance then it might be okay (in a similar way to Pegg's character in MI:III). I have my doubts if Scotty is to be a major character in the film with Simon Pegg playing the role.

According to IMDB - Simon Pegg has currently nothing to do with Star Trek. Chris Pine is credited but it clearly specifies "Rumour". Simon Pegg is not mentioned whatsoever. I am inclined to think that it is not true.

Brian - your comments about the handling of Star Trek are spot on!

Re: Simon Pegg????

Sorry. Didn't realise there was already a thread on this subject in the movies section.

I am inclined to think that it is not true.
The reports come originally from 'Variety' which doesn't usually report rumours, but the BBC News online is also saying
The British comic has been offered the role of the chief engineer, played by James Doohan in the classic TV series, his manager has told BBC News.

PS. I merged the two threads.

Just saw another blurb in the news today. Some additional casting:

John Cho as Sulu; Zoe Saldana as Uhuru; Anton Yelchin as Chekov; Zachary Quinto as Spock.

Never heard of them. :confused:

Prequels are big in Hollywood these day, it seems. The last Batman flick is a good example. Gives the director a chance to re-write non-history. ;)

I wouldn't rule out the idea of Pegg being a pretty good Scotty. IIRC, he conquered his accent to play a serious role as a Yank NCO in "Band of Brothers". A minor role, but credible.

Regards,

Jim

Maybe they can change his nickname to "Limey".

John Cho as Sulu; Zoe Saldana as Uhuru; Anton Yelchin as Chekov; Zachary Quinto as Spock.

Never heard of them. :confused:
Zachary Quinto was bad guy Sylar in the recent series Heroes. Haven't heard of any of the others, though.

Having just seen the trailer for something or other with Daniel Radcliffe playing an Australian I'll reserve judgement on anyone "doing" an accent...

The thing is his accent probably sounded absolutely terrible to native aussies

Regards,

Jim

I had heard Gary Sinese for McCoy

Authenticity should be attempted in the prequel. But what does this really mean?

Even a prequel would be set far in the future, one in which it is (just) possible that some group of Scots has developed the caricature of an accent that Doohan, as Scotty, used in the original series and films.

I'd be a bit disappointed to find that Pegg's accent was "more authentic", unless it was based on that used by Doohan. Whether Pegg could pull this off (or even a "real" accent) is another matter.

Beyond that, I think the proposed film has too many pitfalls to avoid to be a success; although if it can do so, all to the good.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Highlander II The Original Series (TOS) 29