1.07: Greeks Bearing Gifts

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
1.07: Greeks Bearing Gifts

Faced with sudden telepathic abilities, Toshiko finds a mixed blessing when the dark secrets of others are revealed to her.

Toshiko is given a pendant.

The team ponders over a centuries-old skeleton.
Cardiff, 1812. A prostitute named Mary and an English soldier go into the woods. He slaps her and she scratches his face in retaliation. Mary runs deeper into the woods, until she hears a high-pitched sound accompanied by a glowing light ahead. When the soldier, flintlock pistol drawn, catches up to her, she turns to smile at him. He raises his pistol and fires. Nearly two centuries later, the Torchwood team arrive at a construction site and go inside a tent, unaware that Mary, dressed in contemporary clothes and looking not a day older, is just beyond a barrier, watching…

They are still developing the Gwen and Owen thing, and show that Tosh either had a crush or a previous relationship with Owen.

This episode was better than some of the others, but Torchwood is just not what I expected or wanted it to be. I will probably watch the rest of the series to see how it shapes up, but I'm no longer worried about missing one.

She was in love with him.
Yes, I'm afraid I agree. I want to know more about Jack, and whats going on there, but but this show... It could be worse but it could be better.

I thought this episode was one of the worst of the series so far. I am normally the one who jumps to the defence of Torchwood. I say stuff like "Let it find it's feet" and "It'll get better in time - all shows do".

I was embarassed watching the piss poor acting ability of the woman who plays Tosh. I hope there are no more Tosh-centered episodes this season. She is much better as a background actress with the odd line here and there. The story was such a brilliant idea but told in a dull, obvious and shallow manner. This could have been such a deep, emotional episode if it had been written and directed better.

Having said all that - next week's episode looks good. The return of Suzie.

What was the deal with that glove anyway?

Beware Geeks bearing gifts...

"Hey look like, maybe I shoulda got you like flowers but You'll totally love 'Atom Blaster Four: Revenge of Nedry', it's totally sick and awesome....Britney?...BRITNEY?"

I rather liked this episode. I think the last 3 episodes have strengthened my opinion of the show.

I liked this one because of the foreboding undertone - i.e. The harsh reality being painted that human beings, in fact, pretty much all life is basically self centered with no real altruism. Makes for some interesting drama later on I'm sure. It has a more cynical outlook than Dr Who, which I think I like.

Plus the ominous clues concerning Jack's condition was good too.

Oh, and a transparent ethereal alien... cool.:D

As Ian8781 was said, I suppose the acting could have been better, but it didn't really distract me and I've seen much worse.

I think that if they want it to continue as long as Dr Who, then they've really got to get to grips with it. I didn't like last week's episode because it was more horror than sci-fi. But this one, although more SF, was boring! Sorry but unless it improves I don't think a second series would be worthwhile.

Sorry but unless it improves I don't think a second series would be worthwhile.
I agree, it needs to improve a lot and it needs to improve quickly, as regards to the stories and acting.
As regards to the season long plot threads such as Jack:
the ominous clues concerning Jack's condition was good too.
Very clever the way they have done this with Jack. We thought we knew Jack because we saw him in Dr Who, but we don't know him at all. Finding out about Jack is the main reason I'm still watching

Absolute poo. Always watch the Wednesday repeat as Sunday's is too late for convenience. And this week I missed the repeat! Doh! Will have to try a second repeat... which is likely - sometime on BBC4 probably, even later on Friday or Saturday?

Let me just start by saying sorry.
I know I said I was out of the Torchwood discussion. I know I said I was gone. But against my better judgment I sat down to watch this episode like night and I have to post this or my head is going to explode. This is therapy for me. Please feel free to scroll to the next post and ignore what follows because what follows is not nice or pretty.

SPOILERS FOLLOW!

I know that quite a few posts here have ridiculed the moronic behavior of Gwen (or DumKop as she has been quite rightly christened.) Gwen has a real ability to act like an utter moron, and quite why Jack keeps her on the team is an utter mystery to me

But in just one episode Tosh has scored more “low-watt bulb”points than in
all the other Gwen episodes put together. Indeed, the entire plot is only possible because Tosh acts like a brain damaged fool at every turn. And Tosh doesn’t even have the flimsy excuse of being “new.”

