Anyone here read any Spider Robinson?

Read about the first 30-40 pages of his "Night of Power" novel,and as yet not picked it up again.Found the start a bit ordinary,after the Book cover and Intro. blurb.
Anyone read it to the end,maybe help me start it again?....:)

I'm still trying to get books for this author from my library:confused:

rune said:
I'm still trying to get books for this author from my library:confused:
rune, if you weren't across an ocean from me I'd loan you some of mine. My library has a few but most of those are his scifi works which I just can't get into.

I think what I like most about his writing is his interesting mix of sarcasm/cynicism and hope for human nature. It's an odd if true to heart mixture that appeals to me.

Would you believe I got work from the library today and picked up the only book they had of his Earthquake Weather. I know it's probably not the best book to start with, but it may give me a feel for if I'll enjoy his works :)

rune said:
Would you believe I got work from the library today and picked up the only book they had of his Earthquake Weather. I know it's probably not the best book to start with, but it may give me a feel for if I'll enjoy his works :)
Earthquake Weather is Tim Powers I think, not Spider Robinson.

Lazygun - Night of Power is definitely not his best work. Go for his 'Dance' series for scifi or the Callahan series for thoughtful fun.

My brother once told me that Spider Robinson could write about a trip to the corner store and make it seem like one of the most interesting things you hae ever read and that far more would be accomplished in the process.

Though I have never read this author, I will have to see if he has any of his books laying around I guess! :)

Rahl

kyektulu said:
After I first stumbled across this thread I tried to order in any of his books in my local book shop only to find he isnt even on thier authors system on the computer!
I think I will try the libary... :confused:
Your local bookshop needs to be schooled! Of course, that's just my opinion :p

Just started "Callahan's Key".

Never did get back to that "Night of Power",see if that changes after finishing this.
So far has a kinda Stainless Steel feel to it...:)

Just finished Callahan's Key.:)

Will buy a few more next time,...engaging and entertaining in a manner new to me.
And it has Pixel.:D

This would be a question for anyone with a knowledge of Spider's short stories:

Which story has to do with a character who fathers a child with the intention of later making her his wife?

That's about all I know about the plot.

appreciate any help
anyone might offer with this!

Love Spiders work- is he still living on his island and thus triple wubbly unobtainable?
Has a slight tendency to drive an idea into the ground- the best of the "Stardance" series was the original novella- each additional layer diluted the idea a little more.
Bit of a leftover hippy- look who's talking- I'll buy anything he writes.

Actually, he's pretty approachable - at least via his website and letters. He seems to truly enjoy speaking with fans and whatnot.

There's nothing like an old hippie - at least they aren't full of stress and tense nerves.

I'm not too fond of his scifi stuff - too ethereal and full of ideas that make my head hurt. My favorite's (if you couldn't tell from my earlier posts) are his short stories and the Callahan series. He does a great article as well. Seems to have a good newspaper voice. Instead of speaking at people, he speaks to them. There really is a difference.

dwndrgn said:
Actually, he's pretty approachable - at least via his website and letters. He seems to truly enjoy speaking with fans and whatnot.

I'll second that- I sent him a letter (about fifteen years ago, admittedly) and he replied, even enclosing the words of a song he wanted set to music (I saw it in one of the later Callahan books, so probably someone else finished it) but it came as we were rebuilding the video studio, so got put to one side- and I never found it again.

dwndrgn said:
There's nothing like an old hippie - at least they aren't full of stress and tense nerves.

I'm not too fond of his scifi stuff - too ethereal and full of ideas that make my head hurt. My favorite's (if you couldn't tell from my earlier posts) are his short stories and the Callahan series. He does a great article as well. Seems to have a good newspaper voice. Instead of speaking at people, he speaks to them. There really is a difference.

I challenge anyone to come up with an idea I'm not ready to consider (really)
:p . But I do think he's better with short material- the best "Stardance" was the original, novella version.