Marina Sirtis criticises Paramount

Whitestar

Recently, Marina Sirtis expressed her thoughts about the upcoming Star Trek XI movie in her website with the following quote,

"I agree with you all about the prequel, Gene Roddenberry always said that Star Trek should go forward..I just don't think anyone at Paramount gets Star Trek anymore. Yes, they are killing Trek. They're trying to reach a new 'lost' audience..they just don't get it "

If that's not dissing J.J. Abrams, I don't know what will. But what amazes me about Marina Sirtis and LeVar Burton is that they have been lambasting Nemesis and in particular, Enterprise (with good reason) and yet, they participated in Enterprise just so they can collect their checks and have the gall to criticize the show. It just goes to show you how two-faced they really are, they have no spine at all. Is it any wonder that the characters they played on TNG were the weakest? And while it may offend them, there is indeed a large demographic of people who will pay money to see the origins of Kirk and Spock, myself included, providing that the screenplay is good. And judging by Nemesis's poor performance at box office, its quite clear that the public does not want to see anymore TNG movies.

But here is the best quote from Sirtis:

"I wish I had invented Star Trek. If I'd have invented Star Trek, I'd still be on it!"

Okayyyy... She obviously has an overinflated ego with vast delusions of grandeur! She's upset because she won't be in any more TNG movies and deep down she knows that she is a talentless C actress, who was only able to get steady work on Star Trek and nowhere else. If Sirtis had any brains, she should invest in real estate, count her money, and enjoy what life has to offer her. She's nuts and a loser! :rolleyes:

P.S. Here is the link regarding her comments on Trek:

TrekWeb.com - Marina Sirtis Criticizes Star Trek XI and Paramount

I'd disagree with you over the first quote (though there's not a lot I can say about the second!). All she seems to be saying, to me, is that Paramount are trying to reach the audience who are currently watching "Lost". It doesn't say they are a good or a bad audience, just they are a large and noticeable one, whom they want a slice of. Presumably they are the right demographic too. Basically - it's the same people who might watch TNG... so they want back in and feel that sci-fi is old hat: people now want multi-genre or genre-bending, like "Lost".

Paramount are trying to reach the audience who are currently watching "Lost". It doesn't say they are a good or a bad audience, just they are a large and noticeable one, whom they want a slice of. Presumably they are the right demographic too. Basically - it's the same people who might watch TNG... so they want back in and feel that sci-fi is old hat: people now want multi-genre or genre-bending, like "Lost".
They won't capture that audience with a film about Kirk and Spock as cadets at the Academy. They aren't going to capture it with any prequel, unless it is something closer to home - maybe a post apocolyptic story set prior to the events in 'First Contact', during and just after the Third World War. Personally, I think they should do a film for the fans. There is enough of them to make money, if it is a good film. 'Nemesis' wasn't that bad, it wasn't that good. It certainly wasn't as good as Paramount wanted it to be, and not as good as the producers thought it was. I don't think that is a problem with it being a TNG film though, just the script. I do think fans want to see a DS9 continuation and a Voyager continuation and have missed that. I would like to see a film with a mixed series cast. I still want to see a 29th Century Time Ship at work. I would like a mini-series with two-hour self-contained stories featuring different important events in Trek history. But I'm probably dreaming!

She may have a point Majel Barrat (Mrs Gene Rodenberry) won't be out of the running until she croaks, and I'm still wondering why.

Marina Sirtis was never known for being brainy, so I'm not surprised by her comments. It's really not on a level any different than anything else she has said since the show started.

Despite how she seems in real life, I actually liked her character. At least I like the potential that she had. ;) Deanna Troi was a weak link in the crew, but I think that was greatly due to how she was used. She would have been much more respectable has she worn a regular uniform like everyone else, rather than being dressed to show cleavage. It also would have been better for her character if the script-writers had shown her actually using empathic abilities. She had some good episodes, but too often she just sat there and stated the obvious instead of appearing truly insightful.

I don't know how Marina Sirtis can comment to be honest - she has very little acting skill - it's obvious why they put her in Next Gen...and is wasn't for her acting skills...

Agreed, she's a terrible actress with cold facial expressions.

And on a similar subject - don't even get me started on Seven Of Nine...

LOL. Don't worry, we won't even go there! ;)

Marina Sirtis was never known for being brainy, so I'm not surprised by her comments. It's really not on a level any different than anything else she has said since the show started.

