Which book would make the best film?

Talysia

Lady of Autumn
This was inspired by the 'Dragon Riders' thread, but I thought it might be worth asking anyway. Which one of the Pern books would make the best film?
I think that Dragonflight would be the best choice, as it explains the situation perfectly, but I've heard some say that Dragonsdawn would be a better choice, as it shows the origins of the dragons. As for who should play who, well, I don't mind - as long as they don't deviate too much from the books.

The White Dragon.
Orphan boy rescues "runt" dragon at last moment, they grow up together, crisis hits Pern, dragons unique "runtiness" proves to be the only solution: What a perfect script!:D

Not dragonsdawn; you only get the dragons in the final chapters, most of it's standard disaster movie. Either the "Dragonflight" trilogy, or, if you want one book (=one film) Moreta.
But they'd get it wrong, anyway. And you'll never get a cinema to go "between".

I agree, Moreta would be best. But they'll get it wrong anyway no matter what. Still, when and if they do make a Pern movie, I'll probably go and see it anyway.

Moreta probably translates easiest to film; the story is told in a compact amount of time and doesn't need a lot of narration to tell the back story (ie the plague is pretty self-explanatory; the missing Weyrs and lack of belief in Threadfall is not).

For books outside of the Pern series, I think Freedom or Talent might translate well to film. And the basis of the Ship Who Sang books would be great for a tv series (with no need to necessarily film the actual books).

Yes, I agree, both Freedom and Talent could translate well to film, although sadly Freedom is left with so many unfinished plots that it hurts just to think about it.

The Talents could also make for pretty good TV, although they latter books are quite confusing, because they contain so many characters.

The Crystal Singer books would make some interesting movies too, especially the first two.

I think Dragon Flight would make the best film. There is more than enough action, and with todays technology the dragons should look really good.

Copy-n-paste

Unfortunately, if I were a movie studio I'd probably have to go with Dragonsdawn. It chronologically is the beginning of the story. It would also end with a huge special effects sequence and I'm sure they would ham up the romance. It would all fit in one movie and set things up for future movies.

BUT, I would rather have the first movie be Dragonflight. Discovering this whole strange world by being immersed in it. It would turn off some people, but it's really kind of cool. Kind of like how the Star Wars movie New Hope starts you out in the middle of this elaborate new world in the middle of the story.

I can picture some great cinematic scenes, but from the movie studio perspective there isn't a ton of action in Dragonflight and a lot would have to be cut and reworked to speed things up. Some of the wonder related to the past may get lost (even if it's the first movie).

Hmm . . Dragonflight might almost be better as a short TV series (kind of like the Sopranos or the new Dr. Who) something with only 13 or so episodes with high production value.

I'm not sure if any of the other books could start the ball rolling, but once things are started . . . that small book about delivering vaccine might make a halfway decent TV movie. Heck it could beat out at least half of the Sci-Fi channel's movies and it would probably be pretty low budget too.

I'd choose the Menolly books. They'd make a good set of movies and they are ones I'd like to see done actually. Dragons and the dragon lizards. And Menolly is a great character along with Piemur and you'd get to see how the whole Harper Hall worked.

I agree with the White Dragon, it's always been my favourite - but there's a lot happens in it and I can imagine a studio turning into a 'boy's film' (all chases and adrenaline) missing out half the story and leaving people bemused - as they did with Eragon, which was a great book but dreadful film. And which surely accepted Anne McCaffrey as the last word on all things Dragon!

i believe they should start with Dragonflight. come on, the whole series started with this one book, so obviously, the movies should do the same. It's fool proof, and yes i am a fan of the white dragon(it was my first read).

While I like all the Pern books that have been mentioned and I do feel they mad the right choice with DragonFlight. I also know about the movie deal that if all goes well will be released in 2011. I still think the Freedom series would make a good movie.

Sure, and if it goes as expected, 2015, and if it goes as things have before, reshelved for another decade or so.

Let's not forget the Killishandra Rees stories as well - much more science-fiction in feel, with a good-looking female protaganist, a strong story and lots of opportunities for dramatic CGI work.

Cheryl said:
And the basis of the Ship Who Sang books would be great for a tv series

Yes, very episodic, with lots of opportunities to "to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations....":p

The question would be, though, is the novelty of a brainship be enough to stop it being accused of being just another ST rip-off?

actually, it would be more thought of as a Charlie's angel's, with ST overtones ripoff...... just need the still shot of a speaker with a voice to finish the image.

Or maybe Andromeda without Rommy's avatars...