Brian Lumley

McMurphy

Apostate Against the Eloi
Coffee is an addiction, black-and-white horror fil
I really like Lumley's Necroscope, but I have never read any of the following novels from his series. I have heard that the series ends on a fairly weak note. Is that true?

If not the rest of the series, would you recommend any other novels authored by him?

I read the Burrowers Beneath, simply for the fact that it dipped into HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos by centering the novel on the Cthonians.

It was fairly enjoyable at the time, but I might be a little more scathing if I read it now.

Lumley's a name I recall favourably from various horror anthologies, so I'm only familiar with his short fiction, which I like. Perhaps if Ravenus happens by, he'll know a bit more.

The Necroscope series is one of my favourite set of books, I don't think the series ends on a weak note and is quite a twist. There is a new set of E-Branch books but I am more of a Harry Keogh purist and have not really read any of them, I highly recommend reading the Vampire World trilogy after reading the original 5, the lost years books are quite good aswell. But these are definatley a series of books that are worth a read,
Also Brian Lumley dips quite considerably into the Cthuhlu Mythos for his Titus Crow Series and for most of his short stories and these are also very good, good reading..

Never heard of the Titus Crow series, I'll check that out. I loved the Necroscope series. But that House of Doors and Hall of Mazes duo....I could have done without. I know, I know, why did I bother reading the sequel, right? I guess I wanted to see if it got any better. :confused:

Hi, tis me sk1nd0g created a new account as the previous just went a bit awol on me and decided never to let me in, anyway on with the lumley.

If you are into HP Lovecraft the Titus Crow series of books are a good read, lumley also did another few books in his earlier years before necroscope called the Psychamok trilogy these are also very good, these were hard to get hold for many years but it seems they have just re-released them, so pretty good reading

I'm reading the second in the Necroscope series now, and although both were slightly slow starting, these are some of the best books I've ever read. definitely the best horror and vampire takes I've come across.

Lumley's vampires are possibly the best creatures I've ever seen created, and the battles between them are phenomenal - I've just read Thibor's backstory, the section where he broke out of Faethor Ferenczy's dungeon and took over the castle - I can't even describe how amazing that battle scene was. Visuals, emotionals, it was so intense. Can't wait to finish this and get to the Source, which I'm told is even better.

Yeah teh source introduces starside which becomes a huge part of the necroscope world, you'll love it, the best thing about lumleys Wamphryi is that there are not your usual vampire that you get in some books, they are extremely sneaky and devious and even when dead are dangerous, they can evolve and mutate and shape their bodys through their will, it is very well though out and written, still my favourite horror series, once you finish necroscope I recommend you immediately start reading the vampire world trilogy

I read the Burrowers Beneath, simply for the fact that it dipped into HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos by centering the novel on the Cthonians.

It was fairly enjoyable at the time, but I might be a little more scathing if I read it now.

Ive read that one an thought it it quite good . I's Lovecraft lite and it would portably work as tv series,

He also did a 4 book series set in the World of Kadath which, wasn't bad.

If I remember right "Necroscope" was also made into a graphic novel.
P.S. Don't forget his volumes of short stories.

If I remember right "Necroscope" was also made into a graphic novel.
P.S. Don't forget his volumes of short stories.
You are correct. The first series of 5 graphic novels by Malibu Comics were based on the events of the first book.

A second series of 5 graphic novels, also by Malibu Comics, was started for the second book (N2: Vamphyri) but it was cancelled after the first three issues.

A third series of graphic novels based on N3: The Source was also started but was cancelled after the first two issues. These were published by Caliber Comics.

All of these were published in the 1990s.