ST: XI - The Menagerie

ST XI - The Menagerie

It's official, the first draft of Star Trek XI is completed. Check out the following link for more information:

"Star Trek XI" Script Completed!

Plus, another article has indicated that the upcoming Star Trek XI may indeed be a total reboot. Check out the following article below:

Star Trek XI: Total Reboot?

Unnamed studio sources have told IESB that the movie will instead be a "total reboot."

"We will see things that are similar to what is known in the Trek Universe but we will not be held to every aspect of the last 40 years. We are going to introduce Star Trek to a whole new generation and many more generations to come," said the source. "We have total faith that J.J. and company will take Trek to a whole new level. Trek has been going downhill for the last 10 years and if we expect it to be around 20 years from now we will have to take some bold steps that might be controversial at first but we are sure to bring new fans to the dying franchise."

JJ Abrams has been very hush hush about the project thus far. When confronted in interviews however, he has continously reffered to reports of the film being a full on prequel as being "premature" and "not entirely accurate." But a teaser poster released at Comic Con 2006 (pictured above) features a close-up of a Starfleet badge from Kirk's era.

When asked about the feelings of the remaining Star Trek fans, the source quipped: "Trek fans were not able to keep the last show (Enterprise) on the air and we are looking on bringing over Alias and Lost fans and if the old Trekkies like the new movie great, if not too bad. We have to boldly go were no Star Trek has gone before."

In an interview with TV Guide, Abrams revealed that he didn't immediately accept the project: "There have been 10 films and all these different series, so it was a question of finding out what they were anticipating. But it became clear pretty quickly that they were in a really open frame of mind. Then it became, 'Hell, yeah!'"

Doesn't sound good for old Trek fans, but this just might be what the franchise needs to find an audience in the twenty first century.

Star Trek XI will hit theaters in 2008.

And here is the link:

Star Trek XI: Total Reboot? - /FILM

Apparently, Paramount wants to reboot Star Trek, a la Battlestar Galactica style, but if this is true, then it contradicts Abrams's comments who specifically stated in numerous interviews that Star Trek XI will respect established canon. At this point, it doesn't matter if it is a reboot or not because we will always have TOS and nothing will change that. It's possible to have both interpretations of TOS and still enjoy them as separate stories. If we wish to be poetic, we can say that the proposed reboot is of a parallel universe that does not in any way affect or change established canon of Gene Roddenbberry's TOS. To be honest, I don't really care one way or other, providing that the script is good. We shall see. :)

Re: New Star Trek Film

Show us a corrupt, incompetent Federation (as in: even more incompetent than it already is)...
Show us how a group of idealistic rebels tries to refound the Federation, according to its original ideas!

Now, I'll pay $7 to see that! :)

JJ Abrams Confirms Kirk In Star Trek XI

It's all here:

In the new issue of Star Trek Magazine, JJ Abrams finally breaks his silence….a tiny bit. Trek XI’s producer/director tells the official Trek mag "James T Kirk appears in the movie." Although this has been the rumor and essentially working assumption, it is actually the first time that anyone associated with the film has officially disclosed any plot detail about the film. Still no word on who will actually play Kirk in the film or any other official details from Paramount, but Abrams did offer this…

The respect we all have for Star Trek canon - and for a brand-new audience - is massive. The script is done. We’re now starting pre-prep, and we can’t wait to start shooting! Many more details to follow!

Although more of a confirmation than breaking news, it is still a bit of a coup for Star Trek Magazine to be the first to get Abrams on the record, and TrekMovie.com is told we should expect more Trek XI exclusives from the mag. It is also heartening to see Abrams finally break the total ‘cone of silence’ and to commit to ‘more details.’

http://trekmovie.com/2007/04/18/jj-abrams-confirms-kirk-in-star-trek-xi/

Hmmm.... It doesn't actually confirm that William Shatner will be reprising Kirk as an old man, even though Shatner and Nimoy have expressed interest in appearing in the upcoming movie. Plus, just because Abrams has stated that he and his team will respect canon does not mean they will ADHERE to it, those are two different things. Let's hope its not another reboot or I'm going to puke. :p

Re: JJ Abrams Confirms Kirk In Star Trek XI

I'm sick of The Original Series. Why can't they just keep pushing into the future? I've had enough of all these forays into the past; we know what happened, we know what the technology was like and what other races were like. I'd rather see something new instead of a bunch of rehashes.

