Inspira Group Literary Agents

roddglenn

Colonial Marine
Has anyone come across the Inspira Group Literary Agency based in London by any chance? I am in negotiations with them for them to possibly start representing me, but I just wanted to ask the question if anyone had had any dealings with them or had heard anything about them. Getting an agent is important, but getting the right agent is very important too.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rod

Thanks a lot for that, Faery - that information could prove vital. They've made no mention of fees to me yet, so I think I'll come out and ask them straight. Also, if they're not prepared to offer assistance with editing then I think its a non-starter too.

totally! i think an agent should be helping to edit to get it ready for going with a publisher. i had a friend who was always complaining about her agent being too hard with teh editing. i always thought that's what they do :)

and sorry it might be bad news :(

Yeah I'd prefer them to be too hard than too soft by a long chalk!

No probs - the search goes on! :)

Okay, I've removed some general chatter from this thread.

I've also had a call, apparently from the Inspira Group MD, asking for the thread to be removed because the flirting in the chatter could look bad on Rodd and his lovely wife.

Interesting what happens when you search for the company online:
Beware the fees of these not so special agents - Books - Times Online
Caveat Scrivener : The Inspira Group

General suggestion appears to be that the Inspira Group charges a £350 fee up front - and that authors who are taken on are commonly likely to end up published in POD and vanity press.

We've already seen it mentioned elsewhere - agents traditionally get their income from royalties earned from works being published. But because the industry is not regulated, any company can set up claiming to be a literary agent, charge a fee, and not have to actually get anything published.

I have no idea what the motivations and exact methods of the Inspira Group are - but anyone looking to get published should make a proper and thorough attempt to research the literary markets they are looking to enter, and make their own judgements accordingly.

This is an actual list of books that The Inspira Group has helped place over the last few years with traditional publishers.

So You're 70! (Summersdale) by C. Whichelow & M. Haskins (to be published in March 2008)

So You're A Grandparent! (Summersdale) by C. Whichelow & M. Haskins (to be published in March 2008)

Feng Shui Life Coach (Octopus/Godsfield) by S. Brown (to be published in March 2008)

So You're Retired! (Summersdale) by C. Whichelow & M. Haskins (to be published in March 2008)

The Death Pictures (Accent Press) by S. Hall (to be published in February 2008)

The Well-Tempered Clavier (Legend Press) by W. Coles (October 2007)

It's Not Rocket Science (Piatkus / Portrait) by C. Whichelow & H. Murray (October 2007)

They X-Rayed My Head and Found Nothing (Headline Book Publishing) by M. Haskins & C. Whichelow (October 2007)

Laugh, Cackle & Howl (Prion Books) by M. Haskins & S. Arnott (September 2007)

Peculiar Proverbs (Summersdale) by S. Arnott (September 2007)

Pupcakes (Octopus/Hamlyn) by S. Mehanna (September 2007)

Teaching English, Language and Literacy, Vol. 2 (Routledge) by Dr. D. Wyse and R. Jones (September 2007)

Broken Glass (Robert Hale) by C. W. Reed

How to Help Your Child Read and Write (Pearson Longman) by Dr. D. Wyse

So You're 40, So You're 50, So You're 60 (Summersdale) by M. Haskins & C. Whichelow

Looking Glass (Robert Hale) by C. Reed

Women’s Best Friend Is Her Money (Boxtree/Macmillan) by J. Birtles

Adam vs. Eve (Carlton Books) by P. Rogan & J. Rosenholtz

Women Leading (Palgrave/MacMillan) by S. Hayward

Sexy Football (Robson Books) by P. Gilmour

Chickwit (Prion/Carlton Book) by J. Birtles

A Bit on the Side (Piatkus) by J. Birtles

Little Book of More Abuse (Pan MacMillan) by J. Birtles

Rainbow: Climbing High (Boxtree/MacMillan) by M. Anderiesz

If they are so successful placing books and collecting commissions, what is the purpose of the £350 fee up front?

There's not a lot of variety in their authors' names.

That's the same list posted by a 1-post user over at absolute write.

As for why charge a fee. I think that's a simple question to answer. They want to make money off of authors whether they can place their work or not.

That would be my assumption, too, Havlen. But I'd like to hear their explanation anyway. I'm sure it would be ... creative.

There's not a lot of variety in their authors' names.

I didn't even notice that. Very interesting.

Summersdale apparently publishes e-books. Nothing wrong with that, but not what I would call a "traditional publisher." Possibly not the only misleading statement in Veritas's post.

Be careful with agencies. You never know who your going to get.

Seems like you did the right thing. If people react in a way you wouldn't think of as "businesslike" i always see that as bad, unless there is very good reason for it.

There are quite a few small agencies out there at the moment. I still think its worth going with a bigger agent if you can get them. Theres nothing wrong with smaller agencies, but there is if their professionalism comes into doubt quickly.

Hope you found someone new,

Dominic