Marina Sirtis criticises Paramount

....just came back from the combined convention (Star Trek, Star Wars, and Battlestar Galactica) convention in Sacramento, California....i was surprised on how entertaining Mariana Sirtis and Jonathon Frakes are in real life...if you have not seen them....you will be surprised...i brought my wife and her friend and she is not a Star Trek Fan...but was laughing throughout....very funny stuff...Mariana really lays into herself and others....Jonathon Frakes comes out at the end and walks the crowd egging her on with a mic in his hands...also Mariana Sirtis was in Crash(have not watched it yet, but plan to) did not know this....anyway thumbs up on those two if you get a chance to see them live...i am doing a review in my podcast: Heroes of Science Fiction and Fantasy which is an itunes podcast...just go to itunes and type the title in the search bar(not sure if i am able to post the link or not so will leave it out)the review of the convention will be released after October 6th, 2007 as the 10th episode....again i am a huge Captain Kirk fan(....but these two are really worth the time)...

Actually, I met Jonathan Frakes at a Star Trek convention in Florida many years ago. It was my very first one and he is definitely very entertaining. The whole place was packed I was standing way out in the back and it was kind of hard to see him with everyone crowded together. He doesn't do autographs because if he does one, it wouldn't be fair to everyone else, hence, the reason why he doesn't do it. It just goes to show you what a classy guy he is. Plus, he's very much an underated actor, unlike Sirtis. Check out TNG episode, "Frame of Mind" and you'll see what I mean. That particular episode is Frake's best moment in TNG.

Jonathan Frakes...He doesn't do autographs because if he does one, it wouldn't be fair to everyone else, hence, the reason why he doesn't do it. It just goes to show you what a classy guy he is.

The first and only time I've ever (and I assume...will ever) hear someone praise a celebrity for...not giving autographs.

What the................. :confused:

The first cpt. Kirk was ditched. The role was given to William Shatner, because he was more physical and emotional than the first actor was.
Just a small correction Jeffery Hunter was not ditched he declined the role in the second pilot as he wanted to concentrate on movie roles.

Indeed, and to bring it back to TNG, Picard means "he who holds the pike" so the very captain's name is a tribute to the little-known Christopher Pike of the pilot.

I can't really comment on MS' skills as an actor, since she never got a very complex character to play. However, the risk is very real in the new movie that by trying too much to attract a new audience they'll only alienate long-term fans of the show. Paramount tends to think that it doesn't matter what Trek crap they produce, the audiences will flock to theaters anyway. I suspect that in some cases it might be true, so I guess they have a point.

I think Whoopi Goldberg would have made a far better counsellor and she was positioned in a place where everyone talked, there were quite a few episodes where she seemed to know more than she was letting on and she seemed to have quite an intelligent character. Marina Sirtis's character I feel was quite weak and just there for the eye candy.

Re: Marina Sirtis is not nuts !

Marina isa very nice lady .. I know Ive met her :D
And when I get past 15 posts I`ll post a pic of me and Marina :D

Right .
Iv`e enough posts now , so here as promised from above .
Me and Troi !
She knew I was going to say that !

003-1.jpg

Re: Marina Sirtis

...does anyone around here have anything good to say....tired of the bashing....tng has a huge fan base....and that is always for a reason....enough said ...lets turn it to the positive...

I do. Pretty much all the Star Trek actors like to be included in potential film projects. It's odd to me that Mirina Sirtis is singled out here as being a bad person just because she probably wanted to do more Star Trek movies and remembers how much the fans loved the cast of her show. William Shatner has pretty much expressed the same attitude by refusing to be part of the reboot when a small role was offered to him.
Upon hearing that a studio wants to "reboot" a major property, a lot of the FANS are usually skeptical. If you are one of the actors that has been involved in the franchise and you suddenly find you're not wanted for future movies, well, that's not exactly good news for you either. So why wouldn't she be downbeat about a Star Trek reboot with virtually no information on it other than Abrams wasn't familiar with the show and wanted to make it more exciting like Star Wars (and he didn't want you in it)?
Heck, I was skeptical and if I were in her shoes I might be none to happy either.
Counselor Troi brought a nice touch to the Next Generation. There were a lot of guys on the show, and when they killed of Tasha, they had just two regular female cast members and I was happy to tune in and see her there. The episode where she and her mom are kidnapped by Ferengi is obviously a really good episode. I think she did a fine job with the material she was provided. Remember, as politically correct as TNG was, it still had to play to the demographics of 1987 male viewers. This was before Xena, before Buffy, before Seven of Nine. The female cast members had to fit Gene Roddenberry's vision of female characters but lets face it...as much as Star Trek is about equality the women didn't get many juicy parts under Gene's guidance.
So it was nice just to have a feminine presence on the show.
But part of the reason Next Generation is still good is because of all the cast members, Mirina Sirtis included. :)

Last edited:
Re: Marina Sirtis

Well, the way the character was written treated the audience like idiots. Sirtis is a poor actress, but can't take the blame for the appalling scripting on the show.