Re: JJ Abrams Confirms Kirk In Star Trek XI

I agree, stop going back. I thought Generations worked because they killed off Kirk. What will this one be called? Star Trek Resurrection?

Star Trek XI Update: Star Trek XI: Nimoy In, Shatner Out?

It may appear that Shatner may not be involve in Trek XI afterall. Check out the following article:

Star Trek XI: Nimoy In, Shatner Out?

New York paper says 'Boston Legal' star very angry

By MICHAEL HINMAN
Source: TV Guide
Jun-21-2007

If Kirk and Spock were to get into a fist fight, who would win?
Fans may get a chance to find out after William Shatner apparently is not very happy with the fact that his former "Star Trek" co-star and long-time friend Leonard Nimoy has been offered a cameo role in the upcoming "Star Trek XI" film, while Shatner's invitation seems to have been lost in subspace.

Early reports, later confirmed by Shatner himself, said that both heand Nimoy had been approached about having some type of minor role in the reported reboot film being directed by J.J. Abrams. Filming is not expected to begin until November, and casting is still underway, but the New York Post is reporting that as far as famous cameos from the original series, the decision has already been made.

Shatner, best known to genre fans (and the world) as Capt. James T. Kirk, reportedly is "very upset" about not being extended an invitation. "He has been lobbying for a role," a source told the newspaper.

It's unclear who has been asked to make cameos in the film, or what the actors may have asked for to make those appearances. Nimoy has been all but retired in recent years, making occasional appearances on television as the man made famous by his pointy-eared Vulcan. Shatner, however, has been much more busy in his Emmy-winning role of Denny Crane in ABC's "Boston Legal," which up until the end of the most recent season also starred another Trek alumni, "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine's" Rene Auberjonois.

If there has been a decision made, Shatner's representative isn't aware of it.

"I don't know that to be the case, so I can't comment," the rep said.

"Star Trek XI" is expected to premiere Dec. 25, 2008.

See link here:

http://www.syfyportal.com/news423791.html

Hmmmm.... I think the reason why Shatner will not be involve is probably because he knew he was going to make a cameo only and wanted a bigger role. Either that, or he was going to play the grandfather to Kirk. I can't say I'm not surprised at this considering his over inflating ego. Plus, the article seems to hint that this is going to be a reboot afterall. If that's the case, then I'm not looking forward to it. I just hope I'm wrong.

Re: Star Trek XI Update: Star Trek XI: Nimoy In, Shatner Out?

Didn't Kirk die in Generations?

And as for the question in the article, Kirk and Spock have fought before, but they always seem to forget that Spock is significantly stronger.

Yeah, what they gonna do, make him a zombie (It'll cost you $1000 to use that idea now.):D

Ah! But this is meant to be some kind of 'Academy Days' idea, or at least a sequel to 'Enterprise' and prequel to 'Star Trek: The Original Series', so any appearance by Nimoy and Shatner would be as different charcters, as cameo roles (unless there is a time travel element.)

Incidently, if it is set in the academy days era of Spock and Kirk, it will be a different script to that script Harve Bennett produced for the second film that was never made.

There is more on this in the Star Trek XI thread. I personally think it's a stupid idea that is going to kill off Star Trek forever. It isn't what the fans want. Fans want either a Voyager film, another TNG film, or a DS9/TNG/Voyager combination film, or something set in the far future.

For some reason TPTB have got the idea that a prequel will widen the fan-base and bring in non fans. I can't see that myself. Most people have heard of Star Trek, but few other than fans are going to go and see one of the films, especially after this long a gap between TV series and films.

Many fans have not seen the Original Series because they are too young; they grew up instead with TNG and Voyager. Added to that, you would think that they would realise that prequels don't work after their experience with 'Enterprise' (and with the 'Star Wars' prequels.)

Well, Shatner initially stated that he was open to return as Kirk but he was wondering how Abrams was going to have the dead Kirk interact with the young Kirk. Thing is, Shatner was assuming too much and it's quite possible that both Shatner and Nimoy are either making cameo appearances as their iconic roles or as new characters. Well, just have to wait and see.

'Star Trek XI' Has Room For Shatner After All

Well, looks like Shatner is finally onboard for Trek XI. See the following article below:

'Star Trek XI' Has Room For Shatner After All

Writers say they would be honored to have original Kirk aboard

By MICHAEL HINMAN
Jun-29-2007

For now, it seems all the hub-bub on who will get cameo roles in the upcoming 11th Star Trek film is just that ... hub-bub.
William Shatner, who originated the role of Capt. James T. Kirk in the original "Star Trek," reportedly was miffed that he was left out of a possible cameo role in the upcoming film, but writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci say that's just hogwash.

