Chris Wooding

rune

rune
Are there any other fans of this author?

I've only read The Weavers of Saramyr and hoping to get my hands on the next book after this sometime in the future :)

However, I do know he has written a few more books, see details before of what I could find out. I dont mind YA books if they are reasonably mature, but I dont know enough about this authors works to judge.

Broken Sky

1. Broken Sky Part 1 (1999)

2. Broken Sky Part 2 (1999)

3. Broken Sky Part 3 (2000)

4. Broken Sky Part 4 (2000)

5. Broken Sky Part 5 (2000)

6. Broken Sky Part 6 (2000)

7. Broken Sky Part 7 (2000)

8. Broken Sky Part 8 (2000)

9. Broken Sky Part 9 (2001)

Braided Path

1. The Weavers of Saramyr (2003)

2. Skein of Lament (2004)

3. Ascendancy Veil (2005)

Novels

Catchman (1999)

The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray (2001)

Crashing (2003)

Endgame (2003)

Kerosene (2003)

Poison (2003)

The City on the Sea (2005)

I love the Weavers of Saramyr series. (tried to start a forum in fact, but it never got off the ground) Skein of Lament is very good, the storyline is progressing nicely, just as good as the Weavers of Saramyr, possibly better. You learn a lot more about their world, and there are just as many plot twists;)

I haven't read any of his other stuff, but I suppose I might at some point if I have nothing better to read;)

dwndrgn said:
I've never heard of him. I really need for my library to reopen. My 'to read' list is getting a bit absurd.
I can recommend the Weavers of Saramyr for a start with this author. It is quite different to anything else I have read and I liked the oriental feel to the story :D

I will get the next book for this series, but at the moment there are so many I want.

I could do with some feedback on his other stuff because, as you can see, he has written quite a few books.

I've just finished reading Skein of Lament.

Personally I didnt think it was as engaging as the first book as there were quite a few storylines running at the same time, and that's due to the main characters from the first book, being split up. There were some good scenes and once again I enjoyed how magical abilities were used. The Weavers, probably are one of my favourite mad guys:D , and do bring a nastiness to the story that I quite enjoy.
(No comments on my frame of mind :D )

Anyone else got comments on this book?

I thought The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray was excellent. It reminded me a bit of Garth Nix's Sabriel and Philip Pullman's trilogy-- always a good thing! I believe the US version is marketed more towards the horror crowd, though I prefer to think of it as a dark fantasy. The setting is an absolute treat: a spooky and well constructed alternate Victorian London. Interesting characters for the most part, with a few that really linger in the mind. I also read Poison, which I didn't like quite as much, but was also well-paced and thoughtful.

Ailanna said:
I thought The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray was excellent. It reminded me a bit of Garth Nix's Sabriel and Philip Pullman's trilogy-- always a good thing! I believe the US version is marketed more towards the horror crowd, though I prefer to think of it as a dark fantasy. The setting is an absolute treat: a spooky and well constructed alternate Victorian London. Interesting characters for the most part, with a few that really linger in the mind. I also read Poison, which I didn't like quite as much, but was also well-paced and thoughtful.

I've been wondering about his other books and how mature they are.
As his other books do seem to be aimed towards the YA market, I have been reluctant to get any.

The Haunting did appeal to me as I like a dark fantasy. However, I didnt think Sabriel by Garth Nix or His Dark Material by Pullman were particularily dark or that mature either.
I had hoped The Haunting would be darker than that.

I'd be interested in reading your thoughts on this book, as I am considering getting it myself :)

Just ordered Woodling's novels a couple of weeks ago, I decided to go with his 'Braided Path ' work, a random chcoie that I heard good things about, by an author I saw China Mieville refer to with some measure of respect.
Reviewing books is good and bad, in one way you read a lot of books you probably wouldn't have in the first place and thus increase the knowledge base, but damn it's hard in regards to the reading what I buy aspect. I was jsut able to get throught my recent order of Martha Wells novels (which I loved) (especially Death of the Necromancer), and looking forward to Woodling.

Wow. Completely forgot about this thread. Embarassing:eek:
I finished it quite a while ago, so I don't remember all the details, but I did enjoy the book overall. All the story arcs are finished off well, and while there are no huge shocks, its still a satisfying ending. Wooding is still as ruthless with his characters as ever, and although it does develop into a bit too much of a "group of young women against the world" type novel (which I'm not keen on), there is more about the world's gods and spirits. The battle scenes are as good as ever, too. I think if he kept writing this series longer, he might start to become almost Erikson-esque, which is certainly high praise.
What might be a good idea would be to get a bit of a refresher on the first and second books before you read it. I forgot that a character was dead until it was mentioned in the book. It threw me for a couple of chapters;)

Thanks for posting your thoughts. Feel a bit easier about getting this last instalment, was a bit nervous it was going to be long winded. I felt the 2nd one rambled a bit.

I'm reading Alaizabel. I was about to give up about one-third through -- didn't think the characters had enough dimension, thought events were a bit repetitive -- when the plot suddenly became very interesting.

Kelpie said:
I'm reading Alaizabel. I was about to give up about one-third through -- didn't think the characters had enough dimension, thought events were a bit repetitive -- when the plot suddenly became very interesting.

Spill the beans, how did it become interesting :D

The plot, which had been a bit thin before, began to throw out some interesting questions, complications, and possibilities, and I became eager to find out what it all meant. I've read about 80 percent of the book now, and although some questions have been answered, there are still enough of them left open to keep pulling me along.