Was I bashing TNG?

One of the best TV series ever?

I can still be critical can't I?

Marina Sirtis and her character aboard the Enterprise were not the best part of TNG. Why did they need a Counsellor anyway? Kirk didn't need a Counsellor. DS9 didn't need a Counsellor, and there was a community with some serious issues to work through!

The reason why Roddenberry included a counselor in TNG was because therapy was very popular during the 1980s, so he created Troi to keep up with the times. But Ron Moore has said that including a counselor on the bridge was very embarrassing and one of the worse decisions Roddenbberry has ever made. I understand the need for a ship's counselor to help the crew deal with being in space and their problems, but she should have remained stationed in her office, not the bridge.

Hey, I love Star Trek full stop. And TNG boldly went where few had the imagination to follow. But one should not love blindly. I was just expressing the opinion that Marina Sirtis was a woeful actor, and that only one of the whole crew had a strong career before or after TNG. And I aint talking about Whoopi!

Agreed, Sirtis can't act her way out of a bag! :D

I do. Pretty much all the Star Trek actors like to be included in potential film projects. It's odd to me that Mirina Sirtis is singled out here as being a bad person just because she probably wanted to do more Star Trek movies and remembers how much the fans loved the cast of her show. William Shatner has pretty much expressed the same attitude by refusing to be part of the reboot when a small role was offered to him.
Upon hearing that a studio wants to "reboot" a major property, a lot of the FANS are usually skeptical. If you are one of the actors that has been involved in the franchise and you suddenly find you're not wanted for future movies, well, that's not exactly good news for you either. So why wouldn't she be downbeat about a Star Trek reboot with virtually no information on it other than Abrams wasn't familiar with the show and wanted to make it more exciting like Star Wars (and he didn't want you in it)?
Heck, I was skeptical and if I were in her shoes I might be none to happy either.
Counselor Troi brought a nice touch to the Next Generation. There were a lot of guys on the show, and when they killed of Tasha, they had just two regular female cast members and I was happy to tune in and see her there. The episode where she and her mom are kidnapped by Ferengi is obviously a really good episode. I think she did a fine job with the material she was provided. Remember, as politically correct as TNG was, it still had to play to the demographics of 1987 male viewers. This was before Xena, before Buffy, before Seven of Nine. The female cast members had to fit Gene Roddenberry's vision of female characters but lets face it...as much as Star Trek is about equality the women didn't get many juicy parts under Gene's guidance.
So it was nice just to have a feminine presence on the show.
But part of the reason Next Generation is still good is because of all the cast members, Mirina Sirtis included. :)

Just for the record, I want to make it clear that I don't think Sirtis is a bad person and since the time I've posted in the title's thread that she is nuts and a loser, I will admit that I may have been a bit harsh and I've cooled off since that time. Now, I've seen her at interviews and she really does seem like a very nice and sincere person, although sometimes she pretends to act like she's hip when she said the word "dude" when describing the Wesley Crusher character as "the computer nerd dude", but it was her character that I hated. Seriously, what is her character's appeal?

Recently, Marina Sirtis expressed her thoughts about the upcoming Star Trek XI movie in her website with the following quote,

"I agree with you all about the prequel, Gene Roddenberry always said that Star Trek should go forward..I just don't think anyone at Paramount gets Star Trek anymore. Yes, they are killing Trek. They're trying to reach a new 'lost' audience..they just don't get it "

If that's not dissing J.J. Abrams, I don't know what will. But what amazes me about Marina Sirtis and LeVar Burton is that they have been lambasting Nemesis and in particular, Enterprise (with good reason) and yet, they participated in Enterprise just so they can collect their checks and have the gall to criticize the show. It just goes to show you how two-faced they really are, they have no spine at all. Is it any wonder that the characters they played on TNG were the weakest? And while it may offend them, there is indeed a large demographic of people who will pay money to see the origins of Kirk and Spock, myself included, providing that the screenplay is good. And judging by Nemesis's poor performance at box office, its quite clear that the public does not want to see anymore TNG movies.

But here is the best quote from Sirtis:

"I wish I had invented Star Trek. If I'd have invented Star Trek, I'd still be on it!"

Okayyyy... She obviously has an overinflated ego with vast delusions of grandeur! She's upset because she won't be in any more TNG movies and deep down she knows that she is a talentless C actress, who was only able to get steady work on Star Trek and nowhere else. If Sirtis had any brains, she should invest in real estate, count her money, and enjoy what life has to offer her. She's nuts and a loser! :rolleyes:

P.S. Here is the link regarding her comments on Trek: ...

