SoST Round Two: Khal Drogo vs Ned Stark

vote for the winner

• Khal Drogo

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Ned Stark

Votes: 18 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Khal Drogo is probably a fearsome sight atop a horse with his bloodriders screaming behind him and charging you down, but would be out of his element in a tournament style area, especially unarmored(as is his fashion) against armored opponents. We don't know much about Ned's fighting ability except that he was one of 2 who survived the tower of joy fight, which says something about him, considering the opponents.

I see the Khal using his dragonbone bow to put an arrow through the Hand's visor slit. And if not, well, I think Drogo is faster than Oberyn and more ruthless than Bronn.

Drogo's hair was never cut.

Ned, we hardly knew ye.

Khal Drogo would whoop Ned's frozen arse,that is if Ned could manage to not get himself killed before the fight began.

IIRC in one of the Sansa chapter, she remembered that Lyn Cobray could beat both her dad and ser Rodrik easily, so Ned couldn't be a very good fighter.

Still, I will vote for him all the way :D.

to horse or not to horse that is the question

ned would never give his kingdom for a horse

sorry Khal not only did you not survive the first book you failed the second round (Your consolation prize... Ned died first)

OMG!! my edit comment : So everyone is keen on Robert but who took Jaime off the throne and who walked out of the tower of Joy?

Jon Stark , hehe , Ygritte left a message on your answering machine :D

How can Ned be winning, he has never been discriped as a great warrior, and the one fight we truly see in him (except off also breaking his leg in front of jaime) is one against the kiingsguard wich he almost loses with 7 against 3.

Drogo was awesome, and i am sure they know a thing called armor, they are a people of warriors after all.

How can Ned be winning, he has never been discriped as a great warrior, and the one fight we truly see in him (except off also breaking his leg in front of jaime) is one against the kiingsguard wich he almost loses with 7 against 3.

Even Souths* win some of the time.

(*insert name of hopeless local sporting team)

They seemed pretty surprised when Mormont donned his. One warrior society is not like another.

Exactly. The only reference to dothraki armour is copper discs sewn onto the horsehide leather they wear... hardly protective. Aren't the Araks of the dothraki like scimitars? They would be almost useless against chainmail and practically useless against plate - tho i only imagine Ned wearing chain - as most northmen aren't knights.

hmm

I dont think I would have taken Ned over the other challengers in this round but I'll break my reasoning down a bit here why I think he could become victorious over Mr. Drogo.

First what has been talked about the most in the thread is the fighting style and equipment differences. If both men are on the ground in a duel or trial by combat situation I think it goes to Ned's favor in this regard. Ned has better armor, and paticularily considering that Khal is using a curved blade. Mail and plate are strong against slashing attacks but not great against piercing, and a curved blade seems to be more of a slashing weapon. (Again along with bow ideal for mounted warfare). Ice would have no problem getting through a leather vest with copper disks. However the case for Khal in this circumstance, would be if he took the tactic that Bronn used in Tyrion's first trial by combat, dance about and tire the more heavily armored fighter.

If both men were ahorse, I'd undoubtedly need to go with Khal, for I think ahorse Khal would be a match for any rider in Westeros (imagine a full feild and Khal on one end and a Jaime or Loras on the other).

Secondly, historical prowess. Khal's braid states he has never lost, and he commands the largest Khalasar (sp?). Ned Survived the War with the Targaryen, The Tower of Joy and the Uprising of the Iron Isles so he never "lost" so to speak. Ned was also the Lord of the largest (albeit least populated) of the 7 kingdoms. His kingdom had the usual riffraff plus wildings, deserting crows and folk like Shagga. So to me in this regard, they are very similar, neither one quite gets the favor.

Clearly Ned dies after breaking his leg and being taken into custody and the unfortunate removal of his head. Khal would have none of this, Khal I do not believe would serve another King. (This is the Cultural side, as opposed to the afformentioned Technology side between the two men). However, Khal did die of injuries sustained on a raid of the Lamb men (shepards? not the most impressive death in the series IMHO.) I have to give the edge here to Khal. (Shepards!!)

Unfortunately both men had to be dispatched in the first book, so other than reputation we get to see neither of them really fight, unlike many of the other participants in Wiggum's tourney. Obviously Ned lives, No war in Westeros, Khal, likewise, no dragons.

But in the end I had to take Valyrian Steel, Chain and Discipline over an Arakh , Strength and Savagery. I believe the warring strategies of Westeros favor one to one combat over the raid and pillage tactics of Dothraki.

Edit: Assuming Ned and Jaime win this round (which looks likely) This may be Ned's last hurrah. Next round he draws one of the following:Victarion, Arthur Dayne, Sandor, Bronn, Syrio, Barristan or Jaime. He seems greatly out of place in that group.

Last edited:
Dont care about the results of this one. Ned got lucky, most of the subsequent opponents he may face are as popular with better martial skills. Ned is undeservedly moving on...but its gonna get brutal from here on out.

Not sure how Ned is winning. Ill just flip a coin for the rest of the rounds...or just not bother.....