How good is Stephen King as a writer?

Discussion in 'Stephen King' started by Brian G Turner, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Andrew Lambert

Andrew Lambert Well-Known Member

No my favorite author by a long way, though my daughter loves him.

2. rai

rai Well-Known Member

Well 'The Stand' is one of my top favorite books, it's not high literature but it's totally great. Right in SK's wheelhouse and mine as a reader.

I suppose it's well known that initially it was a much shorter book like 700 pages as his editor cut out a third. Later he got super popular and released the un-cut edition with like 1100 pages plus he updated to a bit more modern time.

I think it's quite hard to find the original version of The Stand now maybe some people would prefer that.

In all I've read probably half of SK books and liked some and loved others, even the worst Rose Madder or Needful Things were good once I got into them.

Pet Sematary scared the bejesus out of me.

11/22/63 was a great time travel story

The Shining and Dead Zone are off the hook good

IT probably one of my favorite books along with The Stand

His stature IMO is up there or above GRRM as SK probably has 20 movie/Tv shows to his credit

3. althea

althea Teetering on the edge.

Although many SK books are too horrible for me,I have read several of his books.I think he is a great story teller.
    I have read The Stand and think it is a timeless classic.I did enjoy Dolores Claiborne,though it was hard to read.
    I have started several SK books and given up on them because I like to sleep at night.