It's a shame they didn't listen to her. Her comments about the 11th movie are spot-on. It's by far the worst Star Trek movie ever made, even worse than Star Trek V. Star Trek V was poorly done with a silly and unbelievable plot, but at least it was a Star Trek movie. Star Trek XI had none of Roddenberry's original vision whatsoever. The characters are reduced to caricatures in a shoot'em up with no soul. Here's a review that captures what's wrong with that dreadful imitation of Star Trek perfectly:

[Edit: I'm not able to post links. Search on Amazon for the review titled "Why This Film is a Big Fat Lie".]

Star Trek XI should have never been made. Maybe Marina did diss JJ Abrams. Good. He deserves it.

It's a shame they didn't listen to her. Her comments about the 11th movie are spot-on. It's by far the worst Star Trek movie ever made, even worse than Star Trek V. Star Trek V was poorly done with a silly and unbelievable plot, but at least it was a Star Trek movie. Star Trek XI had none of Roddenberry's original vision whatsoever.
Sadly, you are correct. They still aren't listening to her because there is another prequel-sequel in the works. This one won't have Leonard Nimoy (as he was left behind on some alternative reality planet) but will feature William Shatner (no doubt with his corset and walking frame - just as long as he doesn't sing.)

The chances of a TNG/DS9 film are now almost zero. And that was what the fans wanted.

Sadly, you are correct. They still aren't listening to her because there is another prequel-sequel in the works. This one won't have Leonard Nimoy (as he was left behind on some alternative reality planet) but will feature William Shatner (no doubt with his corset and walking frame - just as long as he doesn't sing.)

The chances of a TNG/DS9 film are now almost zero. And that was what the fans wanted.

Yes, it was. It's a shame that they refused to listen to the fans. I would have loved to have seen Avery Brooks in a Trek movie. He did an outstanding job as Sisko on DS9. Trek movies I would love to see are:

• The TNG/DS9 one you mentioned
  • An all-Klingon Trek movie, starring Worf
  • A Trek movie with 7 of 9 as the main character, including many Voyager characters
  • A Trek movie with all new characters and a new ship
Sadly, Star Trek may be over. I refuse to consider any Abrams movie to be a Star Trek movie.

Well it has been some time since I watched that final star trek movie and the memories I have of it are: What's up with the phasers? What's up with the ineffective shields? There's Simon Pegg! Where's Nick Frost?

We won't get another TNG movie because the last two tanked as hard as a North Korean rocket. Plus, there was also the matter of their stories being three shades of terrible.

I am a TNG disciple. My cardboard cutout of Captain Picard sits in a corner of my room. I am Nerd. Yet Star Trek was in need of a reshuffle after the foibles of Berman and Braga sunk Enterprise and gave us Insurrection and Nemesis. We should have gotten a good ol' fashioned Trek movie like Star Trek IV. Instead we got "Star Trek" with JJ Cloverfield.

what Star Trek needs is a writer/director who understands Star Trek and can produce a Star Trek movie/series with the spirit that TOS and TNG had. i enjoyed DS9 and Voyager a lot (i'm not an Enterprise fan, but i haven't seen a lot, what i did see did not impress me), but the Roddenberry philosophy and ideal that was the spirit of Trek was seen brightest in TOS and TNG. go forward not backwards. no captain worf series (no michael dorn that will not work), no alternate world where it seems every old actor is bound to make a cameo, just straight up trek, seeking new life forms, exploring the galaxy, solving problems, addressing current social issues in a future setting and going where no one has gone before.

this will sound like an odd choice but from interviews i've read on possible people to be bought in to take over Trek, Seth McFarlen the creator of Family Guy is the best. he gets Trek, he is a fan and he can write. beats JJ!

Marina Sirtis and her character aboard the Enterprise were not the best part of TNG. Why did they need a Counsellor anyway? Kirk didn't need a Counsellor. DS9 didn't need a Counsellor, and there was a community with some serious issues to work through!

DS9 did have a Counsellor- Ezri Dax.

Sure, she was only in it for the final season, and she isn't even fully qualified for the job and gets called out on that fact, but she was there.

Last edited:
LIke captain kirk i like the charector regardles what the actor is like in real life.

We won't get another TNG movie because the last two tanked as hard as a North Korean rocket. Plus, there was also the matter of their stories being three shades of terrible.

I am a TNG disciple. My cardboard cutout of Captain Picard sits in a corner of my room. I am Nerd. Yet Star Trek was in need of a reshuffle after the foibles of Berman and Braga sunk Enterprise and gave us Insurrection and Nemesis. We should have gotten a good ol' fashioned Trek movie like Star Trek IV. Instead we got "Star Trek" with JJ Cloverfield.

The only next generation film that was any good was First Contact, The rest were little more then big budget tv episodes.

Dennis Crosby may of had more to do if the deana troi was not crowding the scenes.