The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay

I was wondering if this was a good start with reading Kay? I was thinking of at least reading book one this month, but I also own a couple of his other works. Just never got around to him before. The story of my TBR pile. So many books, so little time.

I was wondering if this was a good start with reading Kay? I was thinking of at least reading book one this month, but I also own a couple of his other works. Just never got around to him before. The story of my TBR pile. So many books, so little time.

A lot of people have found the books to be too wordy and the writing to be amateurish. I recommend starting with his next book, Tigana. You don't want ot be turned off early on. You could always go back and give em a try later.

A lot of people have found the books to be too wordy and the writing to be amateurish. I recommend starting with his next book, Tigana. You don't want ot be turned off early on. You could always go back and give em a try later.

Oh, thanks for that.

yep, it looks like other than these, there are just threads with GGK in the thread title. I counted at least 3

Finished the series and enjoyed it - changed my mind about it being young adult fiction, some quite adult themes in there at points

I had never read any Guy Gavriel Kay till a few days ago, though I recalled seeing the name and the Fionavar series title. I was interested as a writer in how to open a portal fantasy and so was reading some 'Look Inside' on Amazon (that's what they are for, right? :) ) I came across the first of the Fionavar books and read the sample. It's not bad, though the characters seem to under-react a bit to being whisked off to another world and seem quite keen to go (most of the five). Five characters seems a lot to handle so am wondering how the rest of it goes.