10.11: The Quest (II)

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I thought this was the best episode in a very long time. It was so good in fact, that my view of part I has now improved (as it was responsible for setting it up so well.) I think it worked on many levels and even though much was resolved and uncovered, it still had a cliffhanger ending.

It appears that we (in the UK) have seen this first so I can't copy a synopsis from the WWW. I haven't time to explain it all, but Morgan's secret is an aged Merlin held in stasis.

Look away now if you don't want further spoilers....

After completing all the tests, including vanquishing the dragon, they are transported (minus Adria) to a room with one of those ancient memory devices. This one is more focused, and Daniel uses it to gain Merlin's knowledge. Merlin has died but passes on the knowledge of the weapon to Daniel via the device.

Daniel also gains some magic-like powers such as telekinesis.

Adria is tracking them as the obelisk allows them to skip planets. One nit was how she could know she was catching up with them every time. I mean, if I go to meet someone at a particular place but find they have left, I have no idea if they have just left, or they left hours ago. Why is this any different?

Anyway, the weapon is half-built when the Ori arrive. It kills the troops, but Adria captures Daniel and wants his secrets.

I did like this one, I loved the idea of them shifting from planet to planet. It's the first time in a while that I've really enjoyed watching an ep. without clockwatching.

Daniel receiving Merlin's memories and powers, that was cool.

The dialogue between Mitchell and Vala about watching helplessly while Daniel risks his life for them was moving.

I think most of us managed to guess the name of the guardian, albeit not in Ancient.
I thought the idea of them shifting from planet to planet was a good idea as well. Pity that Carter decided that she wanted to take the obelisk to bits and play with it, even though she knew that Adria would be on their heels.

Certainly set the scene for the later 'controversial story arc' for Daniel with him being the only hope of completing Merlins weapon, and now being captured by the Ori. Should make for interesting viewing.

I liked it, although Adria is becoming more and more like a mannequin by the episode. Didn't think the SFX for the dragon were particularly good either, not when you consider how great some of the space battles look in this show.

I think the SciFi channel is being dumb and is waiting to air the back-half of S10 of SG-1 in April as 'the final season' of SG-1. This - is kind of annoying. And means that those of you in the UK and possibly other locales will finish seeing the entire season probably 6 weeks before we get the first ep of the back half.

*shakes head at SciFi*

Good thing I don't care too much about spoilers for this show anymore...

So - I'll try to keep up with some episode stuff, but won't have much to add until the eps air over here. Goofy SciFi.