The Heritage of Shannara!

Kitera

Dreamer ~
Have anyone read this series? I began reading it this morning and found that the start is a little slow with the heavily equipped descriptions and the explanations. I got lost a fair bit, but having read his other trilogy “The voyage of Shannara” I understood some of the concepts.

So tell me did you enjoy this particular series? Was it good or bad? I’m just curious to know, but having read up to chapter seven, I’m seeing more actions. Surely that’s a good sign…right?

I've read all of his books, and liked them all. Terry Brooks is one of my top 5 favorite authors. Some books took longer to get into, but I always stuck it out because I knew it would be worth it. I was never disappointed.

I got The Sword Of Shannara from a charity shop in Rochester but could not get into it, just yet anyways, will go back to it at some point.

That one any good?

I got The Sword Of Shannara from a charity shop in Rochester but could not get into it, just yet anyways, will go back to it at some point.

That one any good?

Yes, I think The Shannara series is even better than the Heritage of Shannara series, but my favorite series by Terry Brooks is the Word and Void series.

Aaah. Can't say I know much about it but your reccommendation is always a good sign. :)

Yes, I think The Shannara series is even better than the Heritage of Shannara series, but my favorite series by Terry Brooks is the Word and Void series.

100% Fact. :)

I have yet to pick up Heritage however I plan to once I finish what I am currently reading.

The sword of Shannara is great however I am biased as it was my first fantasy book!

Was there great dislike of the book? Claiming that it was a huge rip off of LOTR or did I read that wrong somewhere.

There was a quote about how it was a book that should never have been written.

That isn't my opinion.

Was the that the general feeling or am I wrong?

That one any good?

It has a slow start, buy once you get into it, you won't be disappointed. =] I'm up to teh 2nd nook in that trilogy.

Was there great dislike of the book? Claiming that it was a huge rip off of LOTR or did I read that wrong somewhere.
Well in that particular series, there is a dwarf and it has magical elements. But not having read the LOTR trilogy yet ( I know, I'm sorry) and only watched it, no; not a huge chunk . Terry Brook has his ways of telling a story, but there are some elements that are from LOTR, that I have to admit.

That is ok, I never read LOTR and to be honest I don't really intent to.

I loved the Hobbit but LOTR, seen the films and there is other stuff out there I want to get through/into really

Not hugely into LOTR.

Back to Shannara, I will try and read it once more, when I find it.

I loved the Hobbit

Oh! I was planning to read that since I got the funny version of it called "The Soddit." I was planning to read the real version of it before going into the funny version. What is the whole storyline about?

Have anyone read this series? I began reading it this morning and found that the start is a little slow with the heavily equipped descriptions and the explanations. I got lost a fair bit, but having read his other trilogy “The voyage of Shannara” I understood some of the concepts.

So tell me did you enjoy this particular series? Was it good or bad? I’m just curious to know, but having read up to chapter seven, I’m seeing more actions. Surely that’s a good sign…right?

You'll find Heritage much much better than the Voyage trilogy, although you are reading the books backwards. The correct order is Sword,Elfstones,Wishsong (first trilogy) Scions,Druid,Elf Queen,Talismans (Heritage series) and then the Voyage Trilogy, then the High Druid Trilogy.
Thats chronological, which IMO is the best order for them to be read, so that you get the full impact of people turning up and understand the way the Four Lands have moved on over the thousand or so years that the books cover.

After you finish these, have a look at Terrys Word/Void trilogy, its the best stuff he's done to date IMO.

Oh! I was planning to read that since I got the funny version of it called "The Soddit." I was planning to read the real version of it before going into the funny version. What is the whole storyline about?

Well my dear, 'Sets self down in a comfy chair to explain.'

It had Bilbo Baggins in it and Gandalf and a load of dwarves, and others but I am not telling you who else ;)

Thw story tells of a big red Dragon called Smaug who lives under a mountain with his treasure. The dwarves want it back coz it was theres and it goes from there.

Funny enough that description doesn't seem so grand but I assure with hand on heart it is a great, lovely and wonderful book. Highly highly recommened!

I've got the graphic novel aswell, read that loads of times.

Funny, serious and everything in between! A true wonder.

Well my dear, 'Sets self down in a comfy chair to explain.'

It had Bilbo Baggins in it and Gandalf and a load of dwarves, and others but I am not telling you who else ;)

Thw story tells of a big red Dragon called Smaug who lives under a mountain with his treasure. The dwarves want it back coz it was theres and it goes from there.

Funny enough that description doesn't seem so grand but I assure with hand on heart it is a great, lovely and wonderful book. Highly highly recommened!

I've got the graphic novel aswell, read that loads of times.

Funny, serious and everything in between! A true wonder.

Thank you Saolta, i'll take your word for it and grab myself a copy =]

Oh yes, a lovely book, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

If you don't you can scream at me. :-D lol

*Laughs* That's a deal then =]

I think it would be the first J R R Tolkien's book that I'll read.

Yeah it was my first aswell, well come to think of it, it was the only one I read by Tolkien.

The LOTR trilogy is just too big for me me thinks.

I bought the book today!!!! I never knew the Hobbit was also called, "There and back again."

The cover looks different from the ones in the library, but I think thats cause it has been reprinted many times before. I can't wait to read it though. I haven't read the LOTR trilogy yet, but I've watched the movies =/

Good onya gal!! A fine choice I must say! There are many covers actually, I love the weirdly drawn one, done in the think lines, a black and green cover. Looks odd you could say...

here it is Image:Hobbit cover.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I love that cover!

Yeah There And Back Again, if you remember that was Bilbo's book title at the end of the LOTR films. Clever.

'Ponders' I will have to reread that one, yes I know I said I don't normally re-read books in the 'Reread' Topic but that one can be my exception. Hmmmmm, you got the ol gray matter going Kitera!

I have a worn, loved copy of the Hobbit that I read, was parents nicked it from em hehe! and an unread copy that I keep, all neat and tidy.

Here is my neat and tidy one, one in the middle - 42

And my nicked one in the middle, and my graphic novel on the left -

That was a long thread, sorry.

Bit aces for getting it. Hope you enjoy, and if ya don't mind maybe tell moi what you thought of it when you fin it.

Hehehe I got the weirdly drawn one; the one on your first link. It was kind of weird when I got it, it just stooof on the shelves as if it was waiting for me to buy it =] Or maybe I'm just strange *laughs* Ohh I forgot to add, the one I got, the circle in the cover isn't blank, its red =S

WOw you really must love The Hobbit, since you have a few copies.

The one you got, the 3rd link looks pretty =]

*sighs* But I won't be able to read it until I finish off the Heritage of Shannara series first, only 2 more books to go until the Hobbit!

So what book are you reading now?

Last edited: