Blakes Seven

SpaceShip

Outta sight
I've searched the forums but can only find old (or closed) discussions about this '70s SF series. My two sons who were about 8 and 10 when it came out loved it and we'd make sure we were in when it came on TV. They both had their favourites - one was always Avon and the other Blake. I was usually Cally. Terry Nation (of the Daleks fame) was the creator and a good job he made of it too. I believe they made a follow up some time after the first (I believe 4) series that wasn't too good. How many others of you remember it, who did you believe yourself to be when it came on TV and wouldn't it be good if the original series were shown again? Do you think it would be that dated if it did?

It's in the TV series/other series section.

I borrowed a friends DVD of series one, a while back and although it did look dated, I still enjoyed it.
Terry Nation was one of my fav scifi tv writers. I also liked Tripods even though it was a rip off of War of the Worlds

It was regularly shown on the UK Gold channel until last year. There have been attempts to produce a new series set further in the future but it stalled. It has it's own forum here but nothing happening right now. Some of those old threads tell the story of the attempts at a revival.

The Liberator looked like a cardboard cutout on a lollipop stick. I remember my dad having a good laugh at the acting, especially that of Avon.

But I enjoyed it, until they lost the Liberator and ended up on some third rate cargo ship.

My god we used to worship that program, just loved it!

My favourite was Villa to be honest.

I must be very strange because I actually liked that third series.

Don't get me wrong, the Liberator was a wonderful ship, but between the Liberator, Zen and Orac, there was absolutely no problem that they couldn't have solved for them. That is a scenario that leads to poor storytelling because they are utterly invincible.

While aboard the Scorpio, or as Andrew described it "some third rate cargo ship" they were always in danger. They were real "Space Pirates", constantly on the run, they each had their own agendas, and you never knew who trusted who. It also reminded me very much of the RPG Traveller which I had played at the time.

So the third rate tinpot rust bucket cargo ship was called the Scorpio. I'd forgotten. Your point about being too owerful is a good one, I'd also forgotten about Orac.

Your knowledge and recall of this series is disturbing. You're not... gasp... Blake are you?

LOL
No, I'm not Blake, but I've seen it again only a few years ago on UK Gold. It has been available on Video and was available on DVD. So, I'm surprised people are saying they haven't seen it for so long actually. I would not say I was a great fan, but it does have it's own very dedicated fans, and I was following the progress of this possible sequel that was in the works for a few years until it all fell apart. I was signed up to a periodic e-newsletter about it.

It was made very cheaply. The joke about the wobbling sets is really true. There are lots of mistakes in the production. But the stories were pretty good, and it was BRITISH. People have been asking here why we can't make decent scifi TV, well we made this.

I really enjoyed it, although I was very young when it was first on...Well...8-ish...-ish...

My favourite was always Villa...I thought he was cool...In fact I think he was a huge influence on my growing up!!...I've never forgotten the "How much wood.." thing!!...

But I always thought that once the Liberator was done it that it went downhill...Shame really as the effects did get better...I quite liked the Scorpio i suppose...Oh Aye...Slave, I'd forgotten him..."Yes master"...

But no I haven't seen it for years...It was always on at an inconvienient time for me to see it on UK Gold...

Damn it, I really really need to watch Blakes 7. The fresher's have promsied to lend me some DVD's at some point.

Loved Blakes 7 way back all those years ago. I was overjoyed when I learnt it was coming out on DVD and have since collected all four seasons. I actually showed them to my son and he has really enjoyed them all, although the final episode was very disappointing for him. He threated to send Chris Boucher a not so nice letter for writing what he though was a less than satisfactory conclusion to a good series.
Even the "wobbly sets" and somewhat outlandish outfits didnt put him off.
I was originally a Blake fan the first time around, and that remained, but I really enjoyed watching Vila this time, I think he had some of the best lines.
Its been just as enjoyable watching it so many years later.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Brian G Turner Blake's 7 3
S Blake's 7 0
Foxbat Blake's 7 9
Dave Blake's 7 15
Dave Blake's 7 18