The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay

Rahl Windsong

Last of the Windsong Clan
I recently found The Fionavar Tapestry at my local bookstore and I bought it on the recommendation of a friend. This book seems to be the three books, The Summer Tree, The Wandering Tree, and The Darkest Road. My question is were these origianlly released as seperate novels and if that is the case I wonder if the seperate books are still available? Quite a good read so far too! :)

Rahl

In both cases: Yes. At least, here in the U.S. they're still available... I just checked on the Barnes & Noble site, and they list them as in print. The edition I have is a book club issue of the first edition, and they were released as separate books.

I finished this series a month ago and really enjoyed it. If I had any critism it would be with the number of "thus's" and "thou's" etc that seemed to creep in and feel a tiny bit out of place. I also found some of the bits over the top when describing someone or other's great sorrow etc.

On the whole though an excellent read.

Kay's other standalone novels, particularly (IMO) The Lions of Al-Rassan and A Song for Arbonne, are excellent! He has a new one releasing called Ysabel next year.

I love GGK! He's my favorite author in a writerly way. His writing is beautiful :D The stories seem to sometimes leave a bit to be desired although they are really great. My favorites I would say are the two Sarantium books and The Lions of Al-Rassan.

I enjoyed the Fionavar Tapestry but I thought that the two last books (Wandering Fire and Darkest Road) were a bit over the top. I would not reread them, especially Darkest Road. Still, he does write extremely well and I envy his skill >_<

When the wandering fire
Strikes the heart of stone
Will you follow?
Will you leave your home?
Will you leave your life?
Will you take
The Longest Road?"

I love that!

I read that series quite a while ago but it was such a great series I can never forget it, I especially loved that sad song about one of the characters losing his loved one

I read that series quite a while ago but it was such a great series I can never forget it, I especially loved that sad song about one of the characters losing his loved one

Rachel's Song, aye that one brought the misty eyes!

The only part of this story that bothers me slightly is the fact that these 5 people are wisked away to another world and that does not really seem to be all that spectacular, they just seem to accept that like going to the store for milk.

Late but better than never...I read the series around 1985 from my local library when the books hadn't been around for long and they were definitely released as 3 seperate novels Rahl.

He's got more than 4 threads now doesn't he? Put 'im in the authors section. Yeah. Still putting off Fionavar 'cause I don't like whisked away to another world stories so much. grrrr My to read list is getting crazy. I guess I'll have to quit my job so I can read more. Looking forward to the new one.

He's got more than 4 threads now doesn't he? Put 'im in the authors section. Yeah. Still putting off Fionavar 'cause I don't like whisked away to another world stories so much. grrrr My to read list is getting crazy. I guess I'll have to quit my job so I can read more. Looking forward to the new one.

I really enjoyed how he explained why these five people were so receptive to the idea of being "whisked away to another world" and how that other world tied everything together. It was "brightly woven" to use a phrase often used in that story. It took him all three books to explainit all but it was well worth the read in my honest oppinion.

Anyway I just finished it and I found it to be one of the best books I read in 2006, well I guess its three books but I read it as one.

Rahl

I immensely enjoy Kay's books, but I feel he comes awry when he tries longer-form stories. Fionavar is his weakest work to date and Sarantine is not much better (although Sarantine is stronger than Fionavar, certainly). Tigana, A Song for Arbonne, The Lions of Al-Rassan and The Last Light of the Sun are all truly great works though, and I'm intrigued by all the amazing reviews for Ysabel.

I immensely enjoy Kay's books, but I feel he comes awry when he tries longer-form stories. Fionavar is his weakest work to date and Sarantine is not much better (although Sarantine is stronger than Fionavar, certainly). Tigana, A Song for Arbonne, The Lions of Al-Rassan and The Last Light of the Sun are all truly great works though, and I'm intrigued by all the amazing reviews for Ysabel.

Yes, it will be interesting to read Ysabel, as it's in such a different vein than his other recent work. I wasn't much of a fan of Tigana myself, but I loved A Song for Arbonne (and especially Lions of Al-Rassan), so I am excited to see him return to southern France for his setting! I don't think Last Light of the Sun was very good. The writing style REALLY got on my nerves. "Se was, in fact, she realized, thoroughly annoyed, it seemed, by the number of commas, as it were."

Fionavar is his weakest work to date and Sarantine is not much better (although Sarantine is stronger than Fionavar, certainly).

Hmmm... I'm in the middle of the 1st Sarantine book right now and am enjoying it immensely. This is my first Kay book, however. So if you are saying it pales compared to most of his other stuff, then I definitely can't wait to dig in to the rest. I was going to read Last Light of the Sun next. Any opinions?

Last edited:
I LOVE Kay, and the fact that he's Canadian. I wish he'd write more though. I have read and reread all of his works, and bought Last Light of the Sun in hardcover (something I rarely do).

I love Guy Gavriel Kay, and the Fionavor Tapestry is my favourite of his books (although it is technically a series). The writing is just so beautiful, and there's so much depth to the book. Everytime I re-read them, I find things I never saw before. If you haven't read his books, you should

I really enjoyed how he explained why these five people were so receptive to the idea of being "whisked away to another world" and how that other world tied everything together. It was "brightly woven" to use a phrase often used in that story. It took him all three books to explainit all but it was well worth the read in my honest oppinion.

Anyway I just finished it and I found it to be one of the best books I read in 2006, well I guess its three books but I read it as one.

Rahl

Thanks for responding. I know I'm judging the book before reading it and since I'm crazy about most his other books I will read it some day. Maybe it will be like that one Kurosawa movie I haven't watched just because I can't stand the though of having none left that I haven't seen. BTW I bought Ysabelle but trying to finnish at least one of two books I'm halfway through before I start it.

"The Fionavar Tapestry" is one of the few books I've read that has left me with such an ache in my heart I almost wanted to cry, because I just didn't want it to be over.

I'd say that I'd like to see a sequel come out, but I'd be scared that a sequel might somehow despoil the original.

I'm not surprised. Tiganna did the same for me. And sailing to Sarantium had me completely on the edge of my seat. The man can write!