Tosh (or Tech-Twit as she shall be referred to henceforth) is sitting in a bar, a member of an ultra covert anti-alien black ops unit. A stranger sits down next to her. Fair enough. They chat. The stranger suddenly reveals that she knows Tech-Twit works for an elite black ops unit! Gasp! Security is breeched. Protocol violated! What does this black-ops agent do? Does she arrest the stranger? Interrogate her to find the breech? Even flee the bar fearing a set-up or trap?
No.
She gets drunk with the stranger and starts to talk about her work in Torchwood.

???????????????????

Not only that. Not only does Tech-Twit make a total drunken mockery of the official secrets act, she THEN accepts a dangerous alien gift from Obviously Evil Stranger (seriously, that acting could hardly have been less subtle if Squid Woman had the words “Bad news” stamped into her forehead. Or on her ass. Yes, her ass. Or Boobs. That would be more consistent with the Torchwood writing ethic) and THEN goes to BED with obviously evil stranger.

Words fail me.

BUT! Tec-Twit has not finished! She has only just begun to bungle! Apparently, Obviously Evil Squid Sexpot needs the ship that Torchwood have dug up. They also dug up a violently murdered corpse but apparently Tech-Twit is dumb enough not to think that maybe Evil Squid Sexpot might possibly have had a teensy bit to do with it (most of the viewers have figured this out and are throwing chairs at the screen).

So after a quick bit of flimsy emotional blackmail Tech-Twit takes Evil Squid Sexpot INTO HER BLACK OPS HEADQUATERS!

Disaster is averted by Captain Jack. As per usual.

So what happens? Is Tech-Twit hurled from her unit in disgrace like the clear screw-up that she is? Do her colleagues express shocked, saddened anger that she could endanger them all this way and treat it as a learning experience as she clears out her desk?
Nope.
“Ahhh Toshy Woshy was in wuv. We can’t judge.”

And what about Captain Jack? Well he sits beside her and aloud wonders “what would other bosses do in this situation?”
Well gee Jack, I dunno….FIRE HER USELESS ASS MAYBE?

The only possible way that this episode could have been redeemed was if Jack had spent the final five minutes pounding Tech Twit's head against her desk whilst rhythmically shouting “STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID.”

But then if he did that he wouldn’t be able to fondle her thigh in that creepy inappropriate way whilst she’s emotionally vulnerable.

Apparently the Torchwood writing ethic is that your feelings and emotions are beyond control, as are your sexual impulses, so what’s the point in trying?
And that our last, best hope of defense against alien scum would have trouble outwitting Shaggy and Scooby-Doo.

Sigh

I'm half tempted to set up a website detailing the Torchwood Staffs Greatest Gaffs, and work out which one of the team is the least competent, but I don't have the time, energy or webspace. Suffice in saying, this is just beyond a joke.

Okay, NOW I'm outta here...(fingers crossed) ;)

Last edited:
The only possible way that this episode could have been redeemed was if Jack had spent the final five minutes pounding Tech Twit's head against her desk whilst rhythmically shouting “STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID.”

But then if he did that he wouldn’t be able to fondle her thigh in that creepy inappropriate way whilst she’s emotionally vulnerable.

Apparently the Torchwood writing ethic is that your feelings and emotions are beyond control, as are your sexual impulses, so what’s the point in trying?
And that our last, best hope of defense against alien scum would have trouble outwitting Shaggy and Scooby-Doo.

That made me laugh. Pretty much sums up my problems with the series. I think Shaggy and Scooby might come out on top in a match-up against the Torchwood team, though - their only weaknesses, after all, are Scooby snacks and a lack of smarts. That's nothing compared to the rich and varied array of ineptitudes the Torchwood crew display every week. Apart from anything else, Jack et al would be too busy scanning their immediate surroundings in search of someone/something inappropriate to snog to offer much in the way of resistance.

It does seem that Mr. Davies has given the blueprint that every couple of episodes have to involve at least one member of the team sleeping with someone/something else. They appear to be trying to re-inforce the fact that the team is 'omni-sexual'. Did Jack choose the team based on their willingness to put out at the first hint of a quickie?

