Making Money - the next discworld

Same here!:) It's amazing how Mr. Pratchett can keep the inspiration and imagination high for all these years! He must have a very active mind and keen interests in life and the world.

Is there any news as to when this book will be available to buy?
It has already been written,I've listened to the first chapter or two when pterry did a reading at the con.

It will be sooner than later, spring to early summer I am led to believe but I may be able to clarify this after the weekend.

It involves Moist receiving an offer that he best not refuse:eek: from Vetinari after the good job he done for the post office,needless to say he did not want to do it but had no choice:mad: :D *waits with baited breath*

oh goodie we love a new read, and the witches eg granny and nanny turn up in the winter smith and grannys in them all with a bit part you evan get to see a softer side well sort of

allegra said:
It'll be published in October

Bother! too long! and after WWD had raised my hopes for an early release, as well!;)

I thought he'd settled into a routine where he released one in March, then September, then March, then September, etc.

It's interesting how on the Wiki page it says:

In answer to a question asked in New York City during his tour for Wintersmith regarding the dark turn the Discworld series had taken, Pratchett said that Making Money would be more humorous and lighthearted

I'm reading the early Rincewind books at the mo, and it's amazing how different they are to has newer works - in fact, from at least Thief of Time onwards.

Whereas the newer books seem more... "refined", for want of a better word, his earlier works are raw Pratchett. It's a completely different style.

There's an earlier jump as well - around Guards, Guards.

It's quite interesting to read them from the very first book, to Wintersmith, and see how he's developed as a writer over 20 or 30 years or so.

In fact, that goes for any author.

[SIZE=-1]Adversus solem ne loquitor, Lenny.
But it's particularly noticeable with PTerry, because the very early books are i) still in print, and ii) still read as part of the series. most authors are not as productive, and by the time they've written as many as he has, the first ones are a long time ago!
[/SIZE]

You can definitely see it happening with Rowling.

I agree on there not being as productive authors. One name that does spring to mind, though, is Enid Blyton. I've heard it said that she would sit and write a book in 3 days. And if anyone even dared to interrupt her, she'd go mental at them.

Adversus solem ne meiito, Pyan. :p

The earlier books were indeed much more fun because PTerry would throw in a lot of references and spoofs and pop-culture references - they were a lot like a treasure hunt because you're always looking out to see if you can guess where that bit came from :) I really used to love that. The spoofing, while still present, has gotten a lot less obvious in recent novels - they are more PTerry writing as PTerry. In fact, I believe he said something like that in one interview - that he wrote the earlier novels to meet market demand and then later decided that he was going to write for himself. Of course, I can't recall the link off-hand to substantiate this. Besides, if I posted a link, this post would go into moderation :p

Well, the interviews are here Interviews

I don't remember which ones, but he does state that he was aiming more for plot than for parody after a certain point (was it sorcery?). I think his books have improved immensely, although I still love going back to the early ones and looking for the jokes that I still haven't got even after reading them all 5 times :p

Well, the interviews are here Interviews

I don't remember which ones, but he does state that he was aiming more for plot than for parody after a certain point (was it sorcery?). I think his books have improved immensely, although I still love going back to the early ones and looking for the jokes that I still haven't got even after reading them all 5 times :p

Some people seem to want him to write The Colour of Magic over and over again...... But if he did that he wouldn't be Terry Pratchett. He'd be Piers Anthony..... Well, a funny Piers Anthony....... Who could actually write.:rolleyes:

The early discworld make me laugh more and the later ones make me think more. I love both.

Some people seem to want him to write The Colour of Magic over and over again...... But if he did that he wouldn't be Terry Pratchett.

As Allegra mentions, the earlier ones were much more fun but the later ones are more intellectually stimulating. So it all evens out :) Besides, who's to say that PTerry will not morph again? "Going Postal" seemed to have a slightly different vibe to his other ones and I'm waiting to see if that repeats in "Making Money" ...

okay ive read thro every1's quotes and im sure no-ones mentioned it but i remember hearing from somewhere far far away that makin money is about the first bank of ankh-morpork being opend, super happy about it staring moist tho! he rocked in goin postal.

Not too found of Tiffany tho, weatherwax ROCKS! XD x