Ursula Le Guin's best?

Discussion in 'Ursula K Le Guin' started by Jayaprakash Satyamurthy, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Victoria Silverwolf

Victoria Silverwolf Vegetarian Werewolf

So much of her writing is so lovely.

However, as soon as I read the title of this thread I was sure how I would answer.

The short story "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" sends chills up and down my spine with its utter brilliance.

Very close to that would be the short story "The Day Before the Revolution."

2. BetaWolf

BetaWolf Keith A. Manuel

I just finished The Tombs of Atuan. I liked it even more than A Wizard of Earthsea, I think because she turned the original novel inside out by making Sparrowhawk the secondary character and establishing this whole different world that we got two glimpses of in the first novel. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but I really enjoyed it.

The Omelas story is I agree chilling, short and remarkably deep.

3. Nightspore

Nightspore From Inner Space

I need to read more Le Guin, but The Dispossessed is an excellent novel.

4. Glisterspeck

Glisterspeck Frozen sea axe smith

My very bit of writing is the jellyfish introduction to the Lathe of Heaven.

5. Pratfall II

Pratfall II Member

The Dispossessed and The Lathe of Heaven. Also her short stories "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas", "The Shobies' Story", and "Darkness Box".

6. thelastactionhero

thelastactionhero Member

The Other Wind is my personal favorite. Incredibly sad, and unremittingly beautiful.

7. farntfar

farntfar Who needs built-in obsolescence when you've got me

I've followed all of your advice and found a copy of The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas,
    which I hadn't seen before.
    I've just read it.
    I shall now go in a room and shudder by myself for a while.

8. Jesse412

Jesse412 Old Curmudgeon

The Left Hand of Darkness is a must read and one of my all time favorite books.

9. G.D. Lascelle

G.D. Lascelle cosmic groove kitten

Coming late to this particular party but ... in no particular order: the Dispossessed, The Left Hand of Darkness and the Earthsea Quartet. Of course this doesn't mean that other novels aren't good, but these ones are actually classics IMHO. I have read a few of her short stories, but most of them haven't stuck in my memory. The exception being The Day Before the Revolution.