I know it's meant to be more adult than Dr. Who, but taking some sci-fi and adding sex into the mix does not make it good. It could be a lot deeper than a lot of the superficial twaddle and plot-holes you could fit a Dalek invasion fleet through.

The episode could have been about 30mins shorter if the writers had given any of the characters, save Jack, an ounce of common sense! This was about as disappointing as last weeks episode.

You aren't allowed to advertise on here. Also, this is a thread full of people badmouthing Torchwood. Use some common sense.
Oh and same to the Torchwood people.

Oh good I wasn't the only one who found that creepy. Really. It gave me the creeping wiggins. Much scarier than Jack in Countrycide when he was trying to convince that guy that he would torture him.

My main thought in this episode was that Tosh needs counselling for her "validation issues", as Dr Phil would say.
If I was her I wouldn't have apologised to Owen and Gwen. They treated her like it was "Make Tosh Feel Excluded" week!:mad:

My favourite bit was Ianto's eyebrow raise when Mary was talking about how much she loved her human body.:cool:

Is killing people's lovers Jack's favourite hobby or what? First Ianto's cyber girlfriend and now this?:eek:

Countrycide was a hard act to follow, and I don't think Greeks Bearing Gifts really lived up to it. Not bad, interesting concept, but I'd choose Countrycide over it.

I think I'll talk a bit about Tosh, with my super, looking-into-the-future knowledge. :rolleyes: :p

*SPOLIERS FROM SERIES 1 & 2*

Tosh and Owen is by no means a new development for Series 2. It first reared it's head (or at least, that's when I first noticed it) in Countrycide, with Tosh offering to help Owen with the tent, Owen saying "No" in more harsh terms, and Tosh turning away looking sad. In this episode, we saw evidence in Tosh's pad of a crush on Owen:

- Pictures everywhere of her and Owen, with one on the fridge of the Torchwood team (I think it was) in which she and Owen is highlighted.
- A birthday card on her bedside table, long past her birthday, from Owen.

Two examples of people who've questioned Tosh and Owen in Series 2 (just so I can prove them wrong! :p):

Dave in the "2.08: A Day in the Death" thread said:
I've no idea how Tosh can change her loves and emotions on and off on a weekly basis.

In 2.08, Tosh goes around to Owen's to keep him company.

Mary Hoffman in the "2.04: Meat" thread said:
I can't bear Tosh dreeping about after Owen

My memory of the episode is hazy, but I think Owen left her a cuddly toy, or she him, and there was a bit of interaction.

:)

To summarise - Tosh and Owen shouldn't be anything new in Series 2.

---

As for Toshiko "Tech-Twit" Sato spilling the beans to an "Obviously Evil Stranger"... think back to what Gwen said at the end of Countrycide, particularly:

Gwen to Owen said:
All these things... all these things, they're changing me... changing how I see the world... and I can't share them with anyone.

How do you think Tosh feels? She even tells our OES that all these things she finds (quoting the example of a letter from an alien to his children, an unimaginable distance away) mean nothing to the people she works with. She can't discuss things with anyone, yet here is someone who knows about Torchwood, and who actually cares... well, gives the impression of caring. Sure, alarm bells should be ringing, but three years of not being able to say anything would take it's toll on anyone.

And just a comment on the three years - Mary, when she's revealing that she knows about Tosh, says that Tosh has been working for Torchwood for three years. The backstory thought pops into my head again - the fragments from 2.12 confirm this.

I never said Tosh and Owen was a new development in Season 2, I said "I've no idea how Tosh can change her loves and emotions on and off on a weekly basis." Without spoiling other episodes, she has a series of lovers and men she is sweet on, she picks up aliens in bars, has been in love with a man for one day a year since she joined Torchwood, and she blows hot and cold over Owen all at the same time.

The impression I've got when I've been reading comments on Series 2 episodes is that Tosh and Owen seems to be new for some people. Heck, I didn't remember the Series 1 crush until I watched the episodes again. The impression I got from your comment was that you were surprised that Tosh changed from having a crush on the frozen fella to having a crush on Owen.