Hogfather part 1

Yes they did Joel007!!

I've only read Colour of Magic & The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents aside Good Omens and I thoroughly enjoyed those books but having not read the Hogfather I thought that this TV adaptation was fantastic, I see most of you are not quite as enthusiastic as I am about it but I loved it, I Sky-plussed it and will prolly get the DVD when it comes out. I just thought it was brilliant, all the little jokes that were put in (the hourglass... out of cheese error on Hex being particularly funny) were just fab, I laughed out loud numerous times and I loved Death in Colour of Magic (the small part he played) and this made me love him even more... wonderful character and Ian Richardson's voice suited him perfectly... The "I couldn't possibly comment" line was genius (if any of you watched House of Cards you'll know).

All in all I loved it and will probably watch it again very soon.

xx

Ada, if you've only read TCOM of the Discworld books, skip a few in the writing order, and try Mort or Guards, Guards - they are far more typical of the series than TCOM, and much more developed.:)

I agree with pyan I don't think the Rincewind books are the best in the series.

I enjoyed the Hogfather, it was a good adaptation and I thought teatime and Banjo were well cast especially and the Hogswatch card was very funny

end went on too long. shoulda stopped. the whole, without hope moral thing, was nice and made sense and all, but then it felt like there was another ending tagged on the end with teatime dying. poor cute bady :(

again confused. if susan's mother was adopted by death, that means death isn't actually her grandfather, right? and her father was human? so what was her mother? was she human? where did susan get her magic from

Discworld genetics are different from here; and Mort, who I believe was Susan's father(?) had been Death's aprentice (and learnt to walk through walls and such) but it was through Ysabbel (oops, spelling? Have to reread Mort) she inherited her particular abilities (already run in in "Soul music")
You just have to accept a different genetic system, probably ignoring chromosomes and DNA and all those complicated things, and based on proximity.

ah. see i can't just accept things like that. i like things explained or to make sense. and that of course didn't come out in a tv show. so it's just confusing to me.

He's said it enough now that he probably assumes any discworld reader should pick up the way magic works and science doesn't in the books.

yeah but this was tv. not everyone who watched it would read his books. i don't. i won't eitgher. it didn't do anything for me really.

ah. see i can't just accept things like that. i like things explained or to make sense. and that of course didn't come out in a tv show. so it's just confusing to me.

And wast it not thou who wrote:-
i like fantasy because it's not got any sciencefiction ness to it. no science to worry about, no uniforms or space battles or space ships or other worlds. i find all of that rather ailen and requiring some level of understanding to how things work, or at least, the pretense that you can make it up.

you don't need that with fantasy. as long as it's consistant, it's ok. and if in doubt, well it's magical! that's how the castle is pink and can fly, magic! :p

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

i've always loved fantasy. never sci fi. i find sci fi too cold and ailen. i like dragons and fantasy creatures, swords and casltes and magic over space ships and ailens and lazer guns
pTerry is nothing if not consistent, and one may consider that the film is aimed at those who've already visited the discword, through print. Realistic? Perhaps not; but you've informed us that you can tolerate that, if the author maintains a constant position.
Mr Pratchett does not try to suspend disbelief; he builds palaces with it, and laughs at the result. It is true that his oeuvre pokes fun at traditional, more serious fantasy; but it also pokes at several other forms of literature, not to mention a wide swathe of reality. For me, if the film had maintained a constant, logical structure it would not have been true to the books, which invariably dump a perfectly lateral non-sequiteur on you just when they seem to be at their most logical and linear.

Ada, if you've only read TCOM of the Discworld books, skip a few in the writing order, and try Mort or Guards, Guards - they are far more typical of the series than TCOM, and much more developed.:)
I think that is very true. TCOM and the second book (I forget) put me off Pratchet for years. I read 'Guards, Guards' and found it much better. I've since read another I also forget (my memory needs an upgrade!) it was a thick one, but have never read 'The Hogfather'. I found this quite good. A little like the '10th Kingdom' I thought. The jokes were very subtle.

I just finished watching it :) It was a good ending, pretty much the way I imagined it in the book, which is high praise for the film-makers!
Its too bad there were so many jokes missed out, but overall lit made a good story, they managed to get it linear and not explain it too much. I loved the "anthill inside" stick, I have one on my PC now :D

Hoping for more pratchett films!

Grumbles on (as per wont)
So, my sister has recorded me the first two-hour section, but not the second half. Buggrit, buggrit, millenial shrimp and hand.
Still, I s'pose I do know how the story ends...

Grumbles on (as per wont)
So, my sister has recorded me the first two-hour section, but not the second half. Buggrit, buggrit, millenial shrimp and hand.
Still, I s'pose I do know how the story ends...

Don't worry it's being repeated over xmas, so you can get her to record the other half......;)

I have tried to watch part two three times and had it talked over all the way through every time. !&^*ing families.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Don't talk to me, especially not about Hogfather.

Hoping this doesn't spoil anything for those that haven't watched it yet. I'll leave some blank space here in case...

Two very small scenes which I don't actually recall from the book, but which were very Pratchetesque. (me not recalling is no guarantee that they aren't actually there) One is the embodiment of the whole christmas thing, the blood on snow sacrifice which TP goes to some great pains to explain in the book, which in the film is portrayed excellently when, after being helped by Susan (a very good Susan I thought) the Hogfather faces the rising sun and roars at it. (blood sacrifice to ensure the return of spring or rising of the sun)
The other scene is when Susan hurls the poker through grandfather to hit Teatime and then Death catches the blade and releases him immediately from his body.
Two of those sparse TP moments which make me shudder when I read, captured excellently on film.