Well said, Kythe. :) She's just making these comments because she's bummed out that she doesn't have a job anymore and realizes that Star Trek will be the only place where she will ever find steady employment.

Despite how she seems in real life, I actually liked her character. At least I like the potential that she had. ;) Deanna Troi was a weak link in the crew, but I think that was greatly due to how she was used. She would have been much more respectable has she worn a regular uniform like everyone else, rather than being dressed to show cleavage. It also would have been better for her character if the script-writers had shown her actually using empathic abilities. She had some good episodes, but too often she just sat there and stated the obvious instead of appearing truly insightful.

Indeed, Troi treated us, the audience as if we were complete idiots. We were spoon-fed by her obvious comments and it was insulting to viewers. It would have been better and more believable if the writers had her stay in her office where she belongs, not on the bridge. Speaking of which, I never really liked the bridge of the Enterprise D because it looked too much like a hotel lounge with too many chairs surrounding the captain! :p

Indeed, Troi treated us, the audience as if we were complete idiots.
Well, the way the character was written treated the audience like idiots. Sirtis is a poor actress, but can't take the blame for the appalling scripting on the show.

Hehe, those were always great moments.

"I, Jartak, Klingon warlord, will crush your puny Federation and incinerate your very memory!"

Troi: "Captain, I'm sensing hostility."

(I just made that up, in case anyone's trying to place it:p)

I'm not an expert on TNG or anything, but thought her performance in most of the movies was appalling. Actually, I thought only one of them could act worth a damn. Make it so.

Was I bashing TNG?

One of the best TV series ever?

I can still be critical can't I?

Marina Sirtis and her character aboard the Enterprise were not the best part of TNG. Why did they need a Counsellor anyway? Kirk didn't need a Counsellor. DS9 didn't need a Counsellor, and there was a community with some serious issues to work through!

Hey, I love Star Trek full stop. And TNG boldly went where few had the imagination to follow. But one should not love blindly. I was just expressing the opinion that Marina Sirtis was a woeful actor, and that only one of the whole crew had a strong career before or after TNG. And I aint talking about Whoopi!

....just came back from the combined convention (Star Trek, Star Wars, and Battlestar Galactica) convention in Sacramento, California....i was surprised on how entertaining Mariana Sirtis and Jonathon Frakes are in real life...if you have not seen them....you will be surprised...i brought my wife and her friend and she is not a Star Trek Fan...but was laughing throughout....very funny stuff...Mariana really lays into herself and others....Jonathon Frakes comes out at the end and walks the crowd egging her on with a mic in his hands...also Mariana Sirtis was in Crash(have not watched it yet, but plan to) did not know this....anyway thumbs up on those two if you get a chance to see them live...i am doing a review in my podcast: Heroes of Science Fiction and Fantasy which is an itunes podcast...just go to itunes and type the title in the search bar(not sure if i am able to post the link or not so will leave it out)the review of the convention will be released after October 6th, 2007 as the 10th episode....again i am a huge Captain Kirk fan(....but these two are really worth the time)...

She may have a point Majel Barrat (Mrs Gene Rodenberry) won't be out of the running until she croaks, and I'm still wondering why.

I can think of two reasons.

1)Majel Barret was the computer's throaty voice in various ST instalments, a sort of traditional signature.

2)She was the First officer in the pilot of the Classic Trek.
The first cpt. Kirk was ditched. The role was given to William Shatner, because he was more physical and emotional than the first actor was.
She, Makel Barret, was promoted to the job of nurse because a poll made by the Studio came back with disagreement about a woman being the second in command on a ship, be it a spaceship. We are in the USA, 1966, when this happens; in Europe, women don't walk into pubs alone and don't smoke in the street). The women in the panel were vocal about this: "Who does she think she is?"

The above is common ST lore.

Giving Barret a role is a kind of tribute, imho.

I see no evil in that.

Do you remember the DS9 episode when she and Odo get stuck in a lift?
She acts very effectively in that one, showing an unsuspected facet of her character.
And, anyway, many ST fans respect her because of who she is, and what she represents.

Last edited:
The Ace said:
Yes Giovanna, and nothing to do with the fact that she was Mrs Gene Rodenberry, which somehow made up for her lack of talent.:p

.....which is why the computer voice is the ideal part for her.....;):D