"We were very surprised about that," Kurtzman told MTV about hearing Shatner's supposed snub.

"We're certainly hoping to include him in the shoot because we have nothing but reverence and awe for the man," Orci said.

Now that it seems like Shatner's extra paycheck to appear in yet another Star Trek film is safe for now, the writers say they are still trying to figure out if the new actor to portray Kirk will have to exhibit some of the same, well, acting traits of Shatner.

"It's tough because so many of the people that portrayed the characters in Star Trek were distinctive," Orci said. "A lot of the writing created Shakespearean-type characters, such that you could imagine it going both ways. You could imagine it being open to interpretation, or you can imagine it being really faithful. We're trying to figure out how to do that."

Reports continue to abound that the new Star Trek movie will indeed be a remake, and while the world around Star Trek has changed since 1966, the world of Star Trek won't change as much as it did for "Battlestar Galactica" or even Batman, the writers said.

Gene Roddenberry "created a side of 'Star Trek' as a response to the Cold War," Kurtzman said. "In a way, he made a fantasy of finding a way for everyone to come together -- and that has managed to stick through all the versions of Star Trek. The world's changed, but it also hasn't. We live in a world where it's about ultra-paranoia of others, and that is as it was back when Roddenberry invented Trek. IN a way, it's more timely now than ever to be doing this."

To read more about Kurtzman's and Orci's thought on the new Star Trek film as well as next week's premiere of "Transformers," check out MTV's original interview by clicking here.

Science fiction news from SyFy Portal: Battlestar Galactica, Heroes, Doctor Who, and more

As much I don't like Shatner, I think its only appropriate for him to appear in the movie alongside Nimoy. Thoughts anyone?

Re: 'Star Trek XI' Has Room For Shatner After All

Actually, no but I just hope this movie is not a remake. Unlike Galactica, Trek does not need to be remade, just start a new series several centuries after Next Gen with a new crew, ship and cool new technologies.

Re: ST: XI - The Beginning (spoilers)

Apologies if this info has already been posted but I've heard that Robbie Williams (not not Robin!) was a candidate to play the young Kirk and that Sylar from Heros might be a potential Spock.

Simon Pegg will be the young Scotty???

I love Simon Pegg's work. I think 'Spaced' was brilliant, 'Shaun of the Dead' inspired, 'Hot Fuzz' is great, and even 'Run, Fat Boy, Run' was okay, but this is just Wrong! How can he play a young Scotty. Please tell me I'm not the only person to think this is wrong.

Pegg plays Scotty in new Star Trek
(from AOL news)

Simon Pegg will play as Scotty in Star Trek film British actor Simon Pegg is to play a young Scotty in the new Star Trek film.

The movie is a prequel chronicling the early days of Captain James T Kirk and his Starship Enterprise crew.

Shaun of the Dead star Pegg will take the role of chief engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott, played in the original TV series by James Doohan.

The film is being directed by Lost creator JJ Abrams.

He cast Pegg, 37, after working with him on Mission: Impossible III.

This will be the 11th Star Trek movie and shooting begins in November. It is set for release on Christmas Day 2008.

Australian star Eric Bana will play the baddie, Nero, and original Spock Leonard Nimoy has a cameo role. US actor Chris Pine is in talks to play the young Captain Kirk.

The film will show the crew first meeting at the Starfleet Academy and embarking on their first mission.

Pegg found fame in TV comedy Spaced and went on to have big screen success in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

He is currently starring in the film Run Fat Boy Run and will next appear in a movie version of Toby Young's memoir How To Lose Friends and Alienate People.

I don't remember him in MI:III. I saw him in 'Doctor Who'.

Re: Simon Pegg will be the young Scotty???

You're not the only one, Dave. I saw this at lunchtime today and was speechless for the next half hour. Love the guy, but you're right; he just isn't Scotty...

In MI3 he was the guy that Ethan phones at the agency. The one who does his phone tracing and tech questions.

I'll reserve judgement on this until I see it. After all, he might make an excellent Scotty.

OK a yank with a lousy accent and now an englishman. D'you think the role will ever be played by a genuine scot ?:eek:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Highlander II The Original Series (TOS) 29