Help! Can't remember the title nor author!

azhwi

This has been plaguing me all night. I'm not sure if anyone has asked about this one already - but here goes.

I saw this sometime in the 1990's. I think it had just come out, and I was reading the hardcover.

The front cover has a girl and a guy in an orchard, looks like apple blossoms. On the back cover is a hart, or female deer I believe.

The book starts out with a female character who does not remember her name, and she is very very afraid. As the book progresses she is haunted by a creature that turns out to be a golem made from her unborn baby. Father being another young man named Grey.

She calls herself Winter. I *think* Tregarde from Mercedes Lackey is mentioned as Winter finds help from two people, one who is a modern witch, and another who is a male same profession.
The two people try to help her using diagrams on the floor to confront the golem, but it's too dangerous and powerful and ends up breaking free and hurting the the two witches.

There's something in the way that Hart refers to the girl.

In the end the baby is laid to rest the via mental and spiritual acceptance between Winter and Grey. Grey attempts to give up on life(he's in a coma) but Winter scolds him into staying alive.
She's driving to the hospital in a mercedes(heavy car, good in snow) so that she can visit Grey. I believe her real name, or spiritual name is Hart.

Baby was made into Golem during some kind of amatuer ritual the group of young teenagers were doing. Apparently she did it out of fear, and didn't realize she had done it. Thus why the baby golem(big and scary) has been hunting her since she lost her memory. I believe it had also killed off the other members of the ritual. All exept her and Grey.

Imagine, remembering all that, and failing to write down the silly title and author.

Hope someone can pick this one out! I *thought* it was called Winter's Hart. But I can't find word or mention of any kind of book that sounds remotely like this.
I remember how while reading the book I thought it was neat how Hart was in the book, and there was a deer on the back cover.

The books hardcover, and maybe 300 pgs, a little bigger than average, but not huge.

The cover you describe is The White Hart by Nancy Springer, Pocket books 1979,with the Stag on the back cover, part of a series others being the silver sun,the sable moon,the black beast & the Golden Swan 1980,81,82,83.respectively.

Ah, I may have described the cover, but that is no where near the contents. It's modern magic, not high fantasy.

Thank you for the attempt though. Much appreciated.

Heartlight, I think, part of a series which includes Witchlight. I don't remember anything else. Or maybe Hartlight, whichever.

It might have been by Mercedes Lackey. I remember it was an authress I normally liked, but I didn't like that.

Anyway, good luck.

I don't know of any book called Heartlight by Mercedes Lackey, but Marion Zimmer Bradley published one under that title a few years back -- part of her 'Light' series -- and a previous volume in the same series, Witchlight, does feature a cover with a man kneeling before a lady in an orchard, so that could well be the one you're after.

Back