vote for the winner

• Oberyn Martel

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Jaime Lannister

Votes: 17 85.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hmmm..
Does the Red Viper duel like he did with the mountain.....

This could have easily been the final

You know, I honestly think Jaime would get toasted.

Nicely toasted.

Wow, this is a tough one. I debated with myself for a while and finally decided that Jaime would probably be victorious. I figure that if he gets inside the red vipers spear then he has him. The spear, which created the edge the viper needed against the mountain would not be as much help against a faster opponent in Jaime. He just wouldn't be able to circle him and pick at him the way he did the mountain. Jaime on the other hand would only need to get inside the spear once and martell would be done. This would be one hell of a fight to see though.

it would be a great final. I chose Oberyn. Although the spear is a reach weapon, swords generally are too for most people. Daggers are a close up weapon. The red snake's experience would win the day. He knows his spear, he knows his venom - which would work MUCH faster on the smaller faster Jaime than on the Mountain. jaime's speed would be his undoing. The faster he moves the more the venom would affect him. The Red Snake is also a very fast warrior. As fast as or moreso than Jaime due to his lighter armour compared to Jaime's gold plates...

went red viper vs golden hand
ok and now knowing the dialogue in the vipers duel may i add:

"you schtuped her, she was your sister, you shared a womb, say her name!"

Last edited:
I went for Jaime. I think he's just the better warrior. The Viper is too hot-headed and if Jaime let him come on to him and defended for a while, I reckon he'd lose his cool and get himself killed.
Plus his spear is two-handed and Jaime can use a sword & a shield. Use shield to block spear, then smack opponent in the face with sword while he's overcommitted.

Of course a one-handed Jaime would get slaughtered in about 10 seconds :)

I have a hard time believing that Jaime would have been willing to take on The Mountain.

While the Viper, for all intents and purposes, slew Gregor hand to hand.

yeah but the Viper wasn't entirely sane. If the Mountain had killed Cersei and somehow got away with it (0_o) then Jaime would have done what the Viper had done.

I used to go to longsword lessons and had many talks with my instructors regarding which weopens were good against what, and the spear is only strong when you have an entire phalanx of them. One cut from the long sword and the spear becomes a big stick.

Kiwibird....agreed, with the red viper even if you win , you lose. Hard to defeat a poisoned blade (regardless of length of steel and hilt), all he has to do is knick you.

Why do we assume the Viper would use a spear against Jaime? As I recollect things (and this was my favorite scene in the series) Tyrion was incredulous that the Viper was using a spear and Oberyn responded with something about countering the Mountains reach.

Oberyn is the most coldly calculating player in this tournament. He would adjust to Jaimes strengths and Jaime would be too arrogant to do likewise. That is all.....

I agree, this could be the final!

and what a fight it would be, i'd pay a lot for front-row tickets!
I was too late to vote, but i'd go for Jaime, even though the Vyper is one of my favourite characters. A sword when used adeptly, is a lot better than a spear wielded by a master.

Jaime takes this. Oberyn's stile is exotic, but it mostly works on opponents with overwhelming strength who relay solely on it. Jamie is strong, but he is also pretty agile and relies on skill more than on brute strength.

Though, he will probably end up poisoned and die later. Still a win though.

Too late to vote but I have to give this to Jaime as well. Like Latro said, there is no reason why Oberyn would choose a spear againgst Jaime, but I think even sword to sword, Jaime would have him.

Oberyn seems like he is skilled with a variety of weapons, but that could mean he is a "jack of all trades but master of none" so to speak. Jaime on the other hand is a sword master. He is also incredibly fast, as Jory learned to his dismay in the show.

Who would win Arther Dayne or Howland Reed? Robert Bartheon or Rhaegar Targaryen?

It seems to me all the elite warriors would be very dangerous weaponS masters. How can anyone be so sure Jaime would win? Rhaegar winner of many tournaments killed by Robert. Arther Dane greatest sword master of all time killed by Howland Reed(?). I found this thread very puzzling.