The black Ajah and the Rod

The Soul of Shadows

Keeper of the B.H.G.
I write read and play some games and go on random
Well my friend and i were discussing something that occured to me about the Black Ajah. Though this has occured to me i don't think it would have occured to me if i were apart of this world. Ok we all know what the Black Ajah is and what they can do that regular Sisters can't. But then it hit me. The Rod of Oaths.

If there Amrylin Seat had called each of the Sisters for an emergency meeting and had them line up one by one entering the chamber, could it have been possible that the Amrylin Seat could have each Sister resworn and asked the straigh forward question

"Are you apart of the Black Ajah, or do you have any connection with the Dark One, or anything that opposes the Tower, Yes or No?"

They would have to answer yes or no, no matter what because now it is known for a fact they can't lie nor could they use the One Power against her, because they know she isn't of the Black Ajah or a Darkfriend or anything of the sort. So what do you think? Do you think that it would work. Not the plan really more or so the idea of having them resworn. If not say why if so say why and give a method of how you would go about it.

Blessed be

I can't remember 100% but I'm sure that the members of the Black Ajah had ways to circumvent the Oath Rod, at least on the oaths they swore on it when they first became Aes Sedai.
I don't think the oath rod could be used as a lie detector either, it's more a device for ensuring that you couldn't do x, y or z. You wouldn't be able to use it to ask someone questions, just stop them doing stuff you didn't want them to do, so you could have them swear not to become a Black Ajah and to report any attempt at recruitment but I'm sure these, in some form, exist as part of the current Aes Sedai enrollment.
There may be another ter'angreal around which is more like a lie detector of course.

I don't recall, do the members of the black ajah actually refer to themselves as black ajah?

The Black Ajah really couldn't call themselves anything, i mean if you call them Darkfriends then you think of hte powerless freaks out there, and callinghtem Black Sisters is the same thing. So i don't think so, but i do recall them calling themselves the Black Ajah in book four in Tanchico.

On other news, no you are right it can't be used as a lie detector but on the other hand they still can't lie. A very good example was given yet again in book four. The Seanchan had captured a Yellow Sister, and tried to get her to say that the carpet was brown. They said somehting along the lines that it was alomost imposible, like pulling teeth.(I can't recall but i remember the scene very clearly.) So trying to get a Black Sister to say:

"No I am not of the Black Ajah, I am not a Darkfriend, I have nothing to do with the Dark One, or anything oposed to the Tower."

They would be sweating and turning red, and even then it would prolly only be a former White Sister who could do such a thing, thers would prolly scream and soil themselves trying to say that.

Its been a while since i read the series, but didnt the "rebels" that went back to the tower do something like you've suggested to work out who the black sister left in the tower are???

Yeah, they first had to use the oath rod to remove the old oaths, then swear knew ones. Removing the old oaths was very painfull.

Yes that's right. I think that's how the BA do it in the first place, too. They remove the original Aes Sedai oaths, and replace them with oaths to the DO.

In theory it could work as you have suggested. It seems when sisters take oaths to the Dark One it breaks all previous oaths, enableing them to lie. Late in the series (i wont get into specifics in case some havent got that far) they prove that if a black sister retakes oaths on the oath rod they are bound by them as if they were not black ajah.

So yeah, the Amyrlin could technically do what you suggest, but you have to think about the political implications of doing so. a) you would be admitting publicly it exists b) even if the outside world never found out it would still cause huge schisms in the tower and c) if the outside world did find out the black ajah existed then they would trust aes sedai even less. Plus a whole host of other unforseen consequences.

Cheers,

Ive read the last couple books more than once this month alone so allow me a brief period of authoritative type....the rod can be used to remove all oaths previously sworn on it. The oath to the Dark One doesnt remove the previous oaths they use the oath rod and remove oaths and then swear to the Dark One. They even have a way to force a sister to turn to the Dark One against their will (but thats just a rumor, havent actually seen that one)
It is presumed the Black Ajah used this to circumvent their earlier oaths.

It is apparent in the Knife of Dreams that the Black have absolutely no problem lying without evincing any outward mannerisms.

Now for lining the sisters up and doing the oath parade....not gonna happen. Remember protocol is a strangely strong force in the Tower and thats just not going to happen. The Amrylin may see the need for it but the Tower would feel threatened and mayhaps depose her for violating protocol. Not many Amrylins would be willing to take that risk.

Besides if every character were that practical we wouldnt have much mystery.

With power currently being decentralised and the Ajahs at each other's throats...no. It's just not a viable scenario.