Oldboy

Yes I've seen this, it's one of my favourite movies. I did something I haven't done with any other movie. I watched it on DVD, watched the commentary straight after, then went back and watched the movie again,straight after the commentary. The commentary made me aware of things I hadn't even realised were going on and made the subsequent re-viewing even more interesting. The deliberately ambiguous ending was wonderful, you have to decide for yourself who "won".

The plot outline above isn't quite right.
A man is kidnapped, held for 15 years without explanation. He is released, given a mobile phone, meets a girl. The phone rings " you have one week to find out why you were kidnapped or the girl dies".

This is one brilliant film !
If you like this movie check out the other 2 films of this vengence trillogy
Sympathy For Mr Vengence and Sympathy For Lady Vengence .
Mr S. Speilberg was after the rights to Oldboy but its all gone to the law suit stage and he`s changed his mind
Imagine Spielberg doing the Insest scene :eek:

No I Can`t either !

I Own It :) Incredible movie. Couldn't believe the ending the first time I saw it. I love "introducing" people to it and seeing their reaction at the end.

Here, here - Oldboy is the best of Park Chan-wook (and therefore among the best there is, imo), but I simply love all of his work. I never had a favourite director until I saw Oldboy and his other films, which, to date, are as follows (not counting his early short features or the stuff he's done for the anthology Three Extremes):

Joint Security Area
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
Oldboy
Lady Vengeance
I'm a Cyborg but that's Okay
Thirst

Regarding the violence in Oldboy though, Chan-wook never explicitly shows the worst of it. The suggestion alone is strong enough and arguably much more effective.

And I'm glad that the Western re-make fell through (at least, for the foreseeable future).

I saw Oldboy recently and it's a strange one. I had the odd sensation of watching a film I thought was really good, but that also made me extremely uncomfortable, more than a little sad and somewhat grubby. Though I must say, that fight scene in the corridor, when Oh Dae-Su fights all those gangsters, was quite breath-taking.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ravenus Reviews & Interviews 1
A General Film Discussion 18