Will somebody suggest a good fantasy series?

His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman was already mentioned. It consists of The Golden Compass, The Amber Spyglass & The Subtle Knife.

These novels are so far above standard YA fare that there's almost no comparison. Rather than the simplistic "be brave and do the right thing" moral, the books examine morality and ethics in all their complexity.

If this purchase is for a youngster, it must be a youngster who can think.

-- WF

I can recommend "The Immortal Nicholas Flamel" series, I am currently on the 4th book "The Necromancer" it's kind of Percy Jackson meet Potter, (but what isnt? hah)

Don't know if its been mentioned(Didn't see it anywhere). But I would highly suggest Eric Nylund's current YA series "Mortals Coils" and "All that Lives Must Die". The series is still being written and he has not said how many books there will be. I really like these books. If I had to do the agent pitch I say.. "Its Percy Jackson being trained at Hogwarts by the X-Men..." hahaha. But seriously, its very Percy Jackson meets Harry Potter meets X-Men with just a TINY PINCH of Twilight... for spice of course.

Here are some good ones

Harry Potter - Jk Rowling
Inkworld - Cornelia Funke
Ranger's Apprentice - John Flanagan (Not sure if this qualifies as fantasy)
Graceling/Fire - Kristin Cashore
Seven Kingdoms - Cinda Williams Chima

These three are not classified as YA fantasy, but they might as well be.

Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson
Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss
Eye of the World - Robert Jordan

Oh and Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan isn't too bad either, but I hesistate to recommend it. That's it then, I can't think of any others.

:)There is the HOUSE OF NIGHT series by P.C. CAST AND KRISTIN CAST.:D

If you're a girl, maybe! ;) I read the first one recently. The only good reason I can think of for a male reader to indulge in this sort of story is to be able to talk to girls about it! However, that is a pretty good reason...

The Narnia books are always worth a read and are easy to get into. I would also recommend the obvious ones such as Harry Potter and the Chresomanci books by Dianna Wynn Jones. Should that fail there's always Terry Pratchett's Discworld series if you want a laugh =]

I can recommend "The Immortal Nicholas Flamel" series, I am currently on the 4th book "The Necromancer" it's kind of Percy Jackson meet Potter, (but what isnt? hah)

I have been trying to read the first one for about 3 months now. I just can't get into it. But maybe I will push through if the rest of the series is good. My friend has also said to read these books.

Mercedes Lackey her Valdemar stuff, usually comes in trilogys but there must be 15-20 of them overall, maybe more. I can't think of anything offensive or worriesome for age 12/13 but then I am so darn old that anything inappropriate for youth does not leap out at me anymore so perhaps others could provide a confirmation or denial for that age group. :)

Here are some series read by my 9 year old daughter. She is an advanced reader and reads mostly books in the YA category but sometimes goes back into the children's or expands into the adult categories depending on what catches her attention.

The Sisters Grimm by Michael Buckley I think there are 10 books - short books and an easy read
Spiderwick series by by Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi another easy read
Inkhart by Cornelia Funke 3 books
Dragonlance Chronicles by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis
Darkest Powers series by Kelly Armstrong
Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins this is scifi but my daughter really liked it, has a lot of violence though.

These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Last edited: