Query on the Liveship Traders

johnnyboy41

Just in the middle of reading Assassins Quest and throughly enjoying the series..

So the question... should I skip The Liveship Traders and go straight to the Tawny Man trilogy .... would I miss anything out of fitz... would it be better to read the liveship traders then the tawny man... would I miss out on anything other than a good read..

Okay so I guess I'm stating this a little back the front.. what I mean is does fitz and his situation have anything to do with the liveship traders or is it just a different set of people?

thanks.. and I am utterly lost in this magical world that she has created..

I know how tempting it is to skip things so as to get on with what you are excited about but the Liveship Traders will have exactly the same effect on you. Like nixie I would encourage you to read what Hobb has written in chronological order - you will see why after you've done that. Happy reading. I thoroughly enjoyed all her books.

Oh - and welcome to the Chronics johnnyboy

I skipped the Liveship Traders and went straight on to Tawny Man. But only because I didn't think I'd like a book about ships! Then when I had nothing else to read I got the Liveship Traders and read that and I love it!! Knowing what I know from reading the Tawny Man first, it's interesting to go back and read the Liveship Traders and seeing how it all links up. Though when I was reading Liveship I went back to the Tawny Man to check out a couple of things that the characters were referring to!

I read Liveship Traders first, and I'm glad I did. It gives you a thorough idea of their society, which is beneficial especially for the Tawny Man Trilogy.
The nice thing about it was that I could then read Assasin's Quest and Tawny Man in succession, as they are more closely related.

I know how tempting it is to skip things so as to get on with what you are excited about but the Liveship Traders will have exactly the same effect on you. Like nixie I would encourage you to read what Hobb has written in chronological order - you will see why after you've done that. Happy reading. I thoroughly enjoyed all her books.

Oh - and welcome to the Chronics johnnyboy

Many thanks.. :-D I think I will go through in chronological order then.. sitting here at work and all I want to do is open up my book and carry on reading.. aaargh.. off with fitz trailing through a swamp..

I must admit that I didn't read them in order, either. I read the Liveship Traders first - in fact, that series drew me into reading Hobbs' books.

It seems a new thread pops up every couple of months asking this same question. Maybe it needs a sticky. I may be thinking of other forums to though. As for fits Liveships is not directly related. As for the Big plot especially the final book of Tawny Man, Liveships is directly and vitaly related. Plus there's a lot of moments in tawnyman where you might miss the significance if you haven't gone through Lifeships.

People generally have two reactions to Liveships. Either it's not enough like farseers so they hate it. Or they are a little unsettled by how different it is at first but soon grow to love it. (That's me) I actually read the first few Chapters of Fools Erand and realized that I was missing info so I read all of liveships before going on.

I had exactly the same query myself about 4 months ago, should I go straight on with Fitz or embark on Live Ships. I decided to go with Liveships, mostly because I would have hated things popping up in Tawny Man which I didn't understand and be annoyed that I had been too impatient to read the books and have all the back story.

I did not regret my decision either. It took quite a while to get into the story, there are a whole load more characters to get to know and you spent time with each from the POV. Once I was sucked in I loved them. Sure, there were certain strains of the story I was more interested in than others but they were a great read (Hobb is brilliant) and they do give you a nice insight into events in Tawny Man.

I would really advise you to give them a go, there are links (one MAJOR) with the other books and if you enjoy Hobb you won't be dissapointed!!

i didn'y reasd them in order. i really didn't like liveships at all. i think you can not read them and still have the tawny man bits make sense, after all, fitz never knew about the liveship stuff and the tawny man is all in his pov. i got through to teh second tawny man book without having read liveships, then i went and got them just because of amber. i didn't enjou them, in honesty. i had tried to read them when they first came out, but found the serpants, and the cahracters, very unpleasant. i forced myself to read it again, but i don't like them at all. i just hated most people in them!

readiong them will make a bit more sense of a few things in tawny man. one episode in particular, where liveship characters end up in tawny man world. but i still think you can avoid them if you found you didn't like them that much

first i read assasin's quest then towny man then the assasin book 1 and 2 and then the liveship traders.
better read in proper order at the end you will see why

I'd read them in order. I agree you don't have to but given the choice, why not.

I did that and I have regretted it ever since. I read the Faseer first, then Tawny Man and then The Liveship Traders. I think reading them in order is better. If I could have gone back in time and read them in order, then I would.

Kitera

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Science & Nature 10
ColGray Critiques 45
sinister42 Critiques 43
kaufmannp Critiques 14
